October 25, 2016 - Police officer dies suddenly The Royal Barbados Police Force is ... +++ October 25, 2016 - St Peter woman arrested and charged A 26-year-old St Peter woman has be ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Vehicle overturns at Warrens Police say no injuries were reporte ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Digital direction Send and receive money digitally, e ... +++ October 25, 2016 - GG winding down school visits In a matter of weeks, once all goes ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Husbands, Walcott brilliant in Canada TORONTO, Canada – Veteran Bar ... +++

Captain Sawyer hurt by NOW criticisms

Captain Sawyer hurt by NOW’s response to ‘Suga Daddy’

Hurtful and disappointing.

That’s how calypsonian, Captain Sawyer, is describing critical comments made by outgoing President of the National Organization of Women (NOW), Marilyn Rice-Bowen, about his popular 2015 Crop Over song, Suga Daddy.

Marilyn Rice-Bowen

Marilyn Rice-Bowen

Rice-Bowen suggested that Sawyer should not be asked to appear at any National Cultural Foundation (NCF) sponsored activity this Crop Over because the lyrics of the tune cast Barbadian women in an unfavourable light.

With many women on the breadline as a result of the economic crisis, she said it was unpalatable to hear such predatory behaviour expressed in the song, which says:

Me and my sugar plum

The two of we will never done

Something for something

My sweet little young thing

You want a flat screen. No problem

You want a washing machine. No problem

You got little children. No problem.

Put on your clothes and meet me by the credit union

You want a new stove. No problem

You want new clothes. No problem

You want new hairdo, you want more Remy

Meet me at the bank at a quarter to 3

I know my Belly big

I know that my hair grey

You and u friends feel I is a punk

I will give u so much money u won’t get it count.

You light bill in the air

You cupboard home bare

Just relax darling

Don’t panic meet me at the Sure Pay in the supermarket.

You boyfriend getting jealous

Don’t let him get between us

Tell him for me you make a decision to stand with this old man through this recession.

Your car insurance out.

Your road tax out, get your cellular phone

When we start to chat

I pay the car insurance and the car road Tax.

Saying he meant no harm, Sawyer told Barbados TODAY the song deals with an entirely different Sugar Daddy.

“This song came one evening (when) I was in my gap and I saw a Light & Power van coming to disconnect people light. Few days later, I saw the green van coming to disconnect the people water. So I said to myself, if I had money, I would try to help them you know,” he explained.

Sawyer added: “The song is about what is going on now. It’s hard on people out there. It’s like I am trying to help. If I were a billionaire, I would help the people. That’s why I say I’m the Suga Daddy. One who would help people who have a hard time surviving.”

He said Rice-Bowen had blown the entire situation out of proportion and he would have preferred if she had spoken to him before publicly blasting the song.

“She is misleading. She turn my ship on another course. I feel very hurt. If they had a problem with my song, they could have contacted me and talked it out instead of blasting me on air. I believe if I were a well-known calypsonian, it would just be a phone call and a chat. But me, being the small Captain Sawyer, they think they can just blast me.”

“Performing from 1997 when I started with Alien Forces to now, this is the most hurtful remarks I have ever gotten from anyone or any organization,” Sawyer said. “I’m for the people. I’m still going to come and make people happy just for the entertainment. I don’t worry about the crown. I don’t worry about winning, I just make my contribution to Crop Over.”

He expressed concern that the criticism was going to affect how much he gets to perform this season.

“They are telling other organizations not to invite me to their fetes. I’m scared because don’t forget Captain Sawyer has not performed for the NCF for over 11 years,” he said.

“The last time I performed for NCF was in 2004. I haven’t been on an event since then. I’m a people’s champion. I just make a contribution to Crop Over. I didn’t enter for three years. And now I enter, it’s like someone throwing stones at me.”

Sawyer said he had no intention now of speaking with  Rice-Bowen.

“I have not spoken to her and I will stay away from those people. It keeps flashing in my mind how she reacted on TV and it was very aggressive,” he said, making clear that he will continue to perform his song.

He apologized, however, to anyone whom he may have offended.

“I’m very sorry that I have offended people. When I write this song, I was trying to let these people that are having hard times, [have] a chance to dance and have fun for while and release their stress but instead I end up with these . . . vicious attacks from these organizations.”

22 Responses to Captain Sawyer hurt by NOW criticisms

1. Maria Leclair
    Maria Leclair June 4, 2015 at 3:42 am

For Pete’s sake woman it’s just a song, get over it and move on. Go deal with the bigger more important issues, quite wasting time on trivial crap.

