October 21, 2016 - Teenager bamboozles England Teenage off-spinner Mehedi Hasan to ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Local weed cultivation on the rise Marijuana cultivation is on the ris ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Pollard vents on his failed UAE tour PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad – Kie ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Teen faces indecency charge A St George teen who was charged in ... +++ October 21, 2016 - GAIA wage dispute resolution in sight A prolonged and sometimes bitter wa ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Combermere thrash Graydon Sealy Former champions Graydon Sealy had ... +++

UPDATE-16-year-old dies in car crash

The 16-year-old, who lost his life in an early morning car crash at Prospect, St James, was a former student of the Coleridge and Parry School and a self proclaimed “momma’s boy”.

Karim Busby, who just graduated last Saturday from the Ashton Hall, St Peter school, posted what would be his last Facebook message at 5:32 a.m on Friday, professing: “As old as I get, I [will] always be a momma’s boy”.

Less than 24 hours later, he would die in a tragic road accident.

Police say the car he was driving struck a guard wall at Prospect around 12:04 this morning. As a result, Busby died on the scene while his 19-year-old female passenger was taken to the QEH by ambulance, complaining of pains to her upper body and feet.

Today, numerous condolence messages and photographs were posted on Karim’s Facebook page by his former classmates, as well as close family and friends, who woke up to the shocking news of his death.

Karim and his mother Marva in happier times.

Karim and his mother Marva in happier times.

“Last night my sister and her husband and their son unexpectedly lost this gift from GOD. Karim Busby unexpectedly lost his life while accompanying a co -worker home. My heart bleeds with sorrow and the slightest thought of him brings tears to my eyes. I will MISS you my nephew. May GOD protect your soul on its journey to him,” posted one of his uncles.

“I’m sad and in mourning because you are no longer with us. R.I.P. Karim Busby as the Ashton community mourns on this sad day one of our own. May the angels watch over you [as]heaven welcomes you. Marva Busby [Karim’s mom], my dear friend, I pray that God places his hands upon you and Rudy [Karim’s dad], giving you both the strength needed in this hard and trying time. My prayers and thoughts are with you and the entire family,” said Catrina Dottin in another moving post.

Karim Busby on his graduation day last Saturday.

Karim Busby on his graduation day last Saturday.s

A week go, Busby was excited about his graduation and he not only posted a picture of himself in his three-piece, pink and white, graduation suit, but also this message: “They told me I won’t make it to the top . . . . But guess what, I proved them wrong !! Graduation 2k15”.

Today, former classmate Kyara James simply could not come to terms with news of his passing.

“I can’t believe you gone . . . ain’t even graduate a week [and] you gone . . . tell me [it] is lies man, false news or something.

She described Busby as a smart boy, who was ” brilliant” at Mathematics but hated French and enjoyed playing pranks to make his classmates laugh.

“Rest in peace my friend. . . Father Lord, please guide him in heaven,” James added.

Close friend Shericka Edmund could not find all the words to fully explain her emotions, but she said there was no denying that she would miss Karim. His death has left her with a void.

“No words can explain the way I’m missing you . . . this emptiness, this hole . . .  these tears, they tell their own story. [You] told me not to cry when you were gone, but the feeling’s overwhelming, it’s much too strong . . . RIP FATTY,” she said in her post.

3 karim

Shaaquille Moore acknowledged that he and Karim did not always see eye to eye. However, in spite of their past differences, he said, “I’m glad that I made up for it and we were back to being ‘brothas’.

“Would always hold you in my heart, especially those days in the choir. Bass line. Mr. Legall had to get we to shut up boy . . . . We coulda talk.

“Could still remember that distinct laugh you had boy . . .  Gone to soon,” he added.

Karim Busby, left, with Raheem Rowe.

Karim Busby, left, with Raheem Rowe.

Raheem Rowe also posted the only picture he ever took with Karim, saying “. . . you had no beef with no one or anything. It’s when I woke up this morning and saw,  R.I.P Busby . . .  tears come from my eyes bro, you will be missed.”

Singer Jamal Slocombe, who also attended Coleridge and Parry, said news of the death of the recent graduate was both “shocking” and “heart aching”.

“It’s even more saddening for me, as I knew this lad from primary school. He was in my six as a cub scout and we did a lot together,” Slocombe said, describing Karim as “a very enthusiastic young lad, enjoyed to make sport but was very pleasant.

“May God our creator, grant you eternal rest.”

14 Responses to UPDATE-16-year-old dies in car crash

1. Pat Burrowes Speede Puckerin
    Pat Burrowes Speede Puckerin July 11, 2015 at 12:34 pm

This seems to b the season for children dying, boys at that….R.I.P

2. Suzette Clarke
    Suzette Clarke July 11, 2015 at 12:58 pm

Another child has lost his life. It’s so depressing to read the news these days. So much loss . We really need to continue praying that God would watch over the children and young people of Barbados and the wider world. Parents , teach your children to have a relationship with God for as you can see it is not too young for them to die. I pray that he will rest in peace and that his grieving family and friends may be comforted.

• Nadine Bennett Titus
      Nadine Bennett Titus July 11, 2015 at 1:17 pm

Suzette its the same thing in Jamaica the children are dropping left right and center, paedophile raping and impregnating the little girls, boys getting rape what is going to become of the next generation??? Tears this is so sad!!! Condolences to his family.

• Suzette Clarke
      Suzette Clarke July 11, 2015 at 1:27 pm

Whenever we lose someone it is difficult, but with children it is twice as heartbreaking. A life unfulfilled, potential cut short. We are tempted to wonder where is God in all of this? But we have to always remember His ways are not our ways , His thoughts are not our thoughts and even when it makes no sense to us, we still have to keep trusting Him.

3. kathy ann griffith(jordan) July 11, 2015 at 1:09 pm

my condolences go out to your family marva and rudy may the lord keep you strong

4. Rosco Belle July 11, 2015 at 1:51 pm

I knew him from evening class at Fredrick Smith Secondary. The whole members of that class are shocked by this news. He was a good boy who was bright and willing to learn anything. He was intelligent, respectful and funny. He was responsible and hard working. He was also a great friend to many.
    Rest In Peace Karim. Gone too soon.

5. Sonia Romain
    Sonia Romain July 11, 2015 at 2:21 pm

When you know someone is sick and died a person can somehow handle that bereavement to a certain extent. But when someone you love dearly has died under tragic circumstances it is just too much to bear…as a mom I sympathies with karim’s mother and I hope you find comfort knowing that God is in control and he will see you through your heartfelt condolences are extended to the family and friends of karim..may he rest in peace and rise in glory.

6. jrsmith July 11, 2015 at 6:39 pm

Condolences to this young mans family, it seems as though on this island of Barbados, cars are becoming as lethal as a loaded gun,we are loosing too many , brothers, sisters , family , close friends and friends by vehicle accidents, mostly cars.

What is going on , are these cars that safe, to be on our roads, you politicians pull your fingers out , to hell with you all , do something ,try something, to stop the pain of our bajans families , day in day out , our people are hurting.

Get these vehicles, tested before they are sold to the public , too much ,too much, this got to stop. we are all expose to this madness.

7. Ormond Mayers July 11, 2015 at 7:49 pm

Don’t know you. but I am moved with a sense of sadness, at your sudden passing at such a very young age of 16. This is real sad . You had so much life ahead of you. My condolences to your mom, family and friends, RIP

8. Patrick Blackman July 11, 2015 at 8:59 pm

@jrsmith – Hail, Seems alot of these cars are reconditioned, may be some duds got pass quality control?

9. Tony Waterman July 12, 2015 at 12:03 am

@jrsmith!!!!! I am painfully aware that all these cars shipped to the “THIRD WORLD” are Substandard,That is where the manufactuers are making Huge Profits, they dont have to meet the stringent Standards set by the DEVELOPED Countries, but also Perhaps you can also ask the question !!! are the Roads in Barbados and many of our neighbouring Countries, Ready for theses Cars, i would tend to say no, the Roads in Barbados are mailny too small for the speeds that are exhibited on them by our local Drivers.
    May he rest in Peace, and rise again someday with the Angels in Glory.
    Requiescat in Pace (Pake)

10. jrsmith July 12, 2015 at 2:24 pm

@.Tony,W, and Patrick,B, hail gentlemen, if some or, numbers of these vehicles is substandard, if this is knowledge by our politicans,is this the reason they are all keeping quite.

11. Charles Worrell July 12, 2015 at 11:57 pm

Yes, yet another kid is gone. We all feel a sense of loss and we are wondering why this is happening. This is a very good question and what it begs is that we as a people, re-examine ourselves and see what we have done or have not done and what we can do to affect the results we are currently getting.
    There is an observation that remains virtually unchallenged and in our current state of life, we have allow this concept to go by us since we are now the people of the “new age.”
    Most of our successful children, some now grown have made that cut by virtue of old principles and values; curfew, places they frequented; things they did, all of these had some form of policing to them and some enforcement as well.
    Most successful marriages too, boost of upholding the ole biblical truths; accountability, commitment to the covenant irrespective of how things went at times, until they were solved. Even where or when females work, it was to enhance the needs of the home and not to make another head. Stay with me, I am going somewhere.
    Success at work followed, commitment to being on time; observing lunch time, minimizing absences and doing one’s assigned task in an expeditious manner. Being open to overtime work when necessary etc. etc..dressing for the job and observing codes of respect for superiors and others. There are many more examples we can use to make this point.
    Today, most of our kids are falling behind; marriages are falling apart; many are being superceded in the workplace largely because of our present culture which tells us the we are in the international age; the way we look at things are no longer correct nor relevant; we are now fast tract yet, very few of the successes even here are results of fast track but rather the old standards.
    Sixteen years old and out at twelve midnight. Think about it. Is this what we should want for our young kids? What if we learn that the parents are at home in bed while the kids are in the road? Is it ‘cool’ to have our children in the road while we as adults, with responsibility at home, sleeping? Yes, I can hear you asking me what “stone age” am I from? And I hear you as you remind me that those days are gone. The path is short and death is certain and as long as we continue to ride on this road, we must these things. Even as I extend condolences, I cant help but wonder IF we will use this other unfortunate accident to do something about the way we have allowed our young people to live and if we can find a way to bring back something that would benefit them and reduce the incidence of death, then lets do it.

12. Rose July 13, 2015 at 9:12 am

Charles, I agree with you 100%, my thoughts when I first heard this news was “he is sixteen, out at midnite with a 19 year passenger” no he is not sixteen, but he really is. Where did all of this talk about reconditioned cars come from, third world etc. is there any proof and this is just another political football for the “yardfowls. Maybe the unions should call a strike. Not saying that the young man’s parents are not good or responsible, but I know you would have had to win that car to be driving it bout that time of nite, plus how long would he have had licence even if he is nearly seventeen, he should still be supervised. I am truly hurting to see a youngster was able to finish school with all the distractions of drug use and now to lose his life. May the good Lord bring comfort to his parents, friends and family. Let us as parents be a little more vigilant. Rest in Peace. This is no condemnation but just from a mother with a heavy heart.