October 26, 2016 - Wanted man bulletin Police are seeking the assistance o ... +++ October 26, 2016 - School feeding programmes could help fight NCDs A food and nutrition official has i ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Government has run out of options – Arthur Government’s fiscal policy is inf ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Sick airline A top official of regional airline ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Teachers back away from court threat The Barbados Union of Teachers (BUT ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Beacon supports regulatory move Beacon Insurance Company is giving ... +++

Husbands: Stay away from Charlie game

Saying he had heard at least one scary story from clients about what they had witnessed, a youth counsellor is appealing to Barbadian school children to stay away from the Charlie Charlie challenge craze sweeping the world.

Roger Husbands, the Director of Drug Education and Counselling Services (DECS), spoke to Barbados TODAY a day after pastors were summoned to a number of schools to pray for students following reports of strange and disturbing behaviour among those who had played the game.

Roger Husbands

Roger Husbands

“One guy came in and he was really shaken up. He was to the point where he could not function in the lesson,” Husbands said in an interview today.

“I am warning the young people of Barbados to not get involved with these spiritual things, especially when you don’t know what you are doing.”

Husbands said from the time the allegedly demonic game appeared on the local scene, his organization became aware of its presence through young people who came for professional services. He said one client reported witnessing a table floating in the air, splitting in half and the door slamming when his classmates played the game.

“This Charlie individual is a demon and I believe that it is one which is sent forth before a bigger one comes,” Husbands said.

“I honestly think a bigger one is on its way, it just got to get down to the States and if the young people don’t learn from this one, we are going to see bigger problems than we have seen with this last one.”

The game, which is taking over social media site Twitter, is fuelled by speculation that players can connect with a dead Mexican spirit known as “Charlie”. It involves placing two pencils on a piece of paper in the shape of a cross with the words “yes” and “no”. Participants then repeat the phrase “Charlie, Charlie can we play?” in order to connect with the alleged demon. If “Charlie” is there, the pencils will move to indicate his answer.

Husbands said the way to deal with these issues, in his opinion, was not only attacking it from a religious perspective, but also a spiritual standpoint. He called on the Ministry of Education to introduce more spiritual-based lessons in the schools.

“We can’t just stay in the church and say things like these are taking place, but we have to get into those schools. I honestly believe we need a very spiritual course being taught in our schools because it is important. We have to teach our young people to make the right decisions and be empowered,” the outspoken youth activist argued.

12 Responses to Husbands: Stay away from Charlie game

1. Patrick Blackman May 30, 2015 at 10:20 am

Another fool caught up in the hysteria, for sure this fool could never counsel my child.

• ken May 30, 2015 at 11:18 am

I told you already that anytime you speak in judgement against the body of Christ I will retort. I know Roger Husbands, and as a God fearing man he cannot be classified as a fool because the fool has said in his heart there is no God. You, Patrick are a fool by continuing to spit your insults against the Solution to this nation’s spiritual problem. You are a defender of this satanic new age practice and system where good is bad and bad is good. You have it twisted, so for the benefit of those who may read your rants and become encouraged to support them I renounce your position on this. The Church is definitely on the right track because it is attracting negative attacks from you and people like you on your father’s behalf. Jesus won on the cross and he will continue to win today despite your foolish rhetoric.

2. Patrick Blackman May 30, 2015 at 11:34 am

@Ken, I got you the first, second and the third time. It is your right to believe what you want and practice what you want. I am not a defender of satanic new age practice or what ever you want to call it. The point here is that instead of address this issue from a practical perspective you guys have gone off on a tangent into the abyss.

If there is proof of demonic possession in the school provide the proof so we all can benefit from it, just sitting back and talking about what is in the bible and what god said does not resolve the issue.

Prohibit the playing of the game in school because it is a distraction from the purpose for being at school. Adding this religious hysteria to the mix is just plain stupid solve nothing.

• ken May 30, 2015 at 12:00 pm

If you need to hear me 100 time more I will continue to speak, so getting me thenfirst, second and third time may not be enough for someone like you. You, like the rest of this nation should be aware of what went on in our schools and to our children. You, like the rest of this nation should be aware of the nature of the situation because it was made public. So pretending that you need proof of demon posession is ridiculous. It is obvious even to a sheep and a goat that this thing is satanic, so unless you are worse than a sheep or a goat I would understand holding your hands and showing you the proof of anything. The church has acted and will continue to act on this. The church has called a day of prayer and fasting. This is the action the church has taken if you missed it. Mr Husband has suggested further action as per what you just read in order to determine that he is a fool, so stop hiding behind ignorance and throwing stones like a coward. I told you that Jesus, the Son of the living and almighty, all powerful God, our Everlasting Father, has won on the cross and He will continue to win all the time.

3. Patrick Blackman May 30, 2015 at 11:39 am

I have never said god what bad, as St. Paul said every man to/in his own order. What I have said is that this religious hysteria serves no useful purpose, we have to deal with the issue in a logical manner.

You can continue to work on the nation’s spiritual problems while I address the real issues.

• ken May 30, 2015 at 12:07 pm

Maybe that is what you intended to say, what you WROTE and what was READ are completely different. Just in case you may be dyslexic this is what you wrote: “Another fool caught up in the hysteria, for sure this fool could never counsel my child”. Take your time and read it carefully lest you continue to confuse yourself.

4. Patrick Blackman May 30, 2015 at 12:11 pm

@Ken: Again you have gone off quoting the bible, which is fine by me, yet you have not proposed any solution. Having a day of pray and fasting will do nothing (wait till Tuesday and see if the problem evaporates). What we are looking for a practical solutions, not hell and brimstone rhetoric. Yes Jesus died on the cross, I am trying to solve the problems of the living.

5. Patrick Blackman May 30, 2015 at 12:16 pm

@ken: “Another fool caught up in the hysteria, for sure this fool could never counsel my child”. Unless this fool is God. So where did I say god was bad?

My reference was clearly towards Mr. Roger Husbands, unless he is now the embodiment of God.

• ken May 30, 2015 at 1:46 pm

Patrick, you are now totally and utterly confused. You have wrtten yourself into a corner. You are all over the place with your writing. I have not quote bible to you, No where have I mentioned that you said God is bad. No where have I mentioned anything about hell and brimstone, no where was it said that Mr. Husbands is the embodiment of God. I have addressed the issue of you attacking the church verbally. My support of what the church has put in place both spirtually and physically is my stance on the solution. Your lack of spiritual knowledge is seething through your arguments, I feel like I am in a conversation with a foetus so I will say no more.

6. Brimstone May 30, 2015 at 1:37 pm

It is amazing how we pick up the nonsense from the USA media and avatar world and internalize it as truth. Remember Harry Potter before ????? J.K. Rowlings rich and we still poor.
    This Charlie issue is dead in the US, so why BIM.

Ouija Board issues were around for years and no one has paid them any attention for years now.

7. Patrick Blackman May 30, 2015 at 2:34 pm

@Ken: Thank God.

8. jrsmith June 2, 2015 at 5:43 am

Our island is in an economic mess and all bajans do spend they time picking fights with anyone who doesn’t believe as they do. in the bible, if half the time spent dressing up going to church and praying was on meaningful business projects to help the island recover we all would be a lot better.
    For centuries our fore parents were enslave physically, where was god and jesus then, centuries later we are still enslaved, the generations of the slave past masters.

@ Ken , you are so godly know your bible, I would assume you have your seat next to ALLAH waiting for you. Bishop desmond TUTU, made a comment some years ago and no one from any religious organisation challenge him, HE SAID THE WHITE MAN WENT TO AFRICA, SAID TO THE AFRICANS LETS PRAY, WHEN THE AFRICANS OPEN THEY EYES , THE WHITE MAN TOOK THE LAND AND THE BLACKS HAD THE BIBLE.
    You must show what the religions and the bible has done for the world. Don’t know where you are living but the worlds poorest countries/islands are the most religious ones, where people don’t
    know what a clean glass of water means.
    8 millions blacks die a year from dieses , hunger and starvation on the continent of Africa that oh so religious part of the world , compare that to that to the other 4.