2. Wendy Clarke
    Wendy Clarke June 4, 2015 at 4:12 am

Unfortunately he isn’t lying. It’s real and it’s happening. Too late to close the stable door when the horse has already bolted.

• Wendy Clarke
      Wendy Clarke June 4, 2015 at 5:04 am

In complete agreement @ Kay Critchlow. I have also noticed that even though they leave harder times for a better life throughout the world they still pratice the same behaviour.

3. Thomas Katt
    Thomas Katt June 4, 2015 at 5:58 am

It seems the like the only woman offended by this song is her. Wonder why. Lol

4. kathy-Ann Clarke June 4, 2015 at 8:20 am

I think she was really harsh to say that she believes he should not be allowed to perform at any of the NCF events. That is blowing things out . Come on, you are now stopping him from making an honest dollar. That is not nice at all. I honestly do not agree with the stand that you are making, and I hope the person in charge of the NCF do not agree with what you say. Let the man sing. Well one good thing so far, it hasnt been banned from the stations.

5. harry turnover June 4, 2015 at 9:46 am

Sawyer why you hurt by Rice-Bowen comments ? wha you en telling na lies.
    Sometime ago the FIRST conversation over the phone I had with a woman that I had met she asked me for MONEY for a HAIR DO,the SECOND conversation she asked for a CELL PHONE WITH A CAMERA, and the THIRD, some SEXY NEGLIGEE .. I told her yes to all three.but when I told her that I would like to see her in the negligee,she told me I WAS TOO FAST.
    Nowadays if one happens to meet a woman,one of the FIRST things they would ask for is a TOP UP…..and Rice-Bowen getting on as though men gine just up and spend money on women for NOTHING…not this nigga though.
    Rice-Bowen you need to distribute some leaflets to the young women on Bush Hill at night…some of them so desperate they going bottomless these nights.

6. Mark Jones June 4, 2015 at 10:02 am

Sawyer, do not let the nonsense expressed in certain quarters get you down. Your efforts are appreciated and I will continue to listen to you. Perhaps some of the persons in these organisations need to come out and rub shoulders with the man (and woman) in the street to see the realities of life in Barbados. As a calypsonian part of your role is to document what is going on in society and your song highlights what has been a practice in Barbados for a long time.

7. dave June 4, 2015 at 10:21 am

Sawyer ! I love your song Bro ! People around me love it too. Have not heard anyone say that they hate. The guys were singing it yesterday, they love it too.

8. Tony Waterman June 4, 2015 at 10:30 am

Capt.Sawyer!!!! Why are you even have a conversation about what Marilyn Rice-Bowen, thinks, or has said about your Song ??
    Your Medium has always sang about such subjects, and there is nothing in the Constitution, or the Laws of Barbados that prevents you from doing that.
    Miss/Mrs.Marilyn Rice-Bowen, i a hypocrit, she is offended by your lyrics, which if taken how she see them, actually is happening as we speak, but, she is BLIND to what some of these same women she is purporting to represent, are doing as soon as and even bfore the Sun Sets on Bush Hill, and other places, much more than what the Lyrics of your song are saying.
    her concern is ill placed, she is like that Bird that sticks it’s head in the sand and leaves it’s Rear unprotected (Myth)
    it’s interesting to note that she never went after the singer of “Headboard” (Wonder why) or the singer who wanted the woman to do the 6.30, or those who cause the car to Brek down. your fruits must be hanging low.
    MAN!!! Go sing yuh somg.

9. Sue Donym June 4, 2015 at 10:50 am

Capt. Sawyer is back pedaling. Yes, he is hurt by the criticism and the possibility of being sidelined clearly stings. But notice how he distances himself from the obvious meaning of his words – something for something is NOT the same as helping people in need.
    Whether it happens is not the issue. The commenters here are giving examples that imply that they too know that something is ‘wrong’ with the begging mentality. The thing to take away is that girls/women need to know that they make themselves vulnerable by continuing this. They are open to (s)exploitation and abuse.

There are other examples of things that happen, but should we
    also seek to romanticise, glorify or trivialise killing and stealing?

I am well aware that not everyone that enters this kind of transaction feels exploited. But don’t forget for every female being taken advantage of there is someone who is getting something from her. I think there is a name for that.

