News Feed

October 23, 2016 - Barbados welcomes MV Viking Star The MV Viking Star docked for the f ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Griffith wins BLP nomination in St John   Charles Griffith will repres ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Hudson Griffith withdraws from BLP nomination for St John seat     As supporters of the ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Chelsea thrash Mourinho’s United 4-0 Source: AFP- LONDON, United Kingdom ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Relief on the way, says BWA The Barbados Water Authority (BWA) ... +++ October 23, 2016 - SSA board could face legal action, Comissiong warns Outspoken social activist and attor ... +++

$20,000 bail for Callender

COURT TODAY BLOCKJaleel Kadeem Callender was back before the law courts again today.

This time, the Block 2C Barbarees Gardens, Barbarees Hill, St Michael resident was there on charges of using an unlicensed firearm and unlawfully wounding Marvin Victor on July 22 this year, with intent to maim, disfigure or disable him or to do him serious bodily harm.

Callender, who appeared before Magistrate Kristie Cuffy-Sargeant in the District ‘A’ Magistrates’ Court No. 2,
was remanded to HMP Dodds until September 7.

The last time when Callender appeared before the court in February this year, Magistrate Douglas Frederick expressed frustration over the fact that the accused man was already facing charges, had been granted $60,000 bail by the High Court and yet had come back on three more charges.

Callender’s new charges upped the total to eight matters he now has pending before the courts.

During his last court appearance in February, Magistrate Frederick also expressed concern about Callender’s safety.

His appearance then was related to allegations that on November 23, 2014, he unlawfully and recklessly engaged in conduct which placed Marvin Victor and Akeem Waithe in danger of death or serious bodily harm, and intentionally damaged Victor’s car on the same date.

Callender was not required to plead to these indictable charges.

“I think prison is the best place for you,” Magistrate Frederick told Callender in February.

“I suspect you may be in danger – and if I keep you, you may not be.”

Asked whether he still wanted bail in light of the Magistrate’s advice, Callender replied in the affirmative.   

Allan Carter, attorney for the accused, said his client was already reporting to a police station in relation to the High Court bail.

Magistrate Frederick eventually granted Callender $20,000 bail.

4 Responses to $20,000 bail for Callender

  1. jrsmith August 11, 2015 at 4:54 am

    This is some criminal, no respect for the law or people of this our Barbados. what we need is to make these villains pay for being locked up.
    My take, a part of a set bail amount should be paid to the courts in cash, is this evil one was granted bail at $20,000, half of that should be cash, which would be return if he was found innocent.

  2. Cheryl Alleyne-Brooks
    Cheryl Alleyne-Brooks August 11, 2015 at 8:32 am

    I am completely fed up ,they are some criminals that are just completely an annoyance to society and they deserve nothing but to be put away from society.This dude is definitely one of them

  3. Alex Alleyne August 11, 2015 at 10:31 am

    This kind of garbage is why these fools keep doing foolishness knowing that they will walk “free’ .A handle will be put on it when some “high flyer” get hurt .

  4. fayhoney August 11, 2015 at 10:27 pm

    I think time has come where Gov’ment can make some money when dese criminals come before the court and want bail let the bail b half the total upfront and if that person is found guilty dat money will go into the treasury to help wid your friend, relative or who ever the person is to you expenses and you would see how many persons would be interested in signing bail. Especially for habitual criminals.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *