October 25, 2016 - Byer-Suckoo reacts to union president’s demotion As far as Minister of Labour Dr Est ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Six weeks and counting Six straight weeks! That’s how lo ... +++ October 25, 2016 - 50th celebrations boycott Member of Parliament for St Joseph ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Two sudden resignations at Flow Telecommunications giant Flow has b ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Dead wrong! Minister of Education Ronald Jones ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Sinckler urges retailers to follow the rules Minister of Finance Chris Sinckler ... +++

160 hours community service for Brathwaite

COURT TODAY BLOCKThe “Seaweed Project” was given a helping hand today when a young man was ordered to complete 160 hours to help remove the marine vegetable matter which has been washing up on local beaches.

Kadeem Ramon Brathwaite, 23, had just pleaded guilty before Magistrate Douglas Frederick, to having a small quantity of marijuana on Wednesday. He appeared in the District ‘A’ Magistrates’ Court.

Prosecuting the case, acting Station Sergeant Neville Watson said that police found the ganja when they executed
a search warrant at Brathwaite’s home yesterday.

After the facts were read, Brathwaite wanted to know: “So I gine got to pay a fine for the five-bag I get hold wid?” Magistrate Frederick informed him that there were several options, before asking the first-time offender: “So do you prefer a fine?”

When Brathwaite replied in the affirmative, the Magistrate responded: “But I prefer that you stop. What are you going to do about it?” “I could stop . . . but I get hold with it red-handed; There ain’t nothing I could do ‘bout it yesterday,” Brathwaite said.

The magistrate then told Brathwaite he had “some work for him” to do.

The young man subsequently agreed to perform the 160 hours of community service, recommended by the probation officer.

Magistrate Frederick also explained to Brathwaite that if he performs the community service well, his criminal record will remain unblemished. He returns to court on September 4.

12 Responses to 160 hours community service for Brathwaite

1. Patrick Blackman June 5, 2015 at 2:34 am

2. Sheryl Smith
    Sheryl Smith June 5, 2015 at 5:02 am

See weed and don’t see weed or clean sea weed.

3. Cherylann Bourne-Hayes
    Cherylann Bourne-Hayes June 5, 2015 at 5:28 am

That along with cleaning up parts of the island. Will keep him and there busy and we will have a spotless island

4. Aldo June 5, 2015 at 7:25 am

That judge made a very good decision,teach that young man a good lesson about hard work and not easy street, and those other guys in Dodds for child support and petty theft bring them out also to help clean up the beaches ,

5. Patrick Blackman June 5, 2015 at 7:28 am

@Aldo: Totally true.

6. jus me June 5, 2015 at 8:03 am

****his criminal record will remain unblemished****????
    Who does write dis garbage??.

He got a criminal record

He ENT got a criminal record

7. Gloria Mendes June 5, 2015 at 8:55 am

From my post to the magistrates ear. So glad to see this and sincerely hope to see lots more of it. What a difference it would make to our beaches to have this project work. And ease the pressure of more in mates in Dodds.

8. Marcia Clarke June 5, 2015 at 2:06 pm

Well, well well!

9. Tony Waterman June 5, 2015 at 2:53 pm

@jus me !!!!! “”****his criminal record will remain unblemished****????
    Who does write dis garbage??.
    He got a criminal record OR He ENT got a criminal record””

Every time i see a comment like this, i am less and less unhappy about this Government’s decision to stop fully Funding Tiertary Education, seeing that so many of you you seems to hve skipped two Highly valuable Courses, Common sense 101 and how to think progressively 101.

The fellow is 23 years old, and is not doing anything more than at least TWO of our former Leaders have done (FACT) and they never got a Criminal record, so why do you think that this guy should??
    I am backing Magistrate Frederick on this one 110%, he OBVIOUSLY took all of his Courses.

The Guy has a little POT and is caught, your soultion, is to put him up at Doods with all those other hardback Criminals, FEED him and CLOTHE him for 6 Months, and then what ? he picks up some worse habbits whilst there and is back outside executing what he learned inside.
    Meanwhile the judge is smart enough to know that with all the Austerity Measures in place, and without enough people at MTW to perform certain chores this is a great way to “”Keep Barbados Clean”” whilst saving the Government close to SIX Month of $$$$ for feeding Mr.Kadeem Ramon Brathwaite.
    GOOD ON YOU Magistrate Frederick. see how many more you can send to keep our Beaches Sparkling Clean, that seaweed is DAMAGING out Tourism Product.

Psalm 107:23
    They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters;

Magistrate Frederick 101.1
    He went down to Browns Beach, in a ZR,and after 160 Days of
    cleaning Sargassam, there was no more.

@Jus me!!!Stop being so MYOPIC, try to see the BIG Picture.
    Dodds was Built to hold 1000 persons, and is as we speak 99%+ filled, mainly with people on REMAND, people like Mr.Brathwaite, People that owe CHILD Money, etc , WHY???????? Fine them or give them Community Service and Save the Country BIG $$$$$ that are NEEDED elsewhere.

10. jus me June 5, 2015 at 10:07 pm

My Dear man(Waterman)
    Please write on your bathroom mirror.
    I must OPERATE my MOUT ONLY AFTER I ENGAGE my Brain. “”****his criminal record will remain unblemished****????
    The statement is nonsensical ,Tertiary educated or otherwise
    I will lay it out for you.

If ONE DOESENT have a CRIMINAL RECORD ONE is therefore unblemished in FACT.
    SO PLEASE , as you are SO WELL educated,EXPLAIN to we plebians HOW it is PPOSSIBLE for a CRIMINAL RECORD to REMAIN UNBLEMISHED??!!
    (get the BIG picture now??)

11. Patrick Blackman June 5, 2015 at 10:54 pm

@jus me: Point… point… sir

@Waterman : He got yah dey… But I understand exactly what you are saying and you are correct, but he got yah dey.

12. Patrick Blackman June 6, 2015 at 10:33 pm

@Waterman & @jus me – I think both yah got me dey.. hahaha.. have a good evening . lol…