News Feed

October 27, 2016 - United win Manchester derby Juan Mata struck to win a tight Man ... +++ October 27, 2016 - IAAF wants Bolt’s services KINGSTON, Jamaica – IAAF Pres ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Proper shutdown protocol needed, says Bynoe The Department of Emergency Managem ... +++ October 27, 2016 - ‘Out of touch’ Economist Ryan Straughn says the la ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Lowe looking to protect the south coast A senior policymaker has warned tha ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Road Hockey 5s hit halfway mark After three weeks of competition th ... +++

Mottley blames Gov’t for boy’s death

Opposition Leader Mia Mottley is placing blame for the death of an 11-year-old boy in a traffic accident at the entrance to the Villages at Coverley last Friday, squarely at the feet of Government.

Addressing a Barbados Labour Party (BLP) public meeting in Codrington Hill, St Michael last night, immediately opposite the former home of BLP icon and National Hero, the late Sir Grantley Adams, Mottley said the accident occurred because Government had abdicated its responsibility and duty to the public.

Abijah Holder died on the spot when the car in which he was travelling on his way home from school graduation, reportedly struck a sign post on the road that leads into the Christ Church development and overturned. The car was driven by his mother.

Mottley said fault for the accident had to be placed on the driveway to the Villages at Coverley, which, she alleged, illegally extended onto the road reserve, which is state property, but Government had been negligent in enforcing its removal.

BLP Leader Mia Mottley addressing the rally last night.

BLP Leader Mia Mottley addressing the rally last night.

“What I need to tell you is that the Chief Town Planner advised . . .  that they needed to remove that obstruction from the road reserve, because both the Chief Town Planner and the Chief Technical Officer were against it,” the BLP leader told the crowd.

She said more than three years had passed since notification was given . . . and the morning that it was to be removed, a call came to the MTW Department and told them, ‘do not use the MTW equipment to move nothing at Coverley’,” the BLP leader charged.

“A young boy, full of promise, is dead tonight,” Mottley said.

“This Government has abdicated the responsibility to protect the public interest.  If this were the life of the son of somebody prominent in this society, Barbados would have catch afire about that thing in the road. But it was a Rasta boy. He was the son of a black woman, a Rasta woman.

“How can two Barbadoses emerge in this country again from people who should know better?” she asked.

The BLP leader further claimed that the developer was being allowed a free hand with building standards.

“The Environmental Protection Department is yet today to approve those houses,” she said, reporting that the EPD had ruled that windows for the buildings were too small, causing the houses to be hot.

Despite this, she said, houses were being sold.

Mottley also raised questions about the deal with Government through which the developer acquired the land. She said Government leased the developer five acres of state land for 99 years at $100 a year for the housing project.

“And you got a bank and a clinic and restaurants and a gas station paying them rent up there, and the taxpayers land get give way,” she claimed.

6 Responses to Mottley blames Gov’t for boy’s death

  1. Patrick Blackman June 30, 2015 at 8:48 am

    And this is the person you want to be the next prime minister of this country, darn fool.

    • ejd June 30, 2015 at 12:44 pm

      yes to your question

  2. Patrick Blackman June 30, 2015 at 12:58 pm

    @EJD -Thanks for reaching the same conclusion as I did.

  3. dwayne jordan June 30, 2015 at 4:28 pm

    Mia needs to cool out a tad bit…she need not beat up the gov when anything at all happens,,its an accident.

    I would not have linked the 2 incidents,, bc it seems shes using the death of the boy to push her agenda. Anyways everything she states maybe true except gov being responsible for death,,the driver made an error, or swerved to avoid someone.

  4. arjun June 30, 2015 at 8:09 pm

    First let me say greetings to all. I am not going to take sides or am I going to blame anyone for saying anything; that is the job of the ones who are into the GAMES and SCHEMES(DIRTY) of follytics who continues to fight and criticize each other like ANIMALS(still I prefer to watch and listen to first) and two conflicting and contradictive religions. All I am going to say is that a death occurred and if the eyes and CONSCIOUSNESS of THESE PEOPLE were opened that comment would not even been made it only goes t show how more UNCONSCIOUS HUMANITY is becoming.If TIME itself have decided this individuals death then it would have taken him in some other FORM(OCCURANCE).Many of you have turned a BLIND eye to many things,too caught up with your crazy schemes and EGOISTIC WAYS.BUT GUESS WHAT? TIME WILL ERASE YOU ALSO.You serve no purpose in this LIFE and THIS planet at this TIME.You have to give that ENERGY(LIFEFORCE) or SOUL back you are all DISHORMONIC. But you can change it. Take it from wise words from ARJUN

  5. villager. July 3, 2015 at 8:47 pm

    No wonder her legal education certificate is in question,this matter is being investigated by competent accident investigators, and having been to the scene of this accident and carried out some observations at the time the emergency services were there i formulated opinions that i will not divulge, however some form of distraction could have been the culprit,but to make such an outlandish statement? I tend to agree with you Mr.Blackman.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *