News Feed

October 22, 2016 - Too much pressure on A&E, warns official The Accident & Emergency Depart ... +++ October 22, 2016 - QEH wants more autonomy The state-run Queen Elizabeth Hospi ... +++ October 22, 2016 - ‘Suspicious’ Four years after fire destroyed the ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Warrens win thriller over Dover Warrens Sports Club Seniors registe ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Neymar staying at Barcelona Barcelona today confirmed that Neym ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Tudor hospitalized Former Cabinet Minister and Member ... +++

Police chief to face class action suit

Having withdrawn their contempt of court charge against Acting Commissioner of Police Tyrone Griffith, sport shooter Bernard Chase and his colleagues have promised to continue a class action suit against the top cop.

Acting Commissioner of Police Tyrone Griffith

Acting Commissioner of Police Tyrone Griffith

Through his attorney Wilfred Abrahams, Chase, a national champion shooter, filed a class action suit against the commissioner for unilaterally refusing to renew licenses in respect of firearms used in sport shooting. After the Court granted an interim injunction that ordered the top cop to renew the licenses pending final determination of the substantive case, Chase then asked the judge to cite the Commissioner for contempt because the Firearms Department continued to breach the court order.

When the case was about to be heard, it was learnt that the Commissioner had resumed licensing the guns. Abrahams told Barbados TODAY this afternoon that while his client had every right to continue the contempt hearing it made no sense as the Commissioner had since complied with the order. Chase will however, continue the substantive matter for a final judgement.  “I am sorry it got to the point where the contempt application had to be filed but no one is above an order of the Court.  This was not about proving a point. So when the Commissioner finally obeyed the order prior to the contempt hearing there was no need to waste further time on that part of it,” Abrahams said.

The attorney explained the substantive matter was whether the top cop had the right or authority in the first place, to “unilaterally” refuse to renew the licences of the weapons used for target shooting only.

Abrahams added that he was awaiting the case management order from the registry “which will spell out exactly the time frame for completing the pre trial procedures” like witness statements before the matter goes to trial.” (EJ)

5 Responses to Police chief to face class action suit

  1. Alex Alleyne September 9, 2015 at 7:35 am

    All this crap will keep coming up until the Top Cop get tough and start LOCKING UP some people .
    The ‘rich boys’ got too much power and think that they answer to no one .
    Everyone knows that all these guns and bullets on the streets ain’t dropping down out the sky.

  2. Sue Donym September 9, 2015 at 7:37 am

    More to the point, do the shooters have an entitlement to an automatic renewal? And can they force the Commissioner to process an application in a given time?

  3. sheila Mcintosh September 9, 2015 at 10:21 am

    All guns should be licensed in the time permitted,some people do not abide by rules because there monies involved,when I visited last month I saw the chief on Tv speaking about illegal guns in Barbados,what is so different about target shooting, hope that those people may not be the same working to bring illegal gun through the ports,rules/laws should be obey whether you are rich or poor,guns are dangerous weapons,all must be registered.

  4. Shurf De
    Shurf De September 9, 2015 at 10:39 am

    White power

  5. Alex Alleyne September 9, 2015 at 11:33 am

    Let us ALL keep a very close eye on this one to see if ‘the dollar is mightier than the law” .


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *