Inniss won’t let strike be a distraction
Minister of Industry, Donville Inniss, has sent a strong message to the National Union of Public Workers (NUPW) that he will not allow threats of industrial action to distract him from running his ministry.
The NUPW has called out its members in a national strike on Monday, over a decision by the Barbados Investment and Development Corporation (BIDC) to terminate ten employees over age 60.
The union decided to take industrial action after talks with Inniss broke down last week.
“I have done my utmost best to engage both parties on the matters,” Innis said.
“Obviously the union has clearly indicated that this is much more than about the BIDC. It certainly cannot be about the BIDC any longer because the BIDC has conformed with the laws of Barbados. And therefore if the unions quite regrettably wish to take industrial action, then all I can say is that it is regrettable.”
Inniss told reporters that matters pertinent to international business cannot be put on the back burner because of threats of industrial action.
“My task is to get up and get out here and there and wherever and find jobs for Barbadians; find companies to establish in Barbados. That is how we earn foreign exchange; that is how we create jobs; that is how we boost our tourism sector.
“Sitting down and spending every waking moment worrying about threats of industrial action however unwarranted it is, is not the way that I can run my ministry.”
Earlier today, Labour Minister Esther Byer said protest action will not solve the issue, and called for further dialogue between both parties.