World – Men accused of planning attack
LONDON — A British man has been accused in court of planning an attack against American military personnel in Britain.
Junead Ahmed Khan, 24, is suspected of planning to run over an American serviceman with a car, prosecutors said today.
He is also charged, along with 22-year-old uncle Shazib Ahmed Khan, of planning to travel to Syria to join the Islamic State group.
The two men appeared in Westminster Magistrates’ Court accused of planning various acts of terrorism. They were arrested last week.
Prosecutors said the men had looked into the possibility of buying combat gear before traveling to Syria to join extremists there. It’s
a violation of British law for Britons to go to Syria intending the help the militants, who control parts of Syria and Iraq.
The two will be kept in custody until their next court hearing on August 10.
Police said they have been charged with two counts of being involved in preparation with the intention to commit acts of terrorism. The first count, against both men, accuses them of preparing acts of terrorism between August 1, 2014 and May 10, 2015.
The second count, against Junead Khan only, accuses him of preparing to commit acts of terrorism from May 10, 2015 until July 14, 2015.
That is the day both men were arrested at separate residences in the Luton area.
A third man who had been arrested on suspicion of terrorism at the same time was released yesterday evening without being charged. He hasn’t been named.
British officials say some 700 Britons have traveled to Syria in support of the militant group.