Playoff fever

Teams jostle for positions as tourney nears climax

Defender Jabarry Lucas was the unlikely hero as Magnum Dayrells Road made it through to the quarter-final round of the 2015 Banks Beer Champions Cup with a hard-fought 1-0 victory over Eden Stars at the Wildey, St Michael Astro Turf last night.

Their reward for the win will be a tough match-up in the next round against the Barbados Defence Force Sports Programme.

Just when the game looked as though it would have gone into extra time due to good defending from both sides, and a few missed opportunities as well, Lucas stepped up on the offensive end and rattled Eden Stars’ nets with a powerful strike in the 77th minute.

Lyden Watson of Dayrells Road  shakes off a strong challenge from Shawayn Williams of Eden Stars.
Lyden Watson of Dayrells Road shakes off a strong challenge from Shawayn Williams of Eden Stars.

The opportunity to break the battle of attrition came when the ball was played inside the box and Lucas who had moved forward showed some deft skills and dribbled past two Eden Stars’ defenders. He then launched a right-foot shot into the back of the nets with such force that goalkeeper Romayne Primus could only watch it flash past him while he remonstrated with his defence.

Eden Lodge tried desperately to get that all-important equalizer but the defensive mind-set which had seen Dayrells Road keep a clean sheet in the first half and the majority of the second, now kicked in to telling effect. Indeed, with better finishing Dayrells road might have added to Lucas’ effort before the final whistle. That game was the last quarter-final spot to be decided in the competition.

The Barbados Football Association’s Division Two and Three playoffs were also contested last evening at Wildey. In the Division two showdown, St Andrew Lions and St John Sonnetts played to a 2-2 draw. Zico Greaves gave Lions the 1-0 lead nine minutes into the game but that advantage did not last long as Sonnetts equalized two minutes later when Diego Ward scored from the penalty spot.

Sonnetts Dwayne Bailey (left) clears the ball away from Lions' captain and goal-scorer Zico Greaves (No. 2)
Sonnetts Dwayne Bailey (left) clears the ball away from Lions’ captain and goal-scorer Zico Greaves (No. 2)

In the 27th minute Lions regained the lead compliments of their main weapon, Greaves. Those smiles on the faces of the Lions and their fans however soon turned sombre in the 39th minute when Ward captured his second goal of the game and managed to level the scores.

Lions’ defenders had themselves to blame for giving Ward more than enough room to simply pick his spot and chip the ball over the head of their goalkeeper Marco Clarke who had come too far off his goal-line.

Meanwhile in Division Three playoffs Potential Ballers thrashed Red and White 6-0 when the two sides met. Anton Taylor opened the score for Ballers in the second minute of the game. Then Lloyd Wilkinson contributed two goals in the fifth and 82nd minutes. At this stage it was apparent Red and White were in over their head in this match-up. Keron Simon scored in the 29th, Michael Graham of Red and White added to his team’s desperate situation with an own goal in the 38th and Donovan Callender contributed to the trouncing with a 78th minute effort.

(Pictures by Morissa Lindsay)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *