October 27, 2016 - United win Manchester derby Juan Mata struck to win a tight Man ... +++ October 27, 2016 - IAAF wants Bolt’s services KINGSTON, Jamaica – IAAF Pres ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Proper shutdown protocol needed, says Bynoe The Department of Emergency Managem ... +++ October 27, 2016 - ‘Out of touch’ Economist Ryan Straughn says the la ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Lowe looking to protect the south coast A senior policymaker has warned tha ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Road Hockey 5s hit halfway mark After three weeks of competition th ... +++

Teen charged with murder

COURT TODAY BLOCKPolice have arrested and charged Chaudhri Antonio Gobin, 16, of Long Gap, St.Michael murder in connection with the death of Shakem Romario Turton, 18, of Long Gap, Spooners Hill, St. Michael.

Turton died on September 16, 2015 after he was hit on the temple with a stone during an altercation with Gobin.

The 16-year-old appeared at the District A Magistrates Court today, and was remanded to HMP Dodds until October 16, 2015.

7 Responses to Teen charged with murder

1. Jema Goodluck
    Jema Goodluck September 18, 2015 at 10:40 pm

Omg 16? What the hell,

2. Antoinette Rochester
    Antoinette Rochester September 18, 2015 at 11:21 pm

This not a murder charge neither is it a manslaughter charge. Who is charging the doctors over at FMH? Our legal system is a joke!!!

• Wayne P Hoyte
      Wayne P Hoyte September 18, 2015 at 11:26 pm

that would be negligence or medical malpractice if proven. Remember an autopsy has to be perform to determine cause of death.

• Antoinette Rochester
      Antoinette Rochester September 18, 2015 at 11:28 pm

I said it was negligence on the Nations page. However, filing a murder a charge is a bit extreme. There is NO WAY he should have been remanded to Dodds.

3. Hope Bless
    Hope Bless September 18, 2015 at 11:31 pm

D boy dead so them would have to hold him if not for him he would not be at FMH

4. Menace II Babylon September 19, 2015 at 5:19 am

I do think a level of medical neglicance was a contributing factor in the young man’s death and criminal charges should apply. When you go private you expect a level of triage care that surpasses that on public institutions and a level of care. I agree with Antoinette Rochester. A murder charge is the way of the law which will be downgraded by the CPS to manslaughter. Why remand him? For what? Is he a flight risk? Is the level of risk to the community at a level where he cannot be at home, is his vulnerability at a level that causes society to be concerned? Is the community he lives in going to extract mob justice? No. They were friends and I myself have had my head bust at least three times, in fights and playing rock war it was an accident and he they were friends despite evidence of bullying and the latter. This remand is uncalled for and on his first application for bail I hope it is successful. I understand a life has been taken and it won’t be the same but the judiciary makes me wonder if media, political or judicial pressure is the benchmark or the current law in risk and vulnerability.

5. Cardon September 21, 2015 at 12:57 pm

Again and again , death has resulted from an extreem act of violence on the streets of Barbados. This time another youth has lost his life because one of the same ilk decided that he would inflick as much pain on his “Brother” as he possibly could. The result ,death. I am sure that the accuse would say today if one would ask him why did he kill ,why did you commit that murder?He would like reply without hesitation that he did not intend to commit a murder. I am sure he would .Neverthe less the blow from that stone (not a rock ) caused enough damage that even though supposedly treated resulted in death.
    I wonder why our Institutions , Hospitals and or other medical facilities in Barbados are so hasty in releasing people that are injured or have other ailments that would, in other more advanced countries be held for further observations . I have seen and heard of many instances where indivisuals are sent home or not admitted when if kept a day or two for observalence under the watchful care of professionals might have saved their lives.
    This might have been the case in the death of this young man.Maybe, just maybe if kept a day or two longer he might be alive yet. Unfortunately ,there is now a murder charge . Who is to be blamed? I think the indivisual that threw the stone,and similarly the Institution that failed miserably in diagnosing the extent of the injury . Any head injury should be carefully looked at. I am not a physician but i know that ,and that should be a must by all and any medical doctors if worth their salt.