October 21, 2016 - Teenager bamboozles England Teenage off-spinner Mehedi Hasan to ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Local weed cultivation on the rise Marijuana cultivation is on the ris ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Pollard vents on his failed UAE tour PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad – Kie ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Teen faces indecency charge A St George teen who was charged in ... +++ October 21, 2016 - GAIA wage dispute resolution in sight A prolonged and sometimes bitter wa ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Combermere thrash Graydon Sealy Former champions Graydon Sealy had ... +++

Sombre farewell for three

A somber mood has overtaken the Garfield Sobers Sports Complex where scores of mourners have gathered for the funeral service of the October 25 crash victims Shakira and Shameka Shepherd and Wavenie Johnson.

Before the 11:30 a.m. viewing of the bodies even started, there was a long queue of mourners silently waiting to pay their last respects to the young women, all dressed in cream and white lace dresses, and adorned with pink and purple jewelry. Their caskets were also decorated with flowers.

Saddened family members could be seen comforting each other — the pain of their loss etched all over their faces.

Among the many people scheduled to deliver moving tributes at the 1p.m. funeral service are Attorney General Adriel Brathwaite and Minister of Transport Michael Lashley, both members of parliament for St Philip, the parish in which three young women lived.

Following the service, their bodies will be buried side by side at the Bushy Park Cemetery.

IMG-20151110-WA0005 IMG-20151110-WA0007 IMG-20151110-WA0008

gather for funeral

Hundreds have gathered at the Garfield Sobers Sports Complex.

13 Responses to Sombre farewell for three

1. Cheryl November 10, 2015 at 1:30 pm

Relatives I never met on my late mothers side RIP to my cousins taken to soon

2. Olivia sandiford November 10, 2015 at 1:40 pm

Our condolences to the family from NY

3. jrsmith November 10, 2015 at 1:59 pm

This is a very sad and sombre, time and day, not in Barbados , or else I would have attended the funeral as respect to all the girls families. I do hope bajans take this time to , reflect , that this scene could have been anyone. and be careful , bajans wouldn’t see this in the future. I have this feeling , another was involve in this accident , travelling in the opposite direction.

4. Myrna Sasso November 10, 2015 at 2:54 pm

I have followed this incident from the day it happened as if I had known the young ladies. I have looked everyday for updates because it touched my very soul. I pray that God continues to give the families the strength today as they say their final googbyes. I know their memories will be forever etched in their hearts. I too will remember them for a long time. May their souls RIP

5. Tracey B November 10, 2015 at 3:45 pm

I just hope people are respectful & don’t post any pictures of these 3 women in their caskets on social media. Condolences to their respective families.

6. Barbados Association of Southern California (BASC) November 10, 2015 at 6:25 pm

BASC sends our condolences to the families of these three beautiful young ladies who have lost their lives so tragically at such a young age. May God be with you all and take you through this very difficult time. May their souls forever RIP.

7. Evadney November 10, 2015 at 7:28 pm

may the families of these three young ladies,look to the the good Lord above, who knows best, to guide and see them through these trying times.

May Shameka, Sharika and Wavenie all REST IN PEACE

8. Ometa richards November 10, 2015 at 8:27 pm

My condolences to the family from Queens,New York and formerly from Two Mile Hill. Our prayers are with you.

9. Heather Williams November 10, 2015 at 10:12 pm

may they rest in peace May God comfort their families

10. Deyonisha f November 10, 2015 at 10:26 pm

I’m sorry for the family lost I pray that there soul rest in peace

11. Sandra November 11, 2015 at 9:31 am

o Lord we call upon you in our time of sorrow,that you give us the strength and will to bear our heavy burden. Be mindful of us and have mercy on us while we struggle to comprehend life’s hardship. keep us ever in your watch,till we can walk again with light hearts and renewed spirits.

12. Ann Best November 11, 2015 at 9:11 pm

May they all rest in peace & rise in Glory. Amen

13. beverley November 14, 2015 at 6:30 am

I am very sorry for the lost of those three young girls my heart goes out to the family and may they rest in peace .