October 27, 2016 - United win Manchester derby Juan Mata struck to win a tight Man ... +++ October 27, 2016 - IAAF wants Bolt’s services KINGSTON, Jamaica – IAAF Pres ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Proper shutdown protocol needed, says Bynoe The Department of Emergency Managem ... +++ October 27, 2016 - ‘Out of touch’ Economist Ryan Straughn says the la ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Lowe looking to protect the south coast A senior policymaker has warned tha ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Road Hockey 5s hit halfway mark After three weeks of competition th ... +++

Flow hires hundreds to fix faults

With the Fair Trading Commission (FTC) expressing concern over the number of complaints from Flow customers, the telecommunications company which recently merged with LIME has hired an additional 200 workers in order to fix the problems.

Chief executive officer and managing director Niall Sheehy told a news briefing at Flow’s Warrens, St Michael headquarters this afternoon that these employees have been given the task of transitioning all customers to Flow’s technologically advanced platform.

Sheehy said 30,000 former LIME customers who were making voice calls through an outdated IP system were migrated onto the new network in July alone, and he is urging the others to make the switch now in the interest of more efficient problem-solving.

Flow Chief executive officer and managing director Niall Sheehy.

Flow Chief executive officer and managing director Niall Sheehy.

“By the end of November . . . 100 per cent of Barbados would have fibre available. However, it takes time to migrate all those homes across, because each of those migrations requires physical [interventions]. Someone has to go out to the customer, go into their house, change up what they have, run a cable; it is very expensive, but that’s our commitment to doing it,” the telecoms company chief emphasized.

While admitting that he was not satisfied with the level of customer service or the time it was taking to resolve issues, Sheehy assured that most of the nagging problems would be eliminated within the next 18 months.

“If I could wave a wand and get them all done . . . I would. But until such time as everybody [is] moved across to that . . . people would continue to have issues. The other challenge for us is, ‘do we invest in old technology that is going to be down in three months [or] try and fix an issue that can be done by migrating?’”

Sheehy said the company was therefore prioritizing ex-LIME customers with “legacy issues” – problems they have been experiencing for months to years – to get them onto the new Flow network as soon as possible.

“The challenge for us is [that] everybody wants to be fixed now and get onto the network now, so we are trying to manage that process,” he said.

The company CEO also revealed that a special team has been established, headed by senior director of customer experience Justin Inniss, to address all customer service issues in the shortest possible time.

Sheehy also revealed that 30,000 customers who have been affected during the transition have been reimbursed.

“We have agreed to reimburse them $43, which is credit for one month’s rental for each one of those people. Some of those people were not affected at all; some were affected for a day or two; some were affected a maximum, I believe, six weeks. We felt that was a fair and reasonable position and that notification would have gone out to people about that,” the Flow boss pointed out.

When asked for its position on the complaints against Flow, the FTC told Barbados TODAY it has been in constant contact with the company with regard to the “several” problems experienced by customers.

13 Responses to Flow hires hundreds to fix faults

1. Lise Hansen
    Lise Hansen October 16, 2015 at 3:14 am

I hope that means that SOON I can send texts to my Bajan friends again ….. meaning … I can send, but they don’t receive …… ( Axtually FLOW has promised me that they are working hard on getting it fixed …. because I never used to have problems … )

2. Kemar A. J. Stevenson
    Kemar A. J. Stevenson October 16, 2015 at 4:11 am

I surprised they just didn’t “escalate the matter to their technical team”

• Gina-Ann Trotman
      Gina-Ann Trotman October 16, 2015 at 6:06 am

That is the famous line…then give you a reference number and tell yuh about waiting 5 business days….

3. Sugarskin Jan
    Sugarskin Jan October 16, 2015 at 5:33 am

They rush the brush of course they will have issue’s customer care suckssssssss service suckssssssss sorry but flow aint ready

4. Cyrilene Bullen
    Cyrilene Bullen October 16, 2015 at 6:10 am

Please bring back the original flow this merge was not for the best. Whoever want lime bring umm back for them too

5. C Brian Barnes October 16, 2015 at 6:33 am

Same shit. Different texture and smell perhaps but same shit. Bajans are just too damn complacent and have grown accustomed to the stories emanating from C & W’s publicity department. Their rebranding to LIME was a total disaster – even the hideous lime green and black decor at Windsor Lodge. Now it’s FLOW. If all the money that was spent on advertising and bs publicity was spent on having adequately staff, in numbers and training, service might improve BUT NO, FLOW THINKS THE WAY TO GO IS TO OUTSOURSE EVERYTHING from the Front Office Reception, ALL service to ERIKSON, believing they can sit back free and clear of blame!

6. Mervin Kellman
    Mervin Kellman October 16, 2015 at 7:14 am

Flow is a bigger telecommunications waste of time than Lime and it takes real effort to achieve that “status”. Surely the time has come for us to look elsewhere.

7. IsuzuCrewCab October 16, 2015 at 7:26 am

This is what happens when in an attempt to reduce costs, you send home the technical and engineering staff who knew the network backwards and then blame “legacy” equipment. Mind you, this same legacy equipment has been working for years without any fuss.

8. IsuzuCrewCab October 16, 2015 at 7:28 am

Also forgot to mention. What are the causes of the problems then on the mobile (drop-outs, black holes and increased post dial delay) and broadband (slow downloads, high latency) networks ?

Is that due to legacy equipment as well???

9. Cynthia Blackman
    Cynthia Blackman October 16, 2015 at 7:32 am

Yes sure bet I see VANS on the roadside .. Are these workers the ones who pulled the WIRES when LIME And FLOW were different COMPANIES ? Maybe they have to get back the ones who pulled so they’ll know what to reconnect .. as it is a TERRIBLE MESS ..ALL you need is ONE to knows not hundreds who do not … Hopefully we’ll all be a satisfied BUNCH soon .. Still no voice messages . and disruptions as you try to receive or make call plus internet problems I use when I get the chance..

10. Donna October 16, 2015 at 8:00 am

Over the course of a year I experienced problems with a crossed line and crackling noise on the line whenever it was raining. This progressively got worse and worse over the months until the telephone could not be used at all whenever it rained. When I first reported the problem Lime sent a technician who on seeing that the house had two separate lines assumed that the crossed line problem was inside my house. I asked them how then I wasn’t hearing the voices of persons who were using the other line. Also I experienced the same problem when nobody was using that line. I told them if the line was of no use to me I would have the service disconnected. Around that same time, somebody called my house offering me a new package deal and I was afforded the opportunity of telling her where to stuff her package and why.

Finally they saw reason and sent technician after technician to the house. Each technician that came was not in possession of any information from the last technician. Each one started at square one. After four such episodes I made one final call to their frustrating and hard to understand customer disservice agents telling them that if the telephone wasn’t fixed this time I no longer wanted the service. I told that agent in no uncertain terms that the five day wait was not on since this was a recurring problem. My line was then fixed promptly and AT THE POLE and not in my house and I have had no further problems. These people play the fool because we let them.

11. Alex Alleyne October 16, 2015 at 8:38 am

“We have agreed to reimburse them $43.oo” . Are you serious ? . All of us still had to pay every month not having service .
    For all the trouble and mental torture we went through you want we
    BAJANS accept that chump change .

12. BOBO THE SAME CLOWN October 16, 2015 at 11:21 am

Mr.Sheehy sure knows how to sweet talk . The bill will come later hear. BoBo know what he is saying. In A time please let BoBo know “weh wunna feeling de pain” ’cause de man already made it clear that it is quite expensive and they are committed to do it.
    Sounds good now eh? wah does sweeten de monkey mout does bun is rass hole hear.