October 27, 2016 - United win Manchester derby Juan Mata struck to win a tight Man ... +++ October 27, 2016 - IAAF wants Bolt’s services KINGSTON, Jamaica – IAAF Pres ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Proper shutdown protocol needed, says Bynoe The Department of Emergency Managem ... +++ October 27, 2016 - ‘Out of touch’ Economist Ryan Straughn says the la ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Lowe looking to protect the south coast A senior policymaker has warned tha ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Road Hockey 5s hit halfway mark After three weeks of competition th ... +++

Mum of missing teen makes appeal to public

A desperate St James mother is calling on people from all walks of society to assist her in finding her 18-year-old daughter, Emela John, who has been missing for more than a week.

Emela John has been reported missing since October 7.

Emela John has been reported missing since October 7.

The signs of lack of sleep were evident as a tired Tracey Lawrence told Barbados TODAY from her Clarke’s Gap, Derricks, St. James home, that she wanted to “see my child alive and alright”.

“I can’t sleep. I can’t eat. You ain’t see how white my mouth is. I in a mess,” the mother said as she continued to worry about her asthmatic daughter who should be celebrating her 19th birthday in two weeks.

The former St. James Secondary School student was reportedly last seen last Wednesday evening, leaving the home of a family friend with whom she was living at Chapel Gap, Paynes Bay, just a short distance from her mother’s home.

Lawrence explained that she was informed that her daughter was missing when she called the family’s house last Saturday.

The mother of five says she plans to search the St. Lawrence Gap area which John is known to frequent.

“I would like her to come home if anybody got her. If she with anybody and hearing me, let her come along home,” Lawrence pleaded.

“I am not getting any negative feeling. I still feel she is alright and somewhere and ain’t want nobody know where she is. Or she probably gone with somebody and ain’t want nobody know. I just don’t know.”

But sitting at her dining table, having just returned from Holetown Police Station where she gave an official report about the missing teen, Lawrence questioned why the second of her children would leave home without all her identification documents.

“She don’t leave home without her purse with her ID card. I don’t know how come she left it home; it is not making sense to me,” a puzzled Lawrence said. “What got me is that she is just like one belt away from the black belt in Taekwondo. She is good and could manage herself.”

But as her tone changed, becoming more serious, Lawrence said she would be extremely upset if her daughter knew people were looking for her but was refusing to let everyone know that she was okay.

“You have your family looking for you, you got other Barbadians looking for you and you got people concerned. You don’t do these things, this is a serious thing,” the mother said.

She admitted that John had moved out from her home because she refused to abide by her rules, and could be stubborn at times.

Nevertheless, she said the teenager was a pleasant young lady who would not hesitate to help others.

Meanwhile, police public relations officer Acting Assistant Superintendent David Welch said investigations were continuing into the teen’s disappearance and the public’s assistance was needed.

9 Responses to Mum of missing teen makes appeal to public

1. Paula Davis
    Paula Davis October 16, 2015 at 7:54 am

Praying and sharing

2. kim October 16, 2015 at 8:04 am

Has anyone searched near dover for this girl like across the pasture of the road leading from dover or near top rock as I have also seen her in these areas selling jewelry before and also my daughter has seen her frequently in he oistins area also. I also heard that she is known to be friendly with tourist in these areas as she sells jewelry.

3. Naima Hafeji
    Naima Hafeji October 16, 2015 at 8:05 am

So y we not having a nation wide search? Did one earlier this year

• Maria Leclair
      Maria Leclair October 16, 2015 at 5:50 pm

Amber Alert abused the Amber Emergency system by misuse. They searched for every person who left home on their own accord to do what ever. They did this on a weekly basis until people became desensitized and no longer were interested in hearing false reports on missing persons. Now their is a legit case with the 75 year old lady missing and possible this young lady, Amber Alert seems to be out of operation. Go figure!…lol

4. Katherine Selman Roach
    Katherine Selman Roach October 16, 2015 at 8:12 am

I will share this I hope she found soon

5. Sharon Woolley
    Sharon Woolley October 16, 2015 at 8:37 am

People should be out searching, BUT she’s 18 and free to do what she chooses . I hope she is found safe and well very soon.

6. Candice Elenor
    Candice Elenor October 16, 2015 at 9:14 am

This is awful..from reading …it seems like this girl has jad family problems snd is not as innocent as mom wants the public to feel but mom you should not hold back…you have to come clean.i can tell by the pic this is a very good looking young girl and is no way going to listen …so sad it might be too late.But my prayers are strongly with you and your family.I do hope you find your daughter…but some times we as parents wait too late to acknowledge the signs.If this girl has been acting out and not listening ..this indeed now is a serious problem. .thar it is not too late to give children the help they need before they grow older and it comes to this. Mom you have to be honest not only to yourself but with police also in order to find your daughter…i am a mother too and i can tell you these young girls r very wild…sleep about with men and stuff..i hope if you ever find this girl you try to get her in touch with god first..then some really good conselling. .i know she is 18 pratically a woman ..but you are mother ..stop playing d fool with this girl if you do find her and let her know that if she causes you any more worries like ate going to have her cut her off..i only hope that mothers act like mothers and stop trying to be your children friend …if she is putting you through all of this when you do find her …sit her down stubborn or not and let her know this shit is not going to work …but if she is kidnap …which might be a strong possibility as well…then this is a different story. ..right now nobody aint even know what happen. .its not in your gands no more…its up to god and the police.

7. Candice Elenor
    Candice Elenor October 16, 2015 at 9:17 am

I am at work n in abit of a hurry i did make some mistakes ..i cant correct right now but i think you get my point

8. Ashley Phillips October 17, 2015 at 7:49 am

I am her very close cousin an emela isnt a wild sort of girl an what her mom is sayin is tru yes she an emela had there scwables but she is very pleasant an mannerly an extremely friendly