October 24, 2016 - Man on firearm and ammo charge Police have arrested and charged 54 ... +++ October 24, 2016 - 62-year-old St Lucy resident missing Police are seeking the assistance o ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Today’s weather A tropical wave is affecting the is ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Police probe death at Golden Ridge, St George Police are investigating the sudden ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Possible funding for NGOs The Division of Economic Affairs ha ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Barbados welcomes MV Viking Star The MV Viking Star docked for the f ... +++

Surprise raid

A landlord and tenants of a Belle Main Road, St Michael property were left shaken yesterday afternoon following a police raid which ended with the arrests of two men and the reported seizure of firearms and allegedly stolen electrical items.

Landlord Julie Stewart said the search, which resulted in a bedroom door being knocked down, was a surprising and frightening experience for her and tenants even though police assured them they were not in harm’s way.

She said what left her stunned was the fact that the man she considered to be a perfect tenant, who paid his rent in advance, and was always helpful around the house and to his roommates, was handcuffed and taken away, along with another male who was in his company at the time.

“I was downstairs in my apartment and I came out and they [police] told me to go back down and they would come and talk to me,” Stewart said, relating the experience. “I really was not looking for this because he was the perfect tenant. He cleans, he would help the old guy. I was really frightened because there were all these guns up here.”

Stewart said the police officers were professional throughout the exercise and at no time did they make her or her tenants feel threatened.

The wanted man reportedly jumped off a patio, which is about ten feet high, and landed on the edge of a gully, in an attempt to evade capture by the police.

One tenant said he had just gone on to the patio to relax when he heard footsteps, looked up and saw a group of policemen heading in his direction. He said they told him to remain where he was.

“I thought they were making sport until I see the guns and them looking serious. But them tell me I ain’t in trouble, them say, I good,” the tenant recalled.

The tenant said the individual who was arrested was always nice to him, even offering him a plate of food sometimes. However, he said he always thought something was strange about the man who, in recent weeks, was repeatedly saying that he wanted to leave the house.

As the operation took place, onlookers gathered on the other side of the busy road, waiting to see the faces of the men who were taken away in police vehicles.

When Barbados TODAY contacted police spokesman, acting Assistant Superintendent David Welch, he was unable to give any details, except to say that police were continuing investigations into the matter.

15 Responses to Surprise raid

1. Sharon Ellis
    Sharon Ellis October 27, 2015 at 9:49 am

Keep up the good work ! RBPF !

2. Ouida Burnham
    Ouida Burnham October 27, 2015 at 9:50 am

Nice nice nice work

3. jrsmith October 27, 2015 at 10:06 am

Well done , RBPF, well done, they are all big boys until the police arrive, they run to get away. now we want to see the big ups criminals who is protected in Barbados , suffer the same fate. On they way to DODDS.

4. Wayne Dread
    Wayne Dread October 27, 2015 at 10:47 am

Is that a fashion statement , 2 pairz of spectacles? Just asking

• Wayne Dread
      Wayne Dread October 27, 2015 at 11:51 am

Francis Blackman-StJohn, before I responded, I scoured your page and I noted a few integral factors that influenced my response, but first I would give you credit for your conclusion that I must be a wearer of glasses, ” I do” Upon doing my initial check on your page, I concluded that you are competently and honorably decorated to respond, I also noted that one may be judged by the company they keep, I am impressed by your friends list,some of whom I’ve known all my life, thanks for your service to man and country, keep your nose clean, I may be on the corner of your kerchief, blessings

5. Claire Battershield
    Claire Battershield October 27, 2015 at 11:10 am

You really cannot tell by looking .Saying the right things , dressing “correct” ,acting courteous and all that does not mean you are not a criminal or criminal minded .All is well that ends well .

6. Cheryl Alleyne-Brooks
    Cheryl Alleyne-Brooks October 27, 2015 at 11:34 am

These things gave me goose bumps too to see how the police are doing such a great job and then the courts are letting them down along with the public.I honestly pray for them in their hard work and effort to help the country

7. Cheryl Alleyne-Brooks
    Cheryl Alleyne-Brooks October 27, 2015 at 11:35 am

Sometimes the people that do the worst crime keep their selves in order to redirect

8. Trina Lowe
    Trina Lowe October 27, 2015 at 11:47 am

9. dave October 27, 2015 at 12:02 pm

Barbados is in shambles and the Prime Minister instead of providing inspired leadership walks about talking nonsense about “running people in the Sea ” and all sorts of Bovine Excrement . This DLP Govt is a Blight to the Country and whenever they form the Govt , Barbados does not do well

10. Thomas Katt
    Thomas Katt October 27, 2015 at 12:16 pm

When are they going to start arresting some of the biggest criminals in Bim? The politicians

11. st.Clair Worrell October 27, 2015 at 1:01 pm

Well said Dave !!! Couldn’t have said it better myself

12. Michelle Stephens
    Michelle Stephens October 27, 2015 at 1:29 pm

13. cecil p October 27, 2015 at 8:27 pm

it’s funny every one seems to be a nice good guy until they take someone out and I don’t mean for lunch. some of the nicest people do some real wicked …. Dr Jackals Mr and Hide he was a real nice guy too and u know what he used to do .RBPF great job now that’s what I’m talking about keep up the good work

14. jrsmith October 28, 2015 at 6:36 am