Guyana – Man shot dead in daring minibus ambush

GEORGETOWN –– Pandemonium broke out in a Route 44 minibus yesterday afternoon after a passenger was shot dead by another, who relieved him of a bag containing over $500,000, in the vicinity of University of Guyana Road, Turkeyen, Greater Georgetown. The dead man has been identified as Hardat Kissoon, 42-year-old rice farmer of Lot 94 Cane Grove, East Coast Demerara. He was shot once to his chest and was pronounced dead on arrival at the Georgetown Public Hospital.

According to information received, the now dead man boarded a loaded minibus at the East Coast minibus park at about 2:45 p.m. As the minibus travelled up to the East Coast and into the vicinity of the University of Guyana access road, a man who was sitting in the back passenger’s seat requested a stop. On his way out, he grabbed the bag containing the money from Kissoon.

Kissoon, who was also sitting in the back passenger seat of the minibus, reportedly put up a fight but the bandit whipped out a gun and shot him at close range. The shooter then took the bag and threw it out of the bus through a window to an accomplice, who was waiting on a CG motorcycle.

The man exited, jumped on the motorcycle, and fled the scene.

Passengers were left in shock and started to scream. Some of them even attempted to jump out of the moving minibus when the gunshot was heard. The man was rushed to the Georgetown Public Hospital, but did not make it.

Police at the scene of the shooting.
Police at the scene of the shooting.

One passenger told media operatives that the incident occurred right in front of him. He said it happened in a “jiffy” and seemed as though he was a part of a movie. After the man pulled out the weapon, the passengers, he noted, started to scream in fear.

The shooter was not wearing any mask and could be easily identified. Within minutes of the shooting, the police arrived at the scene where they took statements from the passengers and driver, who were visibly shaken up by the event.

At the Lyken’s Funeral Home, Soko Ramgobin, brother of the dead man, told the Guyana Times that Kissoon left home for Georgetown shortly after 10 a.m. yesterday.

The rice farmer visited the bank where he changed a cheque valued over $500,000 and was on his way home when he was killed. From reports received, it is believed that the now dead man might have been trailed from the city bank.

Ramgobin told the Guyana Times that it is a norm for his brother to travel to Georgetown to change his cheques and, more so, he always used public transportation. He explained that at about 3 p.m. the man’s son who was in the backdam received a telephone call from the police. However, after he told them he was in the backdam, he furnished them with a landline number.

“When the police call they tell we that Hardat end up in an accident and we must come to the hospital . . . . Is til we reach at the hospital, we know that he get shoot and dead,” the man said with tears in his eyes. The bag he disclosed had the man’s identification card, passport and other documents, along with the money.

The deceased’s wife and mother, along with other family members, were also at the funeral home to get a glimpse of the man’s body. The wife and mother were in tears and had to be consoled. The man leaves to mourn his wife, four children and siblings. The police have launched an investigation into the shooting incident.

This came less than 48 hours after Dennis Narine, a taxi driver, was shot and killed by a lone gunman who was attempting to gain access into the man’s home at Parfaite Harmonie, West Bank Demerara.

Narine was shot once in the chest and was pronounced dead on arrival at the West Demerara Regional Hospital. Police are yet to make an arrest as they continue their investigations.

Source: (Guyana Times)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *