October 23, 2016 - Remembering David Thompson Today marks the sixth anniversary o ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Today’s weather The Barbados Meteorological office ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Lashley urges innovation Minister of Culture, Youth and Spor ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Christmas Wonderland is back After a 12-year break, Simpson Moto ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Husbands wins St James South nomination Sandra Husbands has been elected th ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Burst main near Springer Memorial A crew from the Barbados Water Aut ... +++

UPDATE- Four women die in car crash

One of the victims of this morning’s deadly car crash was Shameka Shepherd, who celebrated her birthday on Saturday.

The 23-year-old of Long Bay, St Philip is a former student of Deighton Griffith secondary.

shameka Shepherd

She was among a party of five friends, who had just come from a celebratory event, when the silver grey Suzuki motor car they were travelling in, crashed into a guard wall on Two Mile Hill, St Michael.

Also deceased are Shakira Shepherd, 22, of Long Bay, St Philip; Waveney Johnson, 25, of Atlantic Park, St Philip; and Kayrie Brathwaite, 18, of Long Bay, St Philip.

From left, Shakira, Shameka and Nakisha Shepherd.

From left, Shakira, Shameka and Nakisha Shepherd.

Police say Shakira, Shameka and Waveney died at the scene while Kayrie and a fifth passenger, Nakisha Shepherd, 23, of Long Bay, St. Philip, were taken to the hospital by ambulances. Kayrie died at the hospital and Nakisha is in critical condition.

Members of the Barbados Fire Service assisted in the recovery of a body from the badly damaged car.

Transport Minister Michael Lashley, who was among those gathered at the scene, expressed shock and sadness over the tragedy.

He told Barbados TODAY the victims, who were all from St Philip, had previously participated in the St Philip carnival.

Michael Lashley

“This is a very tragic day for me as a parliamentary representative,” he said.

As a mark of respect, Lashley has cancelled his annual karaoke event, which was scheduled for later today.

43 Responses to UPDATE- Four women die in car crash

1. Brandi I. Gilkes
    Brandi I. Gilkes October 25, 2015 at 10:15 am

2. Jema Goodluck
    Jema Goodluck October 25, 2015 at 10:22 am

Rip young ladies.

3. myzzblessfull October 25, 2015 at 10:25 am

wow it so sad to see so many lost of life so many accident.

4. Chaela Patricia
    Chaela Patricia October 25, 2015 at 10:26 am

My condolence to her family….R.I.P & R.I.G

5. Elvis Howard
    Elvis Howard October 25, 2015 at 10:31 am

My heart goes out to my former class mate Glorene on the passing of your daughter . likewise to the parents and relative of the other young ladies. May god be with all in this sad time.

6. Kathy Welch
    Kathy Welch October 25, 2015 at 10:41 am

My condolences goes out to one of my besties and old school mate Glorene and to all of the families in their time of sorrow

7. Joceline Blackett
    Joceline Blackett October 25, 2015 at 10:50 am

Condolences to the families and friends of the young ladies. May their souls rest in eternal peace. This is so, so sad for the parish of St. Philip to mourn five young ladies deaths at one time.

8. banks October 25, 2015 at 10:51 am

We are losing our children too young. There is nothing so important to get to that speeding should take our kids. Slow down people.

9. Tristan John
    Tristan John October 25, 2015 at 10:57 am

10. Dwayne Jordan October 25, 2015 at 10:58 am

Head hurts, Carey your were such a sweet girl, too sweet for this world. RIP

11. Tristan John
    Tristan John October 25, 2015 at 11:02 am

Im sure he don’t mean like that lol

12. Keiana Reid-Maynard
    Keiana Reid-Maynard October 25, 2015 at 11:05 am

May they r.i.p

13. Jean Rycroft
    Jean Rycroft October 25, 2015 at 11:07 am

How sad.may they rest in peace.

14. Venice Daisley
    Venice Daisley October 25, 2015 at 11:18 am

So sad ,sincere condolences to the family.

15. Liz DaSilva Vieira
    Liz DaSilva Vieira October 25, 2015 at 11:25 am

Condolences to the families of these girls who have been lost so early in their lives. RIP. St. Philip will be a very sad community to have lost so many at the same time.

16. Marilyn Weekes
    Marilyn Weekes October 25, 2015 at 11:29 am

So tragic. Sincere prayers & condolences to all the family & friends.

17. Su-Yan Gay
    Su-Yan Gay October 25, 2015 at 11:42 am

So very sad!

18. Lise Hansen
    Lise Hansen October 25, 2015 at 11:46 am

how terribly sad …… my sincere condolences to the families …..

19. Sandra Mayers
    Sandra Mayers October 25, 2015 at 11:49 am

So sad RIP, gone too soon

20. leslie October 25, 2015 at 11:53 am

My condolences they will be missed to young my prayers are with the families

21. ken October 25, 2015 at 12:06 pm

I am deeply saddened by this tragedy. My deepest sympathies go out to their family and close ones.

22. Jackie Bayne
    Jackie Bayne October 25, 2015 at 12:11 pm

I do not have words..all I can say is lord have murcy ….my pray is With d family

23. Bostonian October 25, 2015 at 12:23 pm

Condolences goes out to the families of those young ladies, so sad

24. Bostonian October 25, 2015 at 12:25 pm

Slow down please young drivers please learn from other people’s mistakes slow down

25. Alleyne Heath
    Alleyne Heath October 25, 2015 at 12:37 pm

I feel this pain ….May the love of God console the families and friends of these young girls. May they R.I.P.
    So sad….

26. Alec Pierre October 25, 2015 at 1:19 pm

Our hearts go out to the families of those young deceased girls who have left us too soon and our prayers are with the survivor and her loved ones.

27. Lica October 25, 2015 at 1:35 pm

I will u miss you Shakira, I will always remember went I have my dental visit u will always talk with me n my hold my hand,
    Went Doc. Goodridge doing my filling caused I frightened 4
    Needle! Let light perpetual shine on her Rest in Peace!
    Young Bird!

28. Carlos Vega October 25, 2015 at 1:37 pm

Deepest sympathy to the family of the deceased.

29. arjun October 25, 2015 at 2:10 pm

Peace and guidance to everyone.As i said before TIME is removing many people in collabaration with the PLANET.Remember their is no such thing as COINCIDENCE.

30. Natasha Paton
    Natasha Paton October 25, 2015 at 3:46 pm

I send my love to the family and friends RIP.

31. Rosalind Eastmond
    Rosalind Eastmond October 25, 2015 at 4:18 pm

LORD have Mercy .
    Prays are with the Families .

32. carson c cadogan October 25, 2015 at 4:37 pm

Bajans have to learn that SPEED KILLS.

It is also alleged that the driver was pregnant. Maybe so, maybe not.

33. Shawndelle Pauline Greenidge
    Shawndelle Pauline Greenidge October 25, 2015 at 4:45 pm

May there soul RIP so sad for there family and friends

34. Charles Worrell October 25, 2015 at 5:17 pm

How many more need to die in this tragic way before we launch a massive campaign against speeding? How long will it take us to get the GIS, RADIO, TV AND EVERY vehicle at our disposal to join in this fight. look, bajans think that where they are going is too far and so, they have to speed up when in fact, it is but minutes away. WE HAVE TO EMPHASIZE this truth.
    TOO MANY ARE DYING ON THE ROAD!!! This is not even about policing because you can only do so much in that department. This is about changing the mind set of these drivers, many of whom are young people. They are hanging with they friends, partying and doing their thing and once done, caution is gone to the wind.
    TRANSPORT BOARD, lets get some late night buses on the road so as to remove the drunk or compromised driver….Lets get some taxis who can do some transporting after the parties….Lets get some rules in party shops where the keys to vehicles can be given up to owners for safe keeping.
    NOT SURE what you can really say to parents who have to bury their children..maybe, forget the car for a while until you are older? Maybe, make sure there is a designated driver WHO IS NOT GOING TO DRINK DURING THE TIME SO THAT YOU CAN GET HOME SAFELY????
    THESE are but some of the things we are going to have to look at……..TOO MANY OF OUR CHILDREN ARE DYING ON THE ROAD..!

• Bernard codrington. October 25, 2015 at 5:55 pm

May they rest in peace and rise in glory. Very sad. My condolences to their families.

35. Chris Wright October 25, 2015 at 7:07 pm

Sorry to see this happen again when lives gave been lost.
    There will always be speed on the roads anywhere but road conditions contributes much to accidents
    I am appalled by the condition of some of the roads in Barbados. There are engineers who can take a look at roads and conduct a survey of the conditions. Better yet let them be independent of the government to give an unbiased report to the people of Barbados.
    I hope that the life of these young ladies would be an incentive to conduct that report.
    May their souls Rest in peace, and their families be comforted during this period of mourning.
    Lastly, I hope there are public service announcements warning drivers of the peril of driving while using cell phones, the casualties speaks for themselves.

36. Alfred Shepherd October 25, 2015 at 8:30 pm

My condolences go out to the Shepherd family. My Grandfather James Agustus Shepherd was from St. Phillips and they are probably related to me. So it makes my heart even heavier to hear this news. I am so sorry and I will pray for the speedy recovery of the others involved and the Shepherd Family.

37. Tony Applewhaite
    Tony Applewhaite October 25, 2015 at 9:06 pm

very very sad my prays goes out the families and friends god bless

38. kathy-Ann Clarke October 26, 2015 at 8:01 am

Condolences to the families & friends and all those who mourn. I am prying for peace at this moment, and may the young ladies rest in peace.

39. plpeformance October 26, 2015 at 5:36 pm

40. Joseph Peebles October 27, 2015 at 12:55 pm

My condolences to the families. Praying for God’s comfort during your time of sorrow