October 27, 2016 - United win Manchester derby Juan Mata struck to win a tight Man ... +++ October 27, 2016 - IAAF wants Bolt’s services KINGSTON, Jamaica – IAAF Pres ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Proper shutdown protocol needed, says Bynoe The Department of Emergency Managem ... +++ October 27, 2016 - ‘Out of touch’ Economist Ryan Straughn says the la ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Lowe looking to protect the south coast A senior policymaker has warned tha ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Road Hockey 5s hit halfway mark After three weeks of competition th ... +++

Grave gunplay

Shootout in cemetery terrifies workers

It was like a scene from the Wild Wild West.

Sanitation Service Authority (SSA) workers were sent scampering for their lives when two brazen men engaged in a shootout this morning in the Westbury Cemetery.

And just minutes later, a woman and her two sons were left counting their lucky stars after the same two gunmen left a bullet lodged in their home, inches away from where they were standing listening to the fracas unfold.

The drama began just after 9 a.m. when, according to SSA workers, two young men ran from the western side of the cemetery firing several shots.

A guard who spoke to Barbados TODAY on condition of anonymity said he had just arrived at work when he heard the gunshots.

“I just looked up and saw these two men running through the cemetery shooting at each other. I didn’t even run. All I could do was just watch them and see where they were going,” the worker of 15 years experience explained.

He said he saw one of the men armed with two guns, while the other man only carried one gun.

The elderly man reported seeing one of the men reloading his gun as he gave chase.

However, a female worker who also declined to give her name, said the incident forced the over 30 SSA workers to seek cover.

“It was a very frightening experience. Some of the workers went and hide because they were very afraid. My husband called to ask me where I was and if I was alright, and I had to tell him I didn’t even know where I was,” the visibly shaken woman said.

She recalled hearing more than 20 shots being fired.

The panic didn’t end there though.

Just a few feet away from the cemetery in 1st Avenue, Richmond a woman who gave her name as Pinkie pointed
to a section of her damaged house caused by a misdirected bullet.

She told Barbados TODAY she was at her door listening to the shooting when all of a sudden a bullet lodged in the roof of the house, not far from where she was standing.

She said she hit the ground immediately, along with her 20 and 14-year-old sons, who were also at home.

“When the bullet hit the house it left my ears ringing. All three of us hit the floor immediately because we didn’t want to get shoot.

“This is the first time I have ever experienced anything like this and I hope it is the last,” noted the dreadlocked woman who only moved into the house last November.

“I mean, we were standing by the door and the bullet didn’t land too far away from where I was standing. That could easily have gone through the house.”

Pinkie said she was told one of the assailants boarded a ZR van in an attempt to escape his attacker.

Acting police public relations officer Acting Station Sargeant Roland Cobbler revealed that police were investigating the incident which occurred around 9:06 a.m.

He said no injuries had been reported and no suspects had been questioned in connection with the incident.

Barbados has experienced a spate of gun crimes in the past several months, and last month Acting Commissioner of Police Tyrone Griffith charged that there was an “abundance” of illegal weapons here, which he said were entering Barbados “through legitimate ports of entry” and were creating an untenable situation.

11 Responses to Grave gunplay

1. Maria Leclair
    Maria Leclair September 22, 2015 at 12:40 am

It’s like another day in the Bronx!

2. Dianne Barker
    Dianne Barker September 22, 2015 at 1:14 am

This story is hilarious. It looks like no place is sacred anymore….shootout in the cemetery. Wow!!!!!

3. Andrew the Voice September 22, 2015 at 3:35 am

Gunplay at the OK Cemetery.
    what is barbados coming to.
    whats Next??

4. jrsmith September 22, 2015 at 5:29 am

Another day of madness, Dear politicians and the police, also pointing a finger ,directly at the Attorney General, people you all are suppose to manage BARBADOS LTD,.. 3 guns 2 persons … suppose it was a gang war , involving 20 people and they came all tool up , ponder the possibility of what might have happen when stray bullets ,ended up embedded in peoples homes and bajans going about they legal business had to run and take cover.
    This made me laugh, this funny side, they were shooting , ducking and diving behind grave stone , like if they were making a cow boy film.

This is where we are at and this is the rubbish which comes from a senior police officer, a spate of gun crimes in the past several months, he should to ask to explain where he was in the past year, now bajans could see why we are not winning anything to improve our violent country.

5. jrsmith September 22, 2015 at 5:54 am

Add further, if bajans are going to take issue, the amount of guns on our streets, as per 3 guns, per 2 persons/ scumbags, would we all consider , the amount of guns per 100 criminals. this is make your mind up time. consider the madness.

6. Observer September 22, 2015 at 7:11 am

Here we again 2 thugs running around the cemetery with no gun sense even the dead ain’t safe I hope the judges in barbados take due notice and when these lawless wannabes thugs come in front of them I hope that they will be punished with the upmost hard sentences possible send a message help the innocent citizens of barbados be safe again

7. Alex Alleyne September 22, 2015 at 7:43 am

Its like the roaring twenties. Police Dept, did you get any info. from those persons that rob the security firm of all those guns ? . May be these are some of the same guns being use here. We should send some of these clowns over to the middle east to be shot at and eventually killed .

8. cecil P September 22, 2015 at 9:02 pm

all I would say about these 2 dummies .they where doing the shooting in the right place. u have want have to take them to a funeral home u could bury there smart ass right there these guys are nuts end of story

9. BoBoThe Clown September 23, 2015 at 8:24 am

This is the first ever recording of a gun fight between two duppies.This gotta be in guinness book of records fa sure. I always heard that some people could” read up de dead,see de dead, talk to de dead” but dis is a new ting now ,people seeing de dead shooting at each udda , fighting for “home advantage.” I guess neither won that battle so wunna could expect more a de same .
    BOBO would have loved to see dem duppies dualing ’cause i know for sure da had to be some close calls. But from what i hear about duppies ,they can be in front now ,and a split second later da gone ,puff.
    I might be a bit sceptic ,but, i don’t believe you can shoot a Ghost.

10. BOBO The Clown September 23, 2015 at 11:56 am

Lord ha mercy on we. This gun play is now more serious than ever.I used to walk by St Margaret’s Church Grave yard in St.John all hours a de night wid liickle or na fear ,unless of course One a Mr. Mayer’s cows got loose and decided to go after de nice green grass and flowers in the grave yard.Dem would scare de daylights outta me because a duppy cow in easy.
    But dis shootout in the grave yard in de city is really some ting to fear. I realize dat Babados is now teeming wid guns. Dis one av a gun dat one av gun and da da shoot each other fa fun,but if unna taught da was some ting unna in big treble dey ’cause dis is de fus time in de istory a de world whey people woking near by observe two wid guns duppies shooting at each other . Wa is babados comin to?I dont know how deese duppies get dem guns through de Port ,but I remember da had a bad man called “Six a clock”dat use to ha guns when only de manager at the plantation had.Iwas not afraid a he, He was always cordial to me even doh I didn’t go to he funeral I did send a nice letter to let all know that I approveed of It. He didn’t hav many enemies in de district,buthe was intensely disliked by he friends.he could shoot doh.
    I wonder wa gine happen when dem dead bad boys hav a shootout wid Babylon ’cause duppies don’t miss.