October 23, 2016 - Remembering David Thompson Today marks the sixth anniversary o ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Today’s weather The Barbados Meteorological office ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Lashley urges innovation Minister of Culture, Youth and Spor ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Christmas Wonderland is back After a 12-year break, Simpson Moto ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Husbands wins St James South nomination Sandra Husbands has been elected th ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Burst main near Springer Memorial A crew from the Barbados Water Aut ... +++

Bravos not bothered

Trinidadian brothers dismiss critics’ comments

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad –– Trinidad and Tobago Red Steel’s Dwayne Bravo and Darren Bravo have dismissed their critics following their success in the Hero Caribbean Premier League Twenty20 on Sunday night.

Dwayne (left) and Darren Bravo.

Dwayne (left) and Darren Bravo.

After coming under fire after his team’s third defeat of the season against the St Lucia Zouks at the Queen’s Park Oval, Dwayne finished the tournament with the most wickets and was named the hero of the Tournament after his team defeated the Barbados Tridents to lift their first CPL title.

He said the Red Steel’s performance proved that they were the best side in this year’s competition despite many not giving them a chance after a slow start to the season which saw them rooted to the bottom of the standings before arriving to Trinidad for the back end of the season.

“It was a great tournament and a great feeling to be champions. Yes we started off slow in the tournament and a lot of people did not give us a chance but we had faith and this victory goes out to the Almighty God because He is who pulled us through,” Bravo told the media following the win.

“I have nothing to say to my critics. It’s fine. I have been here playing at the highest level for 11 years and more often than not I deliver. So to my critics, let them keep coming, I am a champion,” said Dwayne.

“To get to the final was very difficult and challenging and this proves to ourselves and our critics that we are the best team in this tournament and no one can take this away from us for the next 12 months,” he added.

He also noted that his younger brother Darren had a big role to play in turning things around for the T&T-based franchise.

“I just want to enjoy my cricket. I am happy for my younger brother who had a good tournament with the bat. He turned this tournament around for us where the bat is concerned,” the Red Steel skipper explained.

He noted that he wasn’t trying to make a statement to the West Indies selectors for dropping him for the World Cup earlier this year: “For me, any cricket I play, I always want to perform and do my best. I am available to play for West Indies, whether they want me or not is up to them.”

Meanwhile, Darren admitted that he did not have the kind of performances that he would have liked in the early stages of the tournament but kept the faith and was rewarded.

“I did not perform the way I wanted to in the early stages of the tournament but when I came back home everyone believed in me and supported me through my bad patch,” he said.

“I was not really taking on the critics, I knew in the back of my mind that I was one good shot away from being my best and after I hit Shannon Gabriel for six I knew a great performance was just around the corner for me and my team, so it is a great feeling. I am very happy and it was a tremendous effort by everyone,” he added.

12 Responses to Bravos not bothered

1. Beverley Hunte-Springer
    Beverley Hunte-Springer July 29, 2015 at 10:20 pm

Everyone’s saying the match was a sell out, & people are losing interest.

• Alwin Ellis
      Alwin Ellis July 29, 2015 at 10:24 pm

Yes Pollard sell the match.He want investigating for match fixing

• Greitcha Smith
      Greitcha Smith July 30, 2015 at 12:15 am

I switched off coz I felt I was watching a fixed match.

2. Donna July 30, 2015 at 2:15 am

There are captains who make weird decisions at times that we cannot understand. Quite often these weird moves pay off. M.S. Dhoni and Michael Clarke are such captains. It happens quite often that while the commentators are criticising the lack of logic of the tactic the wicket falls before they can finish the comment. Then they change the tune to “a brilliant move”. I believe Pollard is one of those captains who think outside the box. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. Stop maligning the man’s character unless you were the person who bought him out or were present during the transaction.

3. Rawle Spooner
    Rawle Spooner July 30, 2015 at 7:43 am

Not surprise because the big wigs wanted Red Steel to win don’t really care for CPL that much anyway it aint really as good as some of the other T20 leagues around the world plain and simple.

4. Violeta Patricia Piggott
    Violeta Patricia Piggott July 30, 2015 at 7:49 am

Man look dat was a sell from d time Bajan Tridents SORRY Pollard see dat d Red Steele stayed in wen den play d Tridents Red Steele shud have gone home den So Bravo ya cud stop celebrating so doa N all dis talk bout God O PLZ Smfh

5. Alex Alleyne July 30, 2015 at 8:53 am

When is Lil Bravo going to put in a match winning innings for WI . Most youngsters just talk a bunch of crap while they all have no back bone for Cricket at the highest level.

6. David July 30, 2015 at 10:49 am

Trinidad has three captains among the six teams in the competition.Dwayne Bravo,Denish Ramdin & Keiron Pollard.
    I never really supported players from other countries in the region representing different teams.Nationalistic considerations will always come into play.
    I am skeptical of Kieron Pollard leadership ability of the Barbados Tridents.
    Why no Barbadian captains of any of the teams?
    Dwayne Bravo averages for the West Indies in both Test and One day crickets are in the earlier thirties in both batting and bowling.Nothing special about Dwayne Dravo. An ordinary cricketer

7. harry turnover August 8, 2015 at 6:17 pm

Imagine Pollard giving a senior TRINIDAD bowler like Rampaul playing for the Tridents 4 overs that cost 59 runs in the league match and again in the final 3 overs that cost the Tridents 47 runs.

That was the CLASSIC of all CLASSICS…7 overs for 106 runs that set the Red Steal on their way.
    Another classic,dropping Carter and placing Corbin at 3 and Misbah at 4…to dry up the run rate,and not bowling a CLEARLY upset Jason Holder earlier on.

Remember also when Darren Bravo snicked HARD to the keeper in the league match off Holder and was walking off when Umpire Nero ..ANOTHER TRINIDADIAN remained unmoved,and Bravo returned to the crease .