News Feed

October 27, 2016 - United win Manchester derby Juan Mata struck to win a tight Man ... +++ October 27, 2016 - IAAF wants Bolt’s services KINGSTON, Jamaica – IAAF Pres ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Proper shutdown protocol needed, says Bynoe The Department of Emergency Managem ... +++ October 27, 2016 - ‘Out of touch’ Economist Ryan Straughn says the la ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Lowe looking to protect the south coast A senior policymaker has warned tha ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Road Hockey 5s hit halfway mark After three weeks of competition th ... +++

Murder rap # 2

Ince not required to plead to capital offence

COURT TODAY BLOCKJust as he did last Friday when he initially appeared in court in connection with the disappearance of St Philip resident Marcelle Smith, Cheriss Ricardo Omar Ince made his second court appearance today – again without any fanfare – accused of murdering the elderly woman.


There were no relatives or friends outside in the yard or inside the District ‘C’ Magistrates’ Court when the 36-year-old carpenter of Nursery No.2, St Philip, appeared before Magistrate Christopher Birch. The emptiness of the courtyard belied the fact that the accused had been on the lips of many Barbadians for more than a week as the high-profile case unfolded.

Ince spent less than a minute in the dock before his matter was over. As he did last Friday before Magistrate Douglas Frederick, he again stood quietly as Magistrate Birch read two indictable charges against him: murdering Smith, 75, of Farm Road, St Philip, between October 12 and 24, stealing, between October 12 and 17, the $14,000 car which she used to drive – the property of her husband, retired Lodge School principal Aurelius Smith.

Ince, who was on bail for murder at the time the offences were committed, was not required to plead to the charges. “You are remanded in custody until December 2, 2015 when you return to this court. Good day to you,” Magistrate Birch concluded.

Smith went missing three weeks ago, prompting an extensive search.  An autopsy this week confirmed that a female body found just over a week ago in a ravine on Halton Plantation, St Philip, on the border with St George, was that of the missing mother of three.

The car was previously found abandoned in Chelston Park, Culloden Road, St Michael.

One Response to Murder rap # 2

  1. Wayne Dread November 5, 2015 at 12:28 pm

    Will this be the straw that breaks the camel back? Will the justice system be accountable and responsible for this crime? Is it a law that governs involvement in a crime and if this individual was on a charge for over ten years,and was allowed to walk free and commit additional offenses including the murders he is accused of, can we consider the entire justice system as a participant and should those people ,places and things that govern us and having failed us, be looked upon as and of the same character of the perpetrator, THERE ARE MORE QUESTIONS THAN ANSWERS. REFORM NOW, LATER IS TOO LATE


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *