News Feed

October 25, 2016 - Police officer dies suddenly The Royal Barbados Police Force is ... +++ October 25, 2016 - St Peter woman arrested and charged A 26-year-old St Peter woman has be ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Vehicle overturns at Warrens Police say no injuries were reporte ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Digital direction Send and receive money digitally, e ... +++ October 25, 2016 - GG winding down school visits In a matter of weeks, once all goes ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Husbands, Walcott brilliant in Canada TORONTO, Canada – Veteran Bar ... +++

Sugar jobs coming, says DaSilva

A settlement is expected tomorrow in a dispute between residents of an Andrews, St Joseph community and the contractors hired to demolish the former Andrews Sugar Factory to make way for a new multi-purpose plant.

Innotech has fenced a portion of land being used by the community for recreation, sparking a public outcry.

Andrews Sugar Factory

Andrews Sugar Factory

Chairman Anthony DaSilva of Inter Sugar Partnership (ISP), the regional company which will manage the cane industry restructuring project, said it was necessary for safety and security reasons.

However he told Barbados TODAY that matter should be resolved by tomorrow.

DaSilva also disclosed that Government was in discussions with the owner of an adjoining property with a view to acquiring part of that property to facilitate construction of the new $540 million factory.

“There is a requirement for some additional land to the west of Andrews. My understanding is that this is pretty much advanced, but I don’t have the specifics as to what stage it is at,” the ISP head said.

The first phase of the project involves the demolition and dismantling of the former Andrews Sugar Factory, and DaSilva said it would create dozens of jobs, with priority given to former employees of the Barbados Agricultural Management Company (BAMC).

During a tour of the old factory this afternoon, the ISP boss told Barbados TODAY that up to 20 people had already been hired and more openings were possible.

“From my discussions with the project manager, they believe that they can take up to eight or 12 crews, so potentially there is employment opportunities. There will be other things that [will] come along . . .  Once the factory is down, the whole factory that is, then we still have to do the levelling, the masonry structures and bringing the site up a level [in preparation for the start of construction].

“This is not the kind of work . . . or something that we want to get people that are inexperienced in this kind of work. So our preference is to find the guys that worked for BAMC or any other factory, to make contact with us. We had indicated to the demolition contractor when we awarded the contract that they should do as much as they can to get into contact with the BAMC workers that were unemployed.”

He projected that about 800 additional workers would be required at the peak of construction on the multi-purpose factory while another 300 permanent jobs would be available.

The ongoing demolition began about a month ago and should take another five months to complete, DaSilva said.

As part of the dismantling process, spare parts and other pieces of equipment were being transferred to Portvale Sugar Factory to boost its operations.

DaSilva said construction on the multi-purpose plant, which is expected to produce special sugars as well as generate electricity from biomass for sale to the Barbados Light & Power Company (BL&P), was expected to last about 24 months.

11 Responses to Sugar jobs coming, says DaSilva

  1. Danny Clarke Colombian
    Danny Clarke Colombian August 7, 2015 at 7:55 am

    well well. hardly could find cane to grind this year n you going n build a big white elephant to further burden the tax payers of this country. what wrong with portvale ?

  2. Jus me August 7, 2015 at 10:29 am

    whawuz wrong wid Bulkely it always produce more sugar from a ton of cane than Andrews did.
    It went first.
    These idiots raping Barbados at this time, getting the Real Sweet Stuff.
    What a real disaster dis is gonna be.

  3. Tony Webster August 7, 2015 at 10:51 am

    Oh dear: where have I previously been insulted, by promises of “Jam tomorrow?” Why did my precious farher lecture me about the folly of filling up one’s right-side pocket…with coins from the left-side one? In this spectacle…it gets better: the cash-money “promised” will ultimately come from a very special pocket , carefully crafted and residing exactly in the centre of the rear of all tax-payers underpants.

    Please respect the intelligence of the average Bajan…even unto those who find scratch-grain to be delicious.

  4. Beverley St John
    Beverley St John August 7, 2015 at 11:50 am

    Why is every business venture in Bim about to come, is coming, or will soon be here?! To date, all descriptions which signify that they ain’t gonna ever or have not materialized! Are these all just a rouse to pad time till 2016 when all ministers are fully pension vested?! At which point they wont give a rats behind anymore. Newsflash! Nothing ain’t moving or happening there. Ludicrous! tricking Bajans so time after time!

  5. carson c cadogan August 7, 2015 at 3:54 pm

    “Innotech has fenced a portion of land being used by the community for recreation, sparking a public outcry.”

    This “public outcry” should have called by it right name. A”Barbados Labour Party supporters” out cry.

    They are always creating strife.

    More good work being done by the Govt. of Barbados.

  6. Alex Alleyne August 7, 2015 at 4:55 pm

    We sell all of the sugar then turn around and buy garbage from outside for we bajans to use . RUM is our thing and we inport molasses from outside . In order to keep the rum one hundred percent PURE BAJAN why not start up a MOLASSES factory and don’t focus on the SUGAR.

  7. Heather Cole
    Heather Cole August 7, 2015 at 9:29 pm

    Where is the money coming from? It could be better spent on the QEH or the Psychiatric Hospital. It is a government of Scams. Cahill, Andrews and all of the others under the ministry of Agriculture. I am still waiting to hear the Minister of Agriculture report on his ‘research’ of the Cahill Project.

  8. Heather Cole
    Heather Cole August 7, 2015 at 9:31 pm

    The people of St Joseph must stand up and do something about this.

  9. jrsmith August 8, 2015 at 4:26 am

    @,Alex,A, hail right on the button. must further add, the chicken wings debacle, again who did what , the eggs fiasco and many others, politicians treat us like we are fools, political corporate corruption, that’s where we are at.

    So many things are done in the interest of some people and nothing for the interest of most people. divide and rule, them and us.

  10. jrsmith August 8, 2015 at 4:32 am


  11. Marcia Clarke August 8, 2015 at 12:25 pm

    The experts making all of the mistakes; while we have to watch and wait.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *