October 20, 2016 - UPDATE: Yearwood gets bail Kwame Everton Dashawn Yearwood, 17, ... +++ October 20, 2016 - Wanted man surrenders Police  now have in custody 42-yea ... +++ October 20, 2016 - Teen charged in connection with ‘sex tape’ Police have arrested and formally c ... +++ October 20, 2016 - Teen’s living arrangements worry magistrate Information from a 17-year-old male ... +++ October 20, 2016 - Young cricketers show their mettle Reveria Cottle struck a well-played ... +++ October 20, 2016 - Look to organic farming – UNDP official A senior official of the United Nat ... +++

Joseph Niles passes away

Joseph Niles passed away at the age of 75 this morning

One of Barbados’ most iconic gospel singers is dead.

Joseph Niles, known as the Godfather of Gospel music in Barbados, passed away this morning at his home after a lengthy fight with dementia.

He was 75 years old.

Niles, who made an indelible mark  on the musical landscape in Barbados and the Caribbean, became famous singing with his Consolers in the 1960s and 1970s along with Sister Margrita Marshall and Ann Riley.

Some of his most popular songs include This Train, Walking Up The King’s Highway, I Know Where I Am Going, Royal Telephone, Try A Little Kindness, Live Your Religion, Just A Rose, Beautiful Robes, How Beautiful Heaven Must Be and Hard Road To Travel.

19 Responses to Joseph Niles passes away

1. Psi Lara
    Psi Lara September 19, 2015 at 10:23 am

I guess he’s walking up the King’s highway now. Rest in peace.

2. Rosemary Wall
    Rosemary Wall September 19, 2015 at 10:28 am

May he Rest in Peace…Condolences to his family and the people of Barbados – WE have truly lost an Icon. #ThanksForTheBeautifulMusicSir

3. Janlyn Skeete
    Janlyn Skeete September 19, 2015 at 10:40 am

God Bless Him. He was a true inspiration. May he rest in peace. Condolences to his family.

4. Joceline Blackett
    Joceline Blackett September 19, 2015 at 10:41 am

Condolences to his family, friends and all of his fans. Rest in eternal peace. A great Barbadian icon has gone but never to be forgotten.

5. Cynthia Blackman
    Cynthia Blackman September 19, 2015 at 11:01 am

May he rest in peace .. as his wonderful Gospel pieces remain in our memories

6. Coreen Holford
    Coreen Holford September 19, 2015 at 11:01 am

Love his music,will never be forgotten,he’s gone to a Beautiful Garden

7. Violeta Patricia Piggott
    Violeta Patricia Piggott September 19, 2015 at 11:03 am

This one sing just came to my mind seeing did R.I.p Niles

8. Angela Fergusson September 19, 2015 at 1:17 pm

Rest in peace Mr. Niles. You have left us with beautiful music, we thank you.
    Sincere condolences to the family.

9. Dianne Barker
    Dianne Barker September 19, 2015 at 2:04 pm

My deepest and heartfelt sympathy goes out to the family of the late Godfather of gospel music Mr. Joseph Niles. Yes! It Was A Hard Road to Travel Waliking Up The King’s Highway but you finally reached the land of corn and wine. Your feet became weary and your burdens light when you decided to take This Train in your Beautiful Robe of white with Just A Rose you plucked along the way. Yes! It is a rejoicing day for you to finally see How Beautiful Heaven is waiting that When We All Get To Heaven to rejoice with you. May your soul Go On To Glory and rest in peace.

• Anais Belgrave September 19, 2016 at 7:41 am

This made me smile so much. Uncle Jospeh was one of a kind. On behalf our family, thank you so much for your kind words. They have brought comfort to us even a year later.

10. Debby September 20, 2015 at 8:38 pm

He was a blessing. I extend love to his family at this time as God
    welcomes him to his home.

11. Vv September 20, 2015 at 8:40 pm

12. Bishop Charlesworth Browne September 20, 2015 at 11:07 pm

Well done, thou good and faithful servant! I recall his fatherly company back in 1985/86 when I served as a pre-collegiate Methodist Minister in Barbados. In a distant land, his songs and more-so his performances made me feel so very much at home. I recall with great admiration a performance at the Holetown Methodist Church “Walking Up The King’s Highway”. Walk on my brother – dance that dance as you walk up the King’s highway.

13. Voiceofcreation/marsley grant September 21, 2015 at 6:09 am

We played his music frequently on the voice of creation now we have received the sad news, however he has done a great job in his lifetime for the lord ,he may be gone but the legacy is left behind to continue the blessed task of leading souls to Jesus Christ ,thanks joe for a job well done. May his soul rest in peace

14. lyte42 September 21, 2015 at 10:34 am

An inspirational singer with a gifted voice, condolences to the Niles family,. Just found out about brother Niles passing, strange thing was I got up Sunday morning playing “just a rose” one of my favorites. R.I.P

15. shevelle Thompson September 23, 2015 at 5:25 pm

rest in paradise Joseph Niles condolences 2 your familIes & friends

16. Wendy September 24, 2015 at 2:00 pm

My condolences and prayers go out to you and family. I remember attending his concerts at Patrick’s church and at High School. I listened to his music on the radio coming home on the bus from school. Back on holiday I met him in Bridgetown and I bought some tapes at Christmas time. Every Sunday morning I play his music either records or on You Tube. There wouldn’t me another Joseph Niles with that voice. What a great singer. Rest in Peace.

17. Jo-Anne Bynoe September 24, 2015 at 8:26 pm

Joseph Niles was a kind,peaceful and humble person. My family enjoyed his songs and attended his concerts. Rest Jo until we meet again. Just a rose will do.

18. Jo-Anne Bynoe September 24, 2015 at 8:32 pm

Just a rose will do says it all about the type of person Joseph Niles was. Condolences to his wife Beverley and family.