• harry turnover June 4, 2015 at 1:45 pm

Sue, something for something is not a one way street as you are trying to imply.
      There ARE women out there who say ” if any man wants my body,they have to PAY for it…THAT IS SOMETHING FOR SOMETHING TOO !!
      Man or woman is NOT obligated to help ANYBODY…it is left to their social conscience.In the case,however,of a man helping a woman ,sometimes the man wants NOTHING in return but the woman INSISTS that she give him SOMETHING in return…that IS NOT exploitation on the mans’ part.
      Finally MORE women take advantage of men in MANY MORE WAYS than the other way around.

• Sue Donym June 4, 2015 at 4:50 pm

@harry turnover. Did you actually read my comment? I am not the one saying that ‘something for something’ is a one way street. I am implying that if Capt Sawyer really meant doing something ‘for nothing’ he would NOT have phrased it “something for something”, interpreted to mean that the one doing the asking has to give something if they expect to get!

Furthermore, I was clear in saying that some people enter these arrangements with eyes wide open. Finally, what I suggested is that if the actions are distasteful, it’s not just one person’s participation that makes it so.

I think you might be on shaky ground in thinking there is more exploitation of males. I believe history and I will prove you wrong.

• harry turnover June 8, 2015 at 6:55 am

@Sue, if you can interpret something for something as being disrespectful to women,I can also interpret it as asking the question “something for NOTHING” ?

Up front in your first paragraph you put the blame squarely on Sawyer,but yet you go on …”The thing to take away is that girls/women need to know that they make themselves vulnerable by continuing this. They are open to (s)exploitation and abuse.”

Furthermore this same ” something for NOTHING ? ” applies to women when they say ‘if you want my body,you have to pay for it “.

MORE females ( and I am talking about in relationships ) exploit males than the other way around. Show me the history and bring your proof and I will do the same.

10. Aisha Hold
    Aisha Hold June 4, 2015 at 11:34 am

Don’t be cause I don’t see anything wrong with it, it’s a everyday thing, NOW needs to fight for women that are being beat kill, fight for a law to protect women and not jus be heard when someone is Murder , Its reality deal with it, sing yah song Captain Sawyer don’t mind them, stupseee,

• bajanguyster June 4, 2015 at 7:34 pm

well said and keep it real love yea girl

11. Patrick Blackman June 4, 2015 at 1:42 pm

I agree with Rice-Bowen, this song is an insult to all the women in B’dos. We can find all the excuses we want to disregard this attack on the vulnerability of women in our society.

• bajanguyster June 4, 2015 at 7:32 pm

it is insulting if you feel insuilting about your self ,cant i feel insuilting about what you write to? i can but if it is not true to hell with it and who write it we are the problem not the words ,

12. Angel Thomas
    Angel Thomas June 4, 2015 at 3:43 pm

Bajans hate the truth don’t worry about it

13. ken June 5, 2015 at 12:42 am

I remember the year RPB sang about respecting women in calypso. His appeal was adhered to in the subsequent years by “most” calypsonians, except one in particular, Alison Hinds, who sang “come up to my bamsy boy and ayyyeee yayeee yayeee… show me that needle”. I believe the arguments about respecting women on any level in this country are all misplaced and gender convenient. Traditionally calypso has always covered a wide range of topics and takes on many formats from comical to commentary. At the end of the day it’s our cultural art-form. It is not unlikely for someone like captain sawyer to choose to write a song about, what is becoming, a practice among some women in this country. If the head of NOW wants to argue about women being respected I think she needs to address the women. She needs to advocate respectability. Women cannot be allowed to behave anyhow and expect a different end result. To pick on a stupid calypso is tacky and lazy. One can choose from any topic from politics to cane to rally, Rice-Bowen chose a simple topic just to remain controversial.

• ken June 5, 2015 at 1:05 am

It is now common place for a lot of women in this country to have a man (unbeknownst to the men in most cases) for every need; one for Remy, one for electric and phone bill, one for cell phone, one for groceries etc. They perform a delicate balancing act with these men. This has nothing to do with love nor survival but more to do with greed and exploitation. Many women run themselves into trouble that way when they are found out. Those who defend this behavior comment on men having more than one woman instead of cautioning the danger and negative social repercussions of this practice. Those who believe that this is nonexistent have their heads buried deep in the sand. Rice-Bowen needs to address this issue among womenfolk if she wants to see social change. Captain sawyer ‘ s song is no different from gabby’s needles and pins nor Miss B’s no good men nor De Hawk ‘s all women are good. Picking on a traditional artistic expression is baseless, tacky and desperate.

14. Patrick Blackman June 5, 2015 at 2:05 am

@KEN: I, no don’t worry…

• ken June 5, 2015 at 2:55 am

@ Patrick : I am sure you…too, and I am… as well.