Mottley hints at second waste to energy project
Opposition leader Mia Mottley has told members of the Barbados Labour Party it is possible that another waste to energy project could be on the cards for Barbados.
Mottley told the Barbados Labour Party’s 77th annual conference last night that she has posed questions to Government in parliament regarding the memorandum of understanding, the implementation agreement and the power purchase agreement for the controversial Cahill project, but they have so far been unanswered.
She also disclosed that while Government was yet to respond to her queries, “I want to alert you to a Cahill number two that is in the making”.
“Any day now this Government will have another government entity sign yet another power purchase agreement with yet another Canadian outfit, called Deltro Electronic Inc, to provide power to a new utility company for 20 years in the first instance, and 80 years after that, a maximum of 20mw by way of photovoltaic energy,” Mottley charged.
The Opposition leader added that while she welcomes renewable energy projects for Barbados, one of her concerns was that the contract is to be signed by the National Conservation Commission – a Government agency that is not legally entitled to manage such projects.
She also questioned the intended location of the plant. “The land in my constituency already designated for almost 10 years as the National Botanic Gardens; land on which there is the Codrington water well.”
Mottley also told party members at last night’s meeting she had evidence to suggest that the South Coast and Bridgetown sewerage systems could collapse soon.
She quoted a report from her political opponent in the St Michael North East constituency, Patricia Inniss, a biochemist and researcher, who warned the Barbados Water Authority of an imminent breakdown of the sewerage systems.
Mottley said that on September 10, Inniss, who is also a Government consultant, addressed a memorandum titled, ‘Funds are needed for our collapsing sewerage system’, to the BWA Chairman, Dr Atlee Brathwaite, and copied it to the Minister of Water Resource Management Dr David Estwick.
Mottley read extensively from the memo, which she said was compiled after a six-month analysis by Inniss.
“‘If funds are not urgently sequestered to correct the multiplicity of problems plaguing both our sewerage treatment plants and their surrounding networks, we face the real possibility of their soon collapse.
“You are aware that the South Coast Sewerage Treatment plant has been virtually non-functioning for over a year, as over 90 per cent of the sewage entering the plant is now being diverted from the influent pumps to the effluent pumps’.”
Mottley also quoted Inniss referring to customer complaints given to sewerage plant workers: “The last documented complaint I am aware of sent to the BWA on May 11th, 2015, from the Ministry of Health stated that sewage is contaminating the Graeme Hall Swamp.”
Mottley said, “I am therefore asking the Prime Minister, in the interest of all of us Barbadians, to instruct his Minister of Finance on Monday morning to make the funds available to the Barbados Water Authority.”
The BLP’s conference ends today.