October 27, 2016 - United win Manchester derby Juan Mata struck to win a tight Man ... +++ October 27, 2016 - IAAF wants Bolt’s services KINGSTON, Jamaica – IAAF Pres ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Proper shutdown protocol needed, says Bynoe The Department of Emergency Managem ... +++ October 27, 2016 - ‘Out of touch’ Economist Ryan Straughn says the la ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Lowe looking to protect the south coast A senior policymaker has warned tha ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Road Hockey 5s hit halfway mark After three weeks of competition th ... +++

Distressed mother wants answers

The female driver of a car that hit two primary school boys yesterday afternoon is being criticized for not contacting the youngsters’ family, more than 24 hours after the incident.

Dion Clinton-Carrington said she was thankful that her sons, Ramarko, 4, and Rameko, 7, were not more severely injured, but told Barbados TODAY that driver Tracy Mayers had not checked in on the children once and the younger boy, in particular, was extremely upset about it.

Four-year-old Ramarko (left) and seven-year-old Rameko who were hit by a car yesterday.

The two Gordon Greenidge Primary School students were in the cark park of Percy King Auto Parts, opposite the school in Upper Rock Dundo, St. James, when they were hit.

Still shaken by the ordeal, Clinton-Carrington said the boys were accustomed to walking home from school with their 10-year-old brother, also a student of that institution, but yesterday he went to a match with the school’s cricket team.

Clinton-Carrington said the younger of the boys reported to her being struck and dragged by the car, while the older son said the car grazed his toes.

The boys were rushed to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital (QEH) by ambulance, but their injuries were not life-threatening and they were discharged from hospital last night.

The younger Ramarko received bruises and swelling on his hand and face and his left eye is bloodshot and inflamed. Rameko’s foot was grazed.

Clinton-Carrington said she could not understand why her calls to Mayers have not been answered.

The mother said she believes the St. Thomas resident owed her an explanation and her children an apology.

DSC_5127 (1)

Dion Clinton-Carrington

“At no time she has called. I have not seen what this woman look like as yet. The police gave me three numbers when I went to the station last night to contact her and I calling all up to late hours and no one answered,” she said.

“Not a word. Not a word and it hurts. She didn’t even try to call nor come to see, nothing, and that is the part that hurting me. It hurting me real bad. I feel so weak that I can’t eat . . . I was wondering how she could sleep because I couldn’t sleep. I lay on the floor all night just praying and feeling weak on the inside, but thanking God that my sons are still alive.”

The woman said what bothered her most was hearing Ramarko say that he never got an apology.

“When he got to the hospital he began crying and I hold over his bed and he said ‘mummy, a lady come and knock me over and she didn’t say sorry and I didn’t see she; she didn’t come to me’. He is hurt, I [was] taking he back to the hospital this morning, and in the taxi all he [was] saying is that he didn’t see she.”

The boys’ father, Rommel Carrington, told Barbados TODAY that he too was disturbed and hurt over the matter.

“Of all of my life that is the most frightening experience. To know that your son is only four years old and somebody call you and tell you to ‘stop whatever you doing, come now; you son get lick down’,” he said, recalling that, just like Clinton-Carrington, he was at work when he got the news about the accident.

Barbados TODAY understands that parents who witnessed the accident were also upset and vented their anger at the scene.

28 Responses to Distraught

1. dave October 16, 2015 at 1:19 am

Something seems to be wrong with the females in Barbados. Something serious ~~

2. Marson Brathwaite October 16, 2015 at 1:24 am

Hello Dion and Rommel, I am glad to know that your children were not seriously hurt in that accident. Do not try calling the driver of the vehicle anymore, if she calls you that’s fine. Keep in touch with the Police Officer investigating the accident. Find out from the Officer: (1) if statements were recorded from persons who witnessed the accident. (2) Did the driver have a valid Drivers Licence? (3) Was the vehicle insured, if so, get the Policy number, name, address and phone number of the Insurance Company. Also get the name and address of the owner of the vehicle involved. If charges are laid or not against that driver, you should still contact a Lawyer.

3. Veronica Williams
    Veronica Williams October 16, 2015 at 1:30 am

Thank God that they are well and alive. I was wondering. It bothered me a lot when I knew that they were so young. Hugs and kisses, little sweethearts. I was praying that you all would be well.

4. Hazel Harrison
    Hazel Harrison October 16, 2015 at 1:54 am

Her name and license number please

5. seagul October 16, 2015 at 3:16 am

How about legislature towards suspending these car drivers for very long periods so they can understand on our small island excessive speed is a danger to everyone.

6. Thomas Katt
    Thomas Katt October 16, 2015 at 3:20 am

She’s a dog but most female drivers on Barbados roads are basically selfish. A male driver will more likely stop to let out another vehicle or allow a pedestrian to cross than a female driver. Even to give you a lift, them not stopping but let them have car troubles and them looking for you to pity and help them

• Leigh October 16, 2015 at 11:03 am

This woman is awful but male drivers selfish too…. sometimes people just don’t give you a chance on the roads. However, can you really blame women for not giving strangers lifts? If I am alone driving I think it is reckless to stop and give people lifts, they might attack you.

7. jrsmith October 16, 2015 at 4:38 am

What’s this stupidness, its a criminal act in most developed countries, if you are involve in an accident, leaving the scene and not reporting the said. this should be now a police matter, this driver needs to be hunted down , another low life ,with her ghetto behaviour. this is totally out of order. we are stepping backward.

• Sue Donym October 16, 2015 at 1:57 pm

Where was it reported that the driver did anything unlawful? Did the mother not get the contact info from the police? Probably not such a good idea to make unfounded allegations since the driver’s name is known

8. Deme October 16, 2015 at 5:15 am

What’s with the bashing of women in the comments. Men are inconsiderate drivers as well. I sincerely hippie you don’t and never will have daughters. That dinosaur mentality has no place in modern society!

9. Patricia Yearwood October 16, 2015 at 5:55 am

The most problems I encountered on the road are caused by female drivers. They don’t seem to be able to stop at pedestrian crossings for one reason or another especially the one at the back of QEH.

10. Trina B October 16, 2015 at 6:06 am

Not all female drivers are bad. Please don’t rate all the same way. Anyways hearing about this made me feel really bad as a mother and I wish this lady would at least call to speak to the mother of those boys. Something as small as an apology goes a long way. I am thankful to know they are not seriously hurt.

11. Realist October 16, 2015 at 6:41 am

Hmmmm! Something just ain’t adding up!. A child hit by a vehicle and the other drag and there are no injuries! How can people comment and don’t know the story.

12. Sharon October 16, 2015 at 6:57 am

My concern is this, is she aware that she struck this child? If so, and someone witness the accident, she should be appearing before the court this morning. Just saying

13. blondy October 16, 2015 at 7:12 am

who is u and i to pass judgement on the young lady that hit them not saying she is right for not calling but maybe she is in shock or she herself is not taking it well lets hear he side before we past judgement

14. IsuzuCrewCab October 16, 2015 at 8:49 am

While it may seem that the driver is insensitive, in a lot of these cases the insurance company advises the driver NOT to make contact. I think that it for fear that during their apology and show of interest that they may admit liability.

Know of a case where the driver was in no way at fault but was told emphatically not to call or visit the injured person – could lead to him losing his insurance.

15. Cherylann Johnson October 16, 2015 at 8:51 am

I understand how you are feeling mum but (and I know this is hard) consider the driver’s emotional state right now.

She is probably just as traumatized as you and your two boys and just as petrified. Give her a chance.

We are all so quick to judge. People handle situations differently. A week hasn’t gone by as yet and calling her out like this will probably delay her contacting you and b bring animosity. I feel and understand your pain.

I know a lotta people won’t agree with me but that is the reality of life.

My prayers are with both families.

16. Marie October 16, 2015 at 9:36 am

A lot of young people want a license to drive but do not understand the seriousness involved. When you get behind that wheel it is not only your life but the life of the passenger in the vehicle with you, the bicycle,motor cyclist, the pedestrian, the other motorist this is serious responsibility. Your eyes, ears all mental faculties have to be alert when you get behind that wheel.
    While I do know that everyone deals with situations differently I do believe that the driver needs to come forward and offer an apology to the children and their parents and this will help in the healing process. The driver is hurting too and may be ashamed to come forward. I am just hoping that she was not talking or texting on a cell phone. The longer she takes to come forward will just prolong the agony and may escalate a situation that could be easily quelled. Please just ask God’s guidance and direction to deal maturely with the situation.

17. BC October 16, 2015 at 9:57 am

If she were up here in North America, she would be charged! What a lack of justice….2 children traumatized and she gets to go along like nothing ever happened. She betta believe retribution is real and retribution ain’t easy. God does not sleep.

18. sheryann masiah October 16, 2015 at 10:13 am

SO @dave you are calling out all the females in Barbados because of the actions of one individual? How about talking about the matter at hand or voicing constructive solutions?

Ugh, these sort of comments are so annoying.

Anyways, I am very glad that these two young boys are safe and I could only imagine how their mother is feeling. I agree with @cherylann johnson, give her some time and hopefully she apologise to these two kids, if it will bring them some comfort.

19. JK October 16, 2015 at 10:26 am

As much as the lady may want to contact you and check on the children, consider that she may be advised by the insurance company and their lawyers to have no contact with you what soever.

She has to be a bad state, she hit two children. She must have a reason for maintaining silence.

20. Nikita October 16, 2015 at 11:26 am

I don’t understand why the comments are bashing all female drivers and placing male drivers up on some pedestal as if they can’t make an grave mistake such as this. My hearts and prayers goes out to this family and I pray the woman has the courage to face what she has done and talk to this family.

21. Patricia S Bowen October 16, 2015 at 11:37 am

We are a very compassionate people, but don’t gift wrap nonsense and ask us to accept it. I believe the police and insurance should have been in touch with that lady and it is a police matter. Fleeing such a scene before their arrival is a crime unless a mob was about to carry out a lynching, or the person wasn’t aware. I doubt that any lawyer would advise her to contact anyone other than the police in case it ends up in court. I am baffled that instead of reassuring the parents that they would be actively carry out investigations, they gave the parents numbers for them to do their own police work. That is asking for trouble. I know I would welcome any number or lead as a parent, but the police fell short here. The Police public relations dept are
    the most professional persons to handle this sensitive matter of informing the public and disclosing the identity of this person if
    deemed necessary. The law must be upheld for all, including the very young and the very old.

22. Patricia S Bowen October 16, 2015 at 11:44 am

To the parents. I hope justice comes to you early. I hope to God your children would not be affected now or long term. Let’s hope that you and your kids would hear those healing words of apology that has power to soothe.

23. TheCritic October 16, 2015 at 11:52 am

call me cold hearted…..but why were YOU not walking or taking your kids home from school? Or some adult? 4 and 7? The driver should be charged and so too you for negligence. I have no pity.

24. Rose lorde October 16, 2015 at 12:38 pm

Well, well, well I am just hoping that those two boys are healing. I heard that the boys were run over, sensationalism, sensationalism. I am just wondering if leaving minors unattended is an offence, well I know it is and I know that the parents are culpable. I did not hear that the driver of the offending vehicle fled the scene. The police knows who she is, let them do their work. Oh yes, two little boys suffering injury both physically and mentally, this is a matter for the police and the insurance company. the parents should be advised to get legal representation where their sons’ interest can be properly represented. There is no law that says that the driver has to get in touch with the boys’ parents. it is only out of courtesy that she could have done it. Being discourteous is not a criminal offence. Maybe she believes that to contact the parents could cause them to be enraged towards her. I am sure that she is sorry, no one would be glad for that to have happened to them. Just an error of judgement, if those two boys were not tall enough then she would not have seen them. Parents, stay away from the woman, focus on your children and do not let the fire being fuelled by third parties influence your decisions. When you start wrong you will end wrong. Please make proper arrangement for your children to be collected. I don’t even think that the law allows for the ten year old to be supervising those two little boys. Remember all three of them are minors. Hope they can gradually get over it and I am sincerely glad that nothing worse did not happen.

25. Rose lorde October 16, 2015 at 12:40 pm

26. jerry October 17, 2015 at 9:51 am

It amaze me how no one knows the facts behind the story but still can make a. Comment. It truly is amazing