News Feed

October 24, 2016 - Today’s weather A tropical wave is affecting the is ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Police probe death at Golden Ridge, St George Police are investigating the sudden ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Possible funding for NGOs The Division of Economic Affairs ha ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Barbados welcomes MV Viking Star The MV Viking Star docked for the f ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Griffith wins BLP nomination in St John   Charles Griffith will repres ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Hudson Griffith withdraws from BLP nomination for St John seat     As supporters of the ... +++


FIFA boss facing criminal investigation

The FIFA scandal took a dramatic turn today with the biggest administrator in world football coming under intense scrutiny.

Swiss prosecutors have opened a criminal investigation into Sepp Blatter, head of the world soccer body on suspicion of criminal mismanagement and misappropriation of funds, the Swiss attorney general’s office said today.

Sepp Blatter described by FIFA official as “finished”.

Sepp Blatter described by FIFA official as “finished”.

It said Blatter was interrogated after a meeting of FIFA’s executive committee in Zurich, and authorities carried out a search at the organization’s headquarters today.

“The office of the FIFA President has been searched and data seized,” the office of the attorney general (OAG) said.

It was the first time that authorities investigating corruption in the world’s most popular sport had pointed the finger directly at Blatter, the 79-year-old Swiss who has run its powerful governing body for the past 17 years.

He has denied wrongdoing and his US attorney said he was cooperating with the Swiss probe.

A source close to FIFA said that as Blatter has not been arrested, charged or indicted, it would probably be for him to decide whether he stays in his post until February, when he is due to step down.

However, the source said: “It is over for him now, it is finished.”

The news of the investigation broke shortly after FIFA had abruptly cancelled a Blatter press conference at 15 minutes’ notice, offering no explanation.

He had been due to speak for the first time since his number two, Jerome Valcke, was suspended last week following accusations regarding ticket sales at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. Valcke denied the allegations.

In a sign of concern over the implications of the deepening investigation, Russia was quick to say that it would not affect its hosting of the 2018 World Cup, one of the biggest and most lucrative events in sport.

FIFA’s awarding of the 2018 and 2022 competitions to Russia and Qatar is one of the strands under scrutiny from U.S. and Swiss authorities investigating corruption in the organization –– a worry for tournament sponsors such as McDonald’s Corp, Coca-Cola and Visa.

The scandal exploded in May, when 14 soccer officials and sports marketing executives were indicted. Seven were arrested by Swiss police in a dawn raid on a five-star Zurich hotel.

The Swiss OAG said Blatter had been questioned by its representatives, and that Michel Platini, the former French midfield soccer star who runs European soccer body UEFA, had also been asked to give information.

Platini is favorite to win the election to replace Blatter when he steps down in February. Blatter once described their relationship as “like father and son”, but it broke down irretrievably earlier this year when Platini urged him to quit.

A Swiss law enforcement source said that Platini had provided Swiss prosecutors with evidence against Blatter and was not regarded as a target of investigators at this point.

Swiss investigators have been putting together their case against Blatter for some time, a law enforcement official said.

The official said Blatter is not in custody and is free to travel, though he has largely avoided leaving Switzerland since May.

According to the Swiss criminal code, Blatter could, if convicted, face a custodial sentence of up to five years depending on the circumstances of the offence.

The OAG statement said he was suspected of a “disloyal payment” of 2 million Swiss francs ($2.05 million) to Platini at the expense of FIFA, allegedly made for work performed between January 1999 and June 2002.

The payment was executed in February 2011, the OAG said. It did not say why the payment was “disloyal” or what became of the money.

Platini said in a statement: “Regarding the payment that was made to me, I wish to state that this amount relates to work which I carried out under a contract with FIFA and I was pleased to have been able to clarify all matters relating to this with the authorities.”

The OAG said it also suspected Blatter of signing a contract in 2005 with the Caribbean Football Union (CFU), then headed by Trinidadian soccer baron Jack Warner, that was unfavorable for FIFA and had “violated his fiduciary duties”, or duties of trust.

Richard Cullen, a US lawyer for Blatter, said: “Mr. Blatter is cooperating and we are confident that when the Swiss authorities have a chance to review the documents and the evidence they will see that the contract was properly prepared and negotiated by the appropriate staff members of FIFA who were routinely responsible for such contracts, and certainly no mismanagement occurred.”

According to a FIFA document, the 2005 agreement required that FIFA be paid both up-front “rights fees” and a 50 percent share of revenue from “broadcast sponsorship and commercial airtime opportunities”.

Source: (Reuters)

4 Responses to Offside

  1. seagul September 26, 2015 at 3:36 am

    Where is this slur campaign going?
    The Swiss franc is stronger than the US dollar…the man is clean and so is our Caribbean soccer union here in swiss.

  2. Tony Webster September 26, 2015 at 6:03 am

    Red Card, Sir. Kindly leave the field. No, I do not know where you are going to call home, and it unlikely to be a comfortable, luxurious place….but you will have plenty of company, and many of your colleagues are also likely to meet you there.
    Have a ball!

  3. seagul September 26, 2015 at 6:48 am

    U.S jurisdiction should remain in U.S. This is only done to pull down the reputation of the game and replace top officials with their stooges, Jordanian generals etc…
    These officials are not U.S citizens. They tried to destroy the UBS swiss bank and they will never succeed with Blatter either.

  4. Tony Webster September 26, 2015 at 8:50 am

    @Seagull: yellow for you, Sir! The US actions against Jack et al, are quite different in law and in jurisdiction, from these being carried out soley by the Swiss authorities.

    “Time to say goodby” to this blot on FIFA, and the game itself.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *