News Feed

October 28, 2016 - Case dismissed The case brought by the Ministry of ... +++ October 28, 2016 - Employees pampered As Education Month draws to a close ... +++ October 28, 2016 - ‘Take big view of agriculture’ GEORGE TOWN, Cayman Islands– Sta ... +++ October 28, 2016 - NUPW reacts to Lowe’s comments on privatization The island’s largest public secto ... +++ October 28, 2016 - BUT warns of new militant approach The Barbados Union of Teachers (BUT ... +++ October 28, 2016 - Cameron expresses confidence in Windies women KINGSTON, Jamaica – West Indi ... +++

NUPW willing to talk to BIDC

The National Union of Public Workers (NUPW) President Akanni McDowall said he was willing to meet with the Barbados Investment and Development Corporation (BIDC) as soon as possible to discuss the terms and conditions relating to the future of the ten BIDC employees who were issued letters of dismissal.

The NUPW staged industrial action after several failed attempts to resolve the row.

Following a meeting of the sub-committee of the Social Partnership on Tuesday, the NUPW and its sister trade union, the Barbados Workers Union, announced that the dispute had been settled and that the BIDC had agreed to withdraw the letters.

However the unions’ assertion has been disputed by Minister of Labour Dr Esther Byer and the BIDC Chairman Benson Straker, who said the statement did not fully reflect the BIDC’s offer.

But McDowall told Barbados TODAY they would meet with the BIDC “once they write to the persons who were terminated and say the letters no longer stand and that the letters will be retracted”.

NUPW President Akanni McDowall

NUPW President Akanni McDowall

“I don’t see why we should try to prolong the situation any longer. The NUPW’s position was clear that we could not sit and negotiate unless the letters were rescinded, and that was the impression that we got. But I’m not sure if there was some miscommunication as it relates to the language being used.

“We sent off a letter to them, they now need to respond to us, and as soon as they respond we’re willing to have the meeting. From the beginning we were trying to make sure that we resolve this issue as quickly as possible; so once they’re available we will make ourselves available and we will try to make sure that we get the best possible conditions for those workers who were terminated by the BIDC board,” he said.

McDowall stated further that as far as he was concerned the dispute has been settled, and he hoped other statutory boards would not terminate employees before consulting their labour representatives.

“I’m willing to go to do whatever I can to make sure those workers are as satisfied as possible and to make sure there is no precedent set in this situation where statutory boards across the service would start to take similar action.

“So I think that statutory boards across Barbados would know right now that no one should really be severed or terminated without consulting the union. If they do that, then we would have to take necessary action to make sure that the process is followed,” he said.

Source: (MW)

3 Responses to NUPW willing to talk to BIDC

  1. Mervin Errol
    Mervin Errol July 17, 2015 at 12:15 am

    There is hope Mr President. The tenor of this release shows an individual who is contrite and willing to bring closure to the impasse that unfortunately stretched for too long. I wish you well. This is my last contribution on this topic as like you I want a speedy resolution. See it as a learning experience.

  2. harry turnover July 17, 2015 at 7:32 am

    The Minister said that there was a settlement and that it was necessary in order to avoid a shut down.
    Now she is coming on a technicality saying that the letters were not WITHDRAWN ,they were NOT ACTED UPON, which of course is different.
    She also went on to say that the workers are not allowed to return to work.
    The Unions are saying that the letters were withdrawn and that the workers will return to work,the PM said that the letters should be withdrawn and the matter settled in Court….WHICH SHOULD BE THE CORRECT THING TO DO.
    Now both sides don’t want to go to Court….WHY ????????
    As far as I see it THERE IS STILL NO SETTLEMENT,so wha going on hey ??

    So wha going on hey ? as far as I see it there IS STILL NO SETTLEMENT to this NONSENSE and b

  3. Patrick Blackman July 17, 2015 at 10:50 am

    @harry turnover – Hail my friend (smile) very much on the ball here, didn’t expect this coming from you, but well said none the less, well said.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *