October 25, 2016 - Flow Study help Students preparing for the Grade Si ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Police officer dies suddenly The Royal Barbados Police Force is ... +++ October 25, 2016 - St Peter woman arrested and charged A 26-year-old St Peter woman has be ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Vehicle overturns at Warrens Police say no injuries were reporte ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Digital direction Send and receive money digitally, e ... +++ October 25, 2016 - GG winding down school visits In a matter of weeks, once all goes ... +++

Love for Law

If all goes according to plan, this country’s newest attorneys will be practising in several different areas of law, if a sampling of interests expressed by some of the 50 called to the Bar yesterday is anything to go by.

It should be no surprise that Shadia Simpson is about to embark on a law career since it amounts to the fulfilment of a childhood dream. “Growing up, I always knew I wanted to be an attorney,” she said.

The daughter of Marlene Simpson, Shadia said her motivation was the desire “to represent people and to be a part of the justice system”.

Shadia Simpson

Shadia Simpson

Andre Sealy, on the other hand, never thought he would end up becoming a lawyer.

“It was never really Law for me; I wanted to be a pilot but then Physics and I didn’t have a good relationship so I chose the next best thing,” said the former Mount Tabor Primary and The St. Michael School student.

Now he is looking forward to his new profession. “I am enjoying it so far; it’s hard work but I’m enjoying it,” Sealy remarked.

Andre, the son of Linda Sealy, would like to go into the area of International Business and Corporate Law.

Life turned out much the same for Andre’s friend and study partner Lemar Quimby.

Pals Andre Sealy (left) and Lemar Quimby (right).

Pals Andre Sealy (left) and Lemar Quimby (right).

The 24-year-old, a product of Wesley Hall Junior School, Louis Lynch Secondary School and later Ellerslie Secondary, originally wanted to be an accountant.

Lemar explained that it was a lecturer at Barbados Community College called Mr Burke “who pushed me to do my best in Law and I ended up falling in love with Law”.

Opting to specialize in Corporate Law, Lemar is expected to join a firm as early as next week. His parents are Leo Quimby and Judith Charles.

It is never easy choosing between two loves. Therefore, Kamisha Benjamin thought that she would study both Languages and Law at CAPE.

After doing so, the former Charles F Broome and Queens’ College student “just grew a love and a passion for Law.”

Along with that passion for the subject, Kamisha felt that since she is “generally a helpful person”, Law was an outlet through which she could continue doing so.

“I knew that by doing Law, I would be able to touch lives,” the 23-year-old, who plans to go into Criminal Law, surmised.

Edward and Pauline Benjamin are her parents.

Janaye Burgess’ hope is to become a child advocate.

From left, Mother Audrey, Janaye and her sister, attorney-at-law Jamilia Burgess.

From left, Mother Audrey, Janaye and
her sister, attorney-at-law Jamilia Burgess.

The new attorney explained that she wants to specialize in that area of law because “I recognized that children need a voice and I wanted be that voice.”

Currently the director of two youth chorales, the 23-year-old former Queens College student said she recognized that “most people don’t understand children and I wanted to get a chance to understand their point of view” and then “speak for them as best as I can.”

Burgess did a Specialist Clinic in Child Advocacy and hopes at some stage to be attached to the Child Care Board or any such agency.  Until then, she will be gaining experience in general practice.

Janaye is the daughter of Audrey Burgess.

15 Responses to Love for Law

1. Dianne Barker
    Dianne Barker October 17, 2015 at 12:15 pm

I do not know these young upcoming lawyers, but I am so proud of their achievements. Congratulations to these fine young men and women and their families. It so good to open the paper and read something so positive. May God continue to bless them as they embark on their future. KUDOS!!!!

2. Suanna Decarla Marshall
    Suanna Decarla Marshall October 17, 2015 at 12:49 pm

Congratulations to all.

3. jrsmith October 17, 2015 at 1:38 pm

My take, wishing you all the best, but its okay to talk any rubbish, but the ,serious points of your new careers, is ,honesty, being trustworthy, trying not to be corrupt, don’t emulate some of the pass crooked attorneys. Make sure you always be the one good things is said about.
    At the present time ,if I need an attorney and I could hire from out the region and Barbados I would feel safe doing so.just look at the track record. but good luck to you all .

4. Sanky October 17, 2015 at 3:38 pm

Note everyone……approx. 36 female graduate lawyers and 14 males.

5. carson c cadogan October 17, 2015 at 10:41 pm

Yippee, just what Barbados needs.

More Lawyers.

6. jrsmith October 18, 2015 at 4:29 am

@,Carson,C,C, hail, hail, good shot ,but don’t snicker at this lot, the levels of crime in bimshire and the failure to see any changes ,we will need them. and the money from Cameron , to build another prison.

7. seagul October 18, 2015 at 6:39 am

People are getting dummer nowadays; they are letting lawyers, instead of their conscience, be their guide.
    Nobody wants to read about the honest brooker down the street who does real estate. If you want to sell books, you have to write about the interesting lawyers – the guys who steal all the money and take off. That’s the fun stuff.

8. BOBO THE SAME CLOWN October 18, 2015 at 12:41 pm

Congratulations to all . But my only beef is this.

Where there are too many Policemen there is no liberty.
    Where are too many Soldiers they’ll never be peace.
    Where there are too many Lawyers there will be justice.

9. BOBO THE SAME CLOWN October 18, 2015 at 12:44 pm

Why does everyone hate Lawyers?yet, if you talk to one hundred parents 90 would like their children to become a Lawyer.

10. carson c cadogan October 18, 2015 at 6:38 pm

I hope that I don’t see any of them in front of the Courts for stealing clients money.

11. jrsmith October 19, 2015 at 9:20 am

As a dear lady said last week ,we can all talk what we like , don’t do the crime and you wouldn’t have to do the time. look back at the past records.

12. Charles Worrell October 19, 2015 at 10:26 am

You, young people, are to be congratulated for your application to your studies and now to your approach to the labor force. It is my hope that as you get to work, you will be guided by principles of good will; honesty and service delivery with a respect for the affordability of services rendered. I hope also, that this area of work or better said, service, will not be viewed as your opportunity to become rich but rather to offer efficient service with as little delay as possible and at a price that does not preclude our people from being properly represented. Please allow wealth to FOLLOW from your service and get the dollar signs out of your eyes. You have been educated by your country, you owe its people something. Be trustworthy and give EVERY ONE, your BEST EVERY TIME. please do not compare yourself with others but always ensure that you are transparent in your dealings. Lets have a wonderful time. Congratulations to you all.