News Feed

October 22, 2016 - Helping Haiti The Help Haiti Today Radiothon, has ... +++ October 22, 2016 - St James man nursing stab wounds One woman is assisting police with ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Teen remanded Eighteen-year-old Adam Harris of En ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Police probe Wildey fire Police are investigating a fire whi ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Intrigue among Barbados Pride With the start of the 2016-17 West ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Water hope Relief could soon be on the way for ... +++

LONDON – Four coasters closed down after crash

LONDON –– Four roller coasters at three theme parks have been shut after a crash at Alton Towers in which 16 people were injured, four seriously.

The Smiler, which crashed, and Saw, a similar ride at Thorpe Park, would both be shut “for the foreseeable future”, owner Merlin Entertainments said.

The Smiler ride

The Smiler ride

Two rides at Chessington World Of Adventures have also been closed until new safety protocols have been applied.

Merlin Entertainments said the victims of the crash would “want for nothing”.

Two carriages, one of which was empty, crashed on Tuesday, leaving some passengers trapped for four and a half hours.

Two men, 27 and 18, a woman, 19, and a girl, 17, suffered serious leg injuries and remain in hospital.

Daniel Thorpe, 27, from Buxton underwent surgery yesterday, the BBC understands.

Vicky Balch, 19, from Leyland in Lancashire, remains in a “critical condition” in hospital, according to her lawyer Paul Paxton.

Balch is expected to make a claim for damages, Paxton said, although the main focus at the moment was on her recovery.

“It is expected that serious consideration will be given to criminal prosecutions. The family are distraught that a fun day out could turn into such a potentially life-changing disaster,” he said.

Nick Varney, chief executive of Merlin Entertainments, said it was the “first major accident we’ve had on a ride in the company’s history”.

“Our first priority has been to look after the people on that ride,” he said.

“We want to do everything we possibly can to support those families [most severely affected].

“We haven’t managed to make contact with all of them and we are desperately trying to do that.

“They will want for nothing in the sense of what they need, be it accommodation, transport anything.

“And of course there will not be any question of them needing to go through the anguish of arguing for compensation.”

Alton Towers will remain closed tomorrow, but bosses hope to reopen the park in the “next few days”. The Smiler ride will stay out of action until the cause of the accident is known.

Health and Safety Executive (HSE) inspectors have served a prohibition notice on the ride stopping its use “until action is taken to deal
with the cause of the failure”.

Thorpe Park's Saw is one of the rides that has been shut.

Thorpe Park’s Saw is one of the rides that has been shut.

Varney said there was “no conclusive answer yet”, but the firm believed the accident was caused by a “rather unique sequence of events”.

It is estimated the park has been losing up to £500,000 a day since Tuesday.

Sam Bailey, 30, from Kent, said she had been in the same row of The Smiler ride only a few days ago as those injured.

“By chance I was sat on the front row of the carriage” she said.

“It’s crazy to think after seeing the pictures. I happened to be sitting on the same seat as them only a few days earlier.”

Bailey was also at Chessington World Of Adventures in Surrey tomorrow and said the Dragonsfury ride was shut down soon after 15:00 BST.

The park’s Rattlesnake ride is also closed.

Varney said extra safety protocols had been introduced across Merlin’s theme parks, but it would take a few days to implement those on two Chessington rides as they used “different operating systems”.

He said Thorpe Park’s Saw ride had been closed until the cause of the Alton Towers crash is known as it was made by the same manufacturer and was essentially a “very similar ride” to The Smiler.

Merlin Entertainments said it was co-operating fully with the HSE investigation and intended to complete a “thorough appraisal” of its safety processes at Alton Towers “in the near future”.

The HSE said carriages involved in The Smiler crash would be removed later and taken to its laboratory in Buxton for further analysis.

It said the prohibition notice did not affect other rides at Alton Towers.

Source: (BBC)

One Response to LONDON – Four coasters closed down after crash

  1. Cynthia Blackman
    Cynthia Blackman June 6, 2015 at 6:32 am

    This is why I do not LIKE these I know anything can happen anytime but I just do not like .. I have a loud voice can you imagine me and I am aware that something is happening …


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *