October 21, 2016 - Combermere thrash Graydon Sealy Former champions Graydon Sealy had ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Diabetes rate too high With 200 amputations said to taking ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Bring back our national bank – Abed Amidst increasing calls for the pri ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Assault and drug accused get bail Several people who appeared before ... +++ October 21, 2016 - NUPW threatens weekend strike Government workers are planning to ... +++ October 21, 2016 - On board Outspoken Government minister Donvi ... +++

Kadoo nakedness bothers Paul too

Father Clement Paul is calling on Kadooment bands to leave the nigh nakedness and erotic behaviour out of Crop Over this year.

A candid Paul, addressing recent comments by Minister of Education Ronald Jones, who urged Kadooment designers to “leave out the naked costumes”, commended the minister on his stand. But while Paul understood the issue with the nakedness, his major concern was the vulgarity associated with it.

The Roman Catholic priest marvelled at the fact that while men were “properly dressed in costumes”, women seemed to be wearing less and less clothing every year.

Father Clement Paul

Father Clement Paul

“Of course, I don’t have all the answers. I may have some suggestions. For example, I don’t see how creative nakedness can be.

“What I think we need is more creativity. I think that our costumes are not even costumes. There are several that get less and less, and skimpier and skimpier; and I don’t call that creativity,” said Paul.

Additionally, the priest said, while bands were being judged for their creativity and other themes, there were bandleaders out there keeping their revellers in costumes.

He lauded veteran bandleaders Betty West and Gwyneth Squires for setting high standards in good costuming.

“Last year, some of my young people in the church said to me, ‘But Father Paul, the bands that some of us young people look at and appreciate along with the judges, are not the ones with the skimpy costumes’.

“When they go across the stage, look at who gets Band Of The Year; and those are not the bands that have hardly anything on,” he said.

And while he knows he will receive lashes for it, Paul said he believed Christians’ involvement in Grand Kadooment would lift the standard of dress and eliminate the level of erotic behaviour.

He said instead of churches demanding policies to be implemented to deal with the issue, which is raised every year, they should get on the road, and not with their own bands.

“I think our members should take their Christian faith with them into these bands. And if we convince them that the human body is a temple, then they are not going to expose that temple to vulgar behaviour.

“Then people will say, ‘I am not wearing this, and I am not wearing that because it doesn’t do justice to my body. Yes, I paid my money, but I am not going to wear only a piece of string below my belly’,” Paul suggested.

Indicating he was always excited about engaging in discussions on Crop Over which he is 100 per cent behind, Paul argued the focus of the season should be on Barbados’ culture and on promoting it.

“I am not one of the people who make a lot of noise about wukking up. Revelry is revelry. What I can’t take on is the behaviour the nakedness tends to evoke –– and that is the problem.

“The nakedness and semi-nakedness tend to evoke erotic and eractic behaviour,” he said.

11 Responses to Kadoo nakedness bothers Paul too

1. Linda Fenty
    Linda Fenty May 21, 2015 at 9:00 am

They do, but don’t have to flaunt it to prove it.
    Make some of them more mysterious to us.
    Does he, or doesn’t he.

2. David Michael
    David Michael May 21, 2015 at 9:50 am

The truth of the matter is…more flesh ; more bacchanal .So this dichotomy of wanting to preserve Crop Over from lewdness and immorality and at the same time promote it is ludicrous ……it just don’t fit !!!!!!

3. Dre Forde
    Dre Forde May 21, 2015 at 9:54 am

Wow tha church try to control crop over now

• Ken May 22, 2015 at 7:50 am

No Dre Forde, don’t be silly. The church is commenting on the lewd and inappropriate dress wear of the citizens of this country, just like others have done, including government ministers. It appears as if people are just waiting for any opportunity to throw cheap shots at the church. Chill out brudda man.
      On another point: it baffles the mind how women are willing to leave home dressed and slack as ever but call men perverts. I thought a pervert would be the one who is willing to show their private parts to all and sundry in the quest to be called “sexy”.

4. Donna Harewood May 21, 2015 at 10:08 am

I no longer watch Kadooment. The lack of creativity in costumes and presentation is boring.

5. Veroniva Boyce
    Veroniva Boyce May 21, 2015 at 11:34 am

What?? All he got to do is close his eyes. He mekking sport yeh! All the hassle the citizens been through with that solid waste of time goverment, he don’t expect them to enjoy themselves. Why don’t he stay in church and praise the Lord and ask him for a peaceful and successful crop over, instead of trying to stop my Beautiful Bajans from enjoying their culture. Look enjoy wanna crop over and keep the consumption of alcohol to a minimum. Love you Barbados!!

6. Sharon Woolley
    Sharon Woolley May 21, 2015 at 11:39 am

Coming from a religion where priests prey on choir boys, typical church hypocrite

• Zeke Fahrid
      Zeke Fahrid May 21, 2015 at 12:19 pm

Coming from a country where racism is practiced, does that make you racist?

• Sharon Woolley
      Sharon Woolley May 21, 2015 at 12:30 pm

Not at all, I’m just sick of all the hypocrisy that comes from so called church leaders, and there is as much racism in Barbados as there is in this country

7. Marsha Armstrong May 21, 2015 at 1:19 pm

I fully support you Father Paul….Women we don’t need to expose ourselves for such a cultural celebration!!!! I stopped buying the Crop Over magazines because it carries shameful pics of what i cant call Barbadian culture.. How can i share with my penpals in Belgium these atrocious poses and lewd behaviour by both men and women.

8. Marcia Clarke May 22, 2015 at 12:31 am