October 28, 2016 - Employees pampered As Education Month draws to a close ... +++ October 28, 2016 - ‘Take big view of agriculture’ GEORGE TOWN, Cayman Islands– Sta ... +++ October 28, 2016 - NUPW reacts to Lowe’s comments on privatization The island’s largest public secto ... +++ October 28, 2016 - BUT warns of new militant approach The Barbados Union of Teachers (BUT ... +++ October 28, 2016 - Cameron expresses confidence in Windies women KINGSTON, Jamaica – West Indi ... +++ October 28, 2016 - Expect victimization! Opposition Leader Mia Mottley last ... +++

Tough love

Mom’s only worry was about company Shamar was keeping

Following the death of her son last Thursday, as a result of very tragic and questionable circumstances, a St Lucy mother is now seeking to clear her name of any wrongdoing.

“I love my children. I never brutalized Shamar or [his younger brother] Shaquon,” declared Julianne Weekes, in an exclusive interview with Barbados TODAY, following Shamar’s death.

The 12-year-old student was discovered hanging in the backyard of their Fryers Well, Checker Hall, St Lucy, home last Thursday, after he reportedly took his own life.

Shamar Weekes

Shamar Weekes

Breaking her silence, but refusing to be photographed, the 38-year-old woman stressed: “I love Shamar and he know that!”

However, she went on to reveal that she had one major worry as far as her deceased son was concerned.

“I keep trying to put him on the right path [and] I keep talking to him about doing what he has to do,” Julianne said.

Elaborating on her concern about who he was “hanging” with, but without identifying any individuals or groups by name, Shamar’s mother said: “I told him they were not the right people to be with”.

“I don’t know if he stopped hanging with them or not, but I told him not to,” she added.

Julianne Weekes

Julianne Weekes

As she spoke to Barbados TODAY from a side window of her home minutes after she arrived from the Crab Hill police station on Sunday, where she had been interrogated by officers for over five hours on the circumstances surrounding her son’s untimely passing, a very distraught and tired-looking Julianne admitted that she was a bit too harsh with Shamar at times.

However, not to the point of abuse of her son, she said.

“Shamar knows I wanted the best for him. I was probably a little harsh on him, but he know[s] I only wanted the best for him.”

The late Coleridge & Parry student of Class 1 Yearwood, who was well liked in his neighbourhood, was described by his mother as someone who liked “nuff” playing around, listening to music and watching DVDs.

“He liked school and he did his school work good,” she further noted.

However, “I used to tell Shamar, ‘stay in the house and do your homework. You were playing from primary school and now you hit secondary stop with all the playing, it is time to be serious about your books and do your work’.

“I used to keep talking to him over and over. I used to talk to him constantly. If I didn’t love Shamar I wouldn’t tell him don’t hang around with anybody and keep from bad company before you get in trouble with the police,” she said.

The St Lucy resident is therefore very annoyed about allegations that have surfaced since Shamar’s passing.

When a Barbados TODAY team visited the area last week, almost everyone spoke negatively of the relationship between the boy and his mother, suggesting that he was a victim of various forms of mistreatment and abuse.

Neighbours also complained bitterly that Shamar often went hungry. And in the wake of his death, fingers continue to be pointed in the direction of his mother, who some say is ultimately responsible for the child’s death.

However, giving her side of the story, Julianne said, “I used to be telling Shamar things for he own good to keep him on the right path. The people out here [in Checker Hall] talking all them want because they just want to see their name in the paper, and going on Facebook writing a lot of foolishness,” she told Barbados TODAY.

Addressing some of the recent allegations directly, she said: “I understand people are getting and saying Shamar wasn’t getting any food, but Shamar used to have food here. Every week I would buy groceries and my aunt would send down foodstuff every other week, so stuff was always here for the two of them to have. So I don’t know who walking about saying that he didn’t have food, but Shamar always had food here,” she insisted.

Julianne also made it clear that she loved her children dearly and would never do anything to bring harm to them, including her seven-year-old, who currently remains at home in her care.

Also angered by the suggestions of abuse on her part, Julianne said she wished the perpetrators would stop spreading vicious rumours about her, since they were only making matters worst for her and surviving members of her family, who she said were still struggling to come to grips with Shamar’s death.

“They know what they are saying is wrong because they don’t know me like that. They would just see me go to work and come back. They don’t know what kind of person I am. They are just talking all over their face,” she lamented.

Julianne, who is a security guard employed by A&C Security, and currently attached to the Cement Plant in St Lucy, said she had not had a full night’s sleep since last Thursday. She also said she was yet to fully explain Shamar’s death to his younger brother, who he was very close to.

The deceased St Lucy resident also has an 18-year-old sister.  Julianne, who paused several times during the interview to catch her breath, still has difficulty recalling the events of May 14. For instance, she told Barbados TODAY she could not remember the last conversation she had with Shamar. She also avoided any questions about the apparent suicide of her son, whose death has opened up a fresh wound and the dark images of that night are still too painful for her to want to recall.

“It is too hard to talk about,” she said, while stating that she will definitely miss her son and she was just trying to take life one day at a time.

An autopsy is to be carried out on the boy’s body tomorrow.,

16 Responses to Tough love

1. Skyy Blu
    Skyy Blu May 19, 2015 at 1:08 am

Kmt boy bajans does get me sick losing a son then pun top of it having to deal wid public ridicule is hard! And bet you half a wanna house ain’t in order! To his family and friend my sincerest condolences!!

2. Landa Bernard
    Landa Bernard May 19, 2015 at 2:06 am

Something about this have me but only God knows she is taking this too easily something is not adding up sorry to say!!!

3. Danielle Reid-Melillo
    Danielle Reid-Melillo May 19, 2015 at 2:14 am

We need to make sure this boy wasn’t murdered

4. Miriam StJohn
    Miriam StJohn May 19, 2015 at 2:49 am

Investigation and autopsy. That’s good. That should help satisfy curiosity.

5. E.P. Boyce May 19, 2015 at 6:16 am

I am not taking sides but i seems to me this woman has been charged , tried convicted, and sentenced in the press and on Social Media. it would be good to let the Police do a complete unbiased investigation before this judgement can be made.

6. christopher alleyne May 19, 2015 at 6:20 am

Some say Karma is a ..itch . But I don’t believe all that hogwash . What I do know that in the scheme of things sometimes the innocent gets hurt to appease the injustice of others . Some months ago some guys from Checker Hall St Lucy came down to the Nelson Street area and senselessly murdered a young friend of mine . Now a pall has been cast over the Checker Hall Area just as it was over the Nelson Street area . Both of the deceased were young people in their prime yet to reach their full potential .

It goes to show that your actions should always be responsible because we are our brother’s keeper and the Lord moves in mysterious ways his wonders to perform . It is he who made us and not we ourselves . Live up Brothers and Sisters .

• Krystal McCarthy May 20, 2015 at 1:17 am

April was a year Charly gone brother man.. N d culprit get bail smh.. Continue to r.i.p mi friend… Still missing him

7. ricardo May 19, 2015 at 7:12 am

Yes he always was hungry and left out the house at times

8. Harry Turnover May 19, 2015 at 7:14 am

Yes,you may have bought groceries every week,and food was always in the house..BUT…WERE YOU GIVING ANY TO SHAMAR OR were YOU ONLY giving him a “CAT FOOD ” portion ??…YOU think people foolish??.

A person don’t take ones’ life after only one incident,it has to be months/years of abuse.

….and what company was the boy keeping at 12 years old that you were so concerned about ??? …NAME THEM !!

The BOY was joyfull and playfull with his LITTLE friends but on returning home it appeared to be HELL,and THE reason you can’t sleep at night is because the Almighty is angry at you …

• Krystal McCarthy May 20, 2015 at 1:20 am

No food is better than a Lil to dirty up ur mouth when hungry.. That Lil bit is pure torture… But I wasn’t there so I’llwait to see wwhat the autopsy says…

9. Harry Turnover May 19, 2015 at 7:25 am

Why were you so CALM and COLLECTIVE…. up to NOW,when you saw him hanging from a rope ??

Why were you standing in the road ,arms folded looking up and down and cool as a cucumber when you saw him hanging from the rope instead of being HYSTERICAL,and running up and down ?? as someone who LOVED their child would have done ?

You think people FOOLISH ?? you don’t know that the Government should call in the FBI and Scotland yard to find out what REALLY happened to your LOVED one.

• ken May 20, 2015 at 7:49 pm

Agreed. A caring parent would have cut that child down and try some type of first aid, especially being a security officer and should have some exposure to first aid. She kept him there to show all and sundry that he was hanging, maybe to protect a story. Any real mother would have been bawling and frantic and gripping that child’s body in her arms. Why is AC Security employing people as security agents and not train them? I would hate to believe that she has some knowledge of first aid and stand there and did nothing. It sounds more like she care about her reputation than her unfortunate little boy. Suicide? Huh!!!

10. nanci May 19, 2015 at 2:47 pm

they should question the boyfriend, but something is fishy about this story, his little friends cant be all that bad, and if he was doing good with his school work, why was she chastising him about, something she is hiding. Sadly she may not be charged because the police will always believe the adult. Maybe shamar death is a stepping stone for all the other parents to look after their kids with care, she dont understand mothers will hurt, shamar is not my child,but to see him on a photo and dead, it hurts, it hurts bad. I admire kids on mornings going to school is their nice fresh clothes, I hope the government help out the kids man, open an agency where kids can come and report abuse or neglect. Keep the child in the agency until the investigation is complete, and invite the child back if the abuse continue or if their are scared of mother, family or family member, thats what child month should be about, its time to stop talking and do something, create some action plans. I believe the neighbors, they wont lay accusation like that for no reason.

11. ken May 20, 2015 at 7:35 pm

I am very confused about this woman’s statements. All she kept saying about her son is that he was playful in the face of him being a good student and that she kept talking to him about his playfulness, but what 12 year old boy isn’t. How is it that a playful little boy who like running ’bout could think of suicide? As a matter of fact what child thinks of suicide instead of running away to escape their troubles. “There is a fox in the henhouse”, something smells very fishy here and I hope right wins in this situation. A thousand frenchmen or neighbours can’t be wrong.

12. Dijhani May 20, 2015 at 9:36 pm

I am sorry, but i am not convinced by the testimony of this woman. I dont think that the neighbours got together and said….”let us fabricate stories about this family and stain a good woman’s character”. These people would have interacted with the child and would have observed certain patterns of behavior. They live around her and they would have heard the numerous disputes within the home. I am not suggesting that she be executed solely on the accounts of her neighbours… but the disruption of the boy’s autopsy suggests to me that something is amiss. Time will tell.