October 22, 2016 - Intrigue among Barbados Pride With the start of the 2016-17 West ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Water hope Relief could soon be on the way for ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Priest supports ban on religious teaching in schools An outspoken Anglican cleric is sup ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Child’s mental plight Children as young as ten years old ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Bitter infighting mars BLP nominations A political firestorm appears to be ... +++ October 22, 2016 - ‘Illegal’ levy Government’s newly-introduced two ... +++

St Lucy district shattered by news of apparent suicide

Twelve-year-old Shamar Weekes had big dreams of becoming a lawyer someday.

However, following his untimely passing last evening, he will never have the opportunity to represent anyone, much less himself in court.

The lifeless body of 12-year-old Shamar Weekes was removed from his home late last night.

Ironically, many residents in Shamar’s sleepy rural district, known as Fryers Well, Checker Hall, St Lucy, believe that his death could have been avoided, even though most of them never felt he was capable of taking his own life.

Last night, as his lifeless body was being taken down by police from the roof of a galvanized structure in the backyard of his home, the grim reality of his death suddenly hit home.

Aunty Cordelle, as Shamar used to refer to the woman, who lives up the hill, was simply inconsolable.

Shamar's aunt was inconsolable at the scene.

Shamar’s aunt was inconsolable at the scene.

“Oh Lord! It hurts, it hurts, it hurts . . . . If I knew that little boy would do that, I would keep him down by me. Oh dear,” Cordelle Greaves, who though not a blood relative, said she felt as if she had lost a son of her own.

“I am going to miss Shamar. He will not call me anymore auntie . . . my boy Shamar gone. I can’t sleep, I can’t sleep at all,” she told Barbados TODAY, immediately after receiving news of his death while at church last night.

As the boy’s mom spoke privately to detectives behind closed doors, loud murmurs could be heard on the outside about what took place on a daily basis within the four walls of his home, which is located at the back of a two-storey apartment complex.

Most were of the view that Shamar was mistreated, and that he was a victim of physical and other abuse. Moreover, it was widely felt in the neighbourhood that the first-form student often went unfed, and was in dire need of help.

This chorus grew louder today as a team from Barbados TODAY visited the area for a second time in the aftermath of his death but mother Julieanne Weekes was dismissive of all the talk surrounding her son’s passing.

When our team visited her home this morning, she bluntly refused our request for a face-to-face interview.

The mother of the deceased boy, however, complained to us that she had been bombarded with calls all day, when all she wanted to do was to lie down and get some sleep.

“People could say all the negative things they want to say. I don’t care,” she said, as she spoke to Barbados TODAY from behind her door.

She further insisted in the wake of her son’s death, that “I know the story, people don’t know the story”. As the team was leaving, a police vehicle was pulling in but the reception they got was no different to that given to members of the media.

The family’s former landlord Valarie Husbands received the “heartbreaking” news all the way in the United States.

“My mum called me and told me that my little boy Shamar died . . . and it made me feel very bad,” she said in a telephone interview with Barbados TODAY.

Based on what she witnessed while the family rented her Ellis Road, Checker Hall, St Lucy apartment, she was led to appeal to Shamar’s mother, “let me keep the little boy?”

“I told Julieanne to give me the boy and let me keep the boy for her, and she got mad with me and people told her don’t give me the boy . . . and the little boy tell me, ‘Valarie, take me’.” That request was made four years ago when Shamar was a student of the Half Moon Fort Primary.

Shortly after the family moved and she lost touch with the “nice little boy”.

“I want to know why a 12-year-old boy could hang himself like that in a yard. I liked the little boy a lot, if Julieanne had given me the child, probably the little boy would be living today. It makes me feel real bad because for the whole day I didn’t even go anywhere. Every minute he keeps coming into my memory and I say, ‘Lord, Julieanne could have given me this little boy’,” she lamented.

On the day of his death, Shamar stopped by Maria Leacock’s house after school, as was customary, to say hello to “Aunty Maria” before heading over to her Uncle John, who lives nearby, to ask him for money to buy something to eat.

She said the elderly man informed the child that he had neither money nor gas to cook a meal.

It was then that Shamar left for Leacock’s mother’s home.

Shamar was last seen alive at 7 p.m. hanging out with a friend in Sutherland Hill.

Sitting outside on a bench that evening, Leacock, who lives just behind Shamar’s home, said she overheard a loud argument at his home.

“After that, my son come and tell me that the little boy just dead. I say: ‘how you mean the little boy just dead and he just pass here?’” she said.

Today, residents also apportioned blame on the authorities, including members of the Child Care Board and police, who they said should have been aware of the boy’s circumstances, but never came to his rescue.

However, Shamar’s closest friends in the area Keshawn Griffith, Rashaad Husbands and Azikiwe Pierre, with whom he used to roam the district, were too distraught to attribute blame. Instead they recalled the good times when their now deceased friend had taught them how to make and fly kites.

Shamar’s friends (from left) Keshawn Griffith, Rashaad Husbands and Azikiwe Pierre.

“He say that he want to be a lawyer and then I said that I want to be a doctor,” little Azikiwe declared.

Also struggling to come to grips with his death was teenage friend Shakitta Husbands, who said Shamar was like her little brother.

“You don’t know how it hurting me. Shamar was always laughing. If he didn’t have, he would ask peacefully and there ain’t nothing wrong with asking because everybody don’t always got. And even though his living conditions appeared to be quite difficult, he was extremely courteous, well behaved and respectful.”

Husbands also described him as “good looking”, while noting that he loved to joke around.

She said he also took care of his seven-year-old brother, before and after school.

Residents of Checker Hall, St Lucy have been devastated by news of Shamar’s death.

Elderly resident Anita James also spoke glowingly of the child she took to a Mother’s Day picnic at Silver Sands, Christ Church just last Sunday.

“Afterwards he came to me and told me, ‘Miss James, I thank you very much for what you have done for me today’,” she said, while wiping back tears.

“And when we came home, he came and asked me if I brought back anything to eat and I give him sandwiches and cake,” added James.

She explained that she first reached out to offer help to Shamar after she saw him picking green lemons from a tree in front of her house and eating them.

“I wanted to know why he eating these green lemons. . .,” James said.

A woman, who lives in the same apartment complex as Shamar’s family, admitted that she did not speak to the boy’s mother, but reported that she often heard screams coming from the neighbouring apartment.

When Barbados TODAY visited Coleridge & Parry the atmosphere was equally as sombre as that in Checker Hall. School authorities were not prepared to issue a statement on the tragedy but the gloom was showing on the faces of teachers and students who were subsequently offered counselling.

225 Responses to Heartbroken!

1. Anitra Shorts Craig
    Anitra Shorts Craig May 16, 2015 at 3:30 am

sad 2 lose bury ur child i no wanna imagine

2. Jean Rycroft
    Jean Rycroft May 16, 2015 at 3:46 am

So sad my heart goes out to that family.

3. Charlie Terrico Black
    Charlie Terrico Black May 16, 2015 at 3:58 am

After all the posts of how ignorant it is to post the earlier video,showing the raw pain .. you still post these people pain.. how dare you! You should be ashamed each and everyone of you!

• Marsha Peppa Fly Hinds-Layne
      Marsha Peppa Fly Hinds-Layne May 16, 2015 at 6:43 am

this is what journalists do…add context to stories…you mean after all this you not calling for his mother to be arrested??? She wants to sleep…n ain care wha ppl saying….you ok with that??

• Deals On Wheels
      Deals On Wheels May 16, 2015 at 7:55 am

Both of u have good points

• Wade Gibbons
      Wade Gibbons May 16, 2015 at 8:00 am

Peppa, my father used to always tell me never get into an argument, even a discussion, with an idiot, because “no brain; warped reasoning.” Charlie Terrico and those who want to hide, and hide from the facts, obviously have empty craniums.

• Marsha Peppa Fly Hinds-Layne
      Marsha Peppa Fly Hinds-Layne May 16, 2015 at 8:30 am

sigh….just deep….confused…..sighhhhhhhhhh….

4. Lise Hansen
    Lise Hansen May 16, 2015 at 4:05 am

how terribly sad …… May his ( too young ) soul rest in eternal peace ……

5. Roberta Ford
    Roberta Ford May 16, 2015 at 4:06 am

Rip x

6. Zeke Fahrid
    Zeke Fahrid May 16, 2015 at 4:28 am

Maybe my interpretation is incorrect but this mother just seems to be unphased. Her words and attitude comes over as being rather nonchalant. No one knows the story only she knows the story.. Well exactly what is the story Julieann?.. Tell us please!!.. You don’t care but we do!!..What parent can ‘sleep’ under such circumstances?.. And to publicly declare that you ‘don’t care’ about what is being said?!!…. 12 yrs old is a baby!!!.. Most of the signs were there but i guess enough wasn’t done. It also seems to me that unless a children are living under deplorable housing conditions that authorities seem hesitant to rush to their aid. In this young lad’s mind he already felt defeated. He saw death as his only rescue.

• Merissa Bryce
      Merissa Bryce May 16, 2015 at 5:59 am

I would tend to agree, but sometimes in the face of tragedy, people try to appear calm, composed and stoic, even if they’re really hurting on the inside.

I personally am not sure about this one though.

• Tricia Sweets
      Tricia Sweets May 16, 2015 at 6:06 am

Agree with u sir

• Jan Eversley-Straughn
      Jan Eversley-Straughn May 16, 2015 at 7:32 am

I totally agree with u on this one she didn’t care wen he was alive she dont care now he dead it should b her instead of that poor child she is a wicked mother and I hv no regrets for saying that her attitude alone pissed me off

• Deals On Wheels
      Deals On Wheels May 16, 2015 at 7:52 am

When she said only she know the story I get vex…then when I read the part about her wanting sleep..I nearly pelt way the phone!!! How a MOTHER could SLEEP on losing such a young kid?? And under these circumstances????

• Maria Leclair
      Maria Leclair May 16, 2015 at 9:01 am

It appears as though many people knew what a hard life he was experiencing yet they all chose to do nothing, say nothing when the child was alive. They all waited until he had passed to come forward to tell of his pain and suffering. Why did people feel so comfortable speaking out after his death but not when he was alive? The mother’s attitude is indeed questionably as well.

• Chennel Prescod
      Chennel Prescod May 16, 2015 at 9:21 am

But Maria Leclair what can anyone do? Children suffer everyday, I am not saying it is right but exactly what can you do if u are living in a neighborhood where there’s a child suffering. Will you take in that child? Feed him or her everyday? The most you can do is give them something to eat every now and then. What exactly can the neighbors do? Take him from his mother? I am very sad about the situation but there wasnt much the neighbors could’ve done. Maybe Yes inform Child Care Board and the Police but what else could’ve anyone else do?

• Monique Maynard
      Monique Maynard May 16, 2015 at 9:36 am

Yes inform the Child Care Board and the Police, that would have been a start, instead of doing nothing but engage in a debate about the mental state of the mother after the fact.

• Tammy Akelia Taitt
      Tammy Akelia Taitt May 16, 2015 at 10:30 am

To be fair the land lady wanted the boy, but the mother refused. She should have fought harder on guess. But I agree, someone should have informed CCB if they knew how the family was struggling.

• Trina Lowe
      Trina Lowe May 16, 2015 at 10:57 am

Exactly, Zeke Fahrid. Only God knows if he did it to himself or if someone else in the immediate environment did b/c he became too much of a responsibility. He was a boy who tend to ask. 🙁

7. Whitney Reid
    Whitney Reid May 16, 2015 at 4:37 am

I know your job is to report stories or in other words gossip but you reporters are heartless this only happened last night and look what you guys are posting. The wound is still fresh of the family’s pain and here you go writing about this. If you as a reporter was in this mothers position I’m sure you wouldn’t want to be seeing this or hearing about it. Also those people in the neighborhood should be shame, since you know so much of the little boy’s problem what is so hard to call him for a cook meal every evening from school or when he’s going to school make him a little sandwich n offer him some tea or change to buy a drink. Yet you could be shouting out the mother’s problem to the media. Just sickening. Also for your information a lot of kids are hungry in Barbados so instead of downgrading start to uplift, create programs that could help kids like this little boy to avoid anything like this in the future and pay more attention to kids. It’s time for more action and less talk which is something bajans are quite found of.

• Patrice Thorne
      Patrice Thorne May 16, 2015 at 6:12 am

Well said Whitney

• Cassandra Gittens
      Cassandra Gittens May 16, 2015 at 6:13 am

But now the authorities know and now she will get help because there is another child living in the house

• sunshinecanada May 16, 2015 at 11:45 am

the only help she needs, is lockup, it’s very saddening.

• D
      D'broh Ward May 16, 2015 at 6:21 am

My thoughts exactly. Who are these people to tell the mother’s story?! Stupse! The media is heartless!

• sunshinecanada May 16, 2015 at 12:00 pm

you’ r the Stupse stupid one, what garbage u r talking, that’s the media’s job, did u read the story?

• Gina-Ann Trotman
      Gina-Ann Trotman May 16, 2015 at 6:21 am

From the time I saw that video with the Aunt I went like “these people for real” that should never be made available for people to watch over and over again….mess

• Gina-Ann Trotman
      Gina-Ann Trotman May 16, 2015 at 6:22 am

And I strongly agree with you Whitney

• Marsha Peppa Fly Hinds-Layne
      Marsha Peppa Fly Hinds-Layne May 16, 2015 at 6:34 am

I fail to see why this story couls not be published….What exactly we blaming the reporters for?????You mean we failed to soeak uo in his life we must dishonour his memory by silence too?? And for what??? to shield his mother???last year my son burst his toe playing and I ran to my neigbour’s house about to give up the ghost….I can bandage and attend your child….but from the time it’s my own child I am in a shamble…..and her son commits suicide ans shevwants to sleep????and we should give her space??? Those police should be going back to arrest her…..damn Child Care Board investigating but the 7 year oldvis still in her custody….listen…Bajans too full of it….I can’t….

• Whitney Reid
      Whitney Reid May 16, 2015 at 6:48 am

Thank you so much was looking for negative comments but at least you guys understand

• Allyson Benn
      Allyson Benn May 16, 2015 at 6:52 am

I applaud you for actually realizing what going on.

• Mellisa Daniel
      Mellisa Daniel May 16, 2015 at 6:56 am

I very much agree with u. And surprisingly they all have something to say now. But at the same time two wrongs certainly doesn’t make one right. Something must have really gone wrong why the child committed such a terrifying a act. I cannot say that I am in favor of the parents or parent. However the media have all right to do a proper investigation in the clause. And if what the media relates to its truth then I believe that its a lesson well learnt to other families who mistreated children. This isn’t the first time a child rebel viciously. Sometimes it even happens where a child takes out his or her frustration on the entire family. Just the other day I reading a article about a ten years boy who butcher both his his parents and younger siblings due maltreatment. Lets not assume what has gone but reflect on how to be better parent to all children.

• Allyson Benn
      Allyson Benn May 16, 2015 at 6:57 am

Being hungry drove him to suicide?

Lemme think… We should have piles of adolescent corpses to dispose under identical circumstances.

Ppl clinging to that because it was planted without so much effort add to veil the attempt to paint the picture of desolation.

These ppl so eager to talk to the newspaper, yet not one had come forward and said, “and we confronted her, and contacted de ppl from the place that does deal with children or de police”

And the sheep swallowing it whole and fast.

If his mother is guilty, so are they!

• Whitney Reid
      Whitney Reid May 16, 2015 at 6:58 am

Very true Melissa also some things that were said should not have been put into this article

• Whitney Reid
      Whitney Reid May 16, 2015 at 6:59 am

I agree with you Allyson Benn

• Greitcha Smith
      Greitcha Smith May 16, 2015 at 7:03 am

Damn vultures!

• Janelle Andrew
      Janelle Andrew May 16, 2015 at 7:16 am

Bajan always want to keep problems hush hush and look what happen the child “killed him self” exactly when is the proper time to speak out about abuse and let it be know there is a problem which requires urgent attention. This is a sad situation which could have been avoided if only the story was told. It’s time the story be out there in public especially knowing there is another young child involved. So u nice concerned citizens above who fell they should bash the press, think about wht you’re asking. Should we sit back and keep the truth hush hush for another child to take his own life??????????????????????????????

• Janelle Andrew
      Janelle Andrew May 16, 2015 at 7:19 am

Stupse I guess all of u all home in comfortable lives living a frigging dream …. I going off of hear * pissed off

• Hightower Bajedude
      Hightower Bajedude May 16, 2015 at 7:20 am

I totally agree with you! We bajans love to talk bout other people issues and does nothing to help

• Whitney Reid
      Whitney Reid May 16, 2015 at 7:22 am

Janelle Andrew the fact that the story is still so young it’s what I’m speaking about, okay so it’s out there and what exactly is everyone else going to do, only talk about it and bash people. As a mother if something happened to your child u wouldn’t want to read in a paper about any of this, rather true or false and like the rest of times this would be talked about now and forgotten later.

• Allyson Benn
      Allyson Benn May 16, 2015 at 7:23 am

Be pissed off. That’s your right.

But be pissed off with the ppl who knew what was going on *according to them* but said nothing.

Or yourself for allowing the media to think for you. I truly do not care since it won’t bring back a child.

• Sugalips Kels
      Sugalips Kels May 16, 2015 at 7:36 am

If a man was killed it would have been reported the same way as this is being done .who is to say that the public that reporting never spoke to her are the authorities about the situation .He was given meals from some of the people in the district he was even taken to a picnic by one so I really don’t understand why people so upset at the media doing there job

• Whitney Reid
      Whitney Reid May 16, 2015 at 7:39 am

Put yourself in the persons position, that’s all

• Rinet Briggs
      Rinet Briggs May 16, 2015 at 8:08 am

So weird, I juuust said much the same thing. Most of this story, as it is written, is just glorified gossip. Little facts, too much hearsay. Sorry to say, but some of these same people could have ALSO contributed to his demise. Many children who come from homes, that have no guidance or care, are abused by others, who take advantage of them. Yes, I gather the whole “,it takes a village to raise a child ” mentality, and the practice of going at numerous aunties and uncles houses…but, too many times, pedophiles live in villages. Sincerely hope the authorities get to the bottom of this tragedy.

• Whitney Reid
      Whitney Reid May 16, 2015 at 8:10 am

Thank you Rinet Briggs everyone isn’t seeing it

• Natasha Grant
      Natasha Grant May 16, 2015 at 8:27 am

If this were different circumstances I would agree with you but knowing the mother drove her child that she was suppose to love and protect to do this I’m glad they wrote the article. However reporters aren’t suppose to feel sorry for a soul, especially not for mothers like her. It’s a job not a hobby and if you or anyone else doesn’t like then don’t read it. Do you go on CNN’s or Fox’s page and tell them how to report their news and they report the news with the body laying on the sidewalk.

• Whitney Reid
      Whitney Reid May 16, 2015 at 8:31 am

Do I live in America? No I live in Barbados

8. Danika Brown
    Danika Brown May 16, 2015 at 4:41 am

Sleep tight Shamar heart breaking ❤️

9. Cheryl A Rollins
    Cheryl A Rollins May 16, 2015 at 4:45 am

10. Anonymous May 16, 2015 at 4:45 am

This is so so very sad to hear. May his soul rest in peace.

11. Shawndelle Pauline Greenidge
    Shawndelle Pauline Greenidge May 16, 2015 at 4:58 am

how could she want to go and sleep after her son hang himself I couldn’t if any of my sons did it there wud have to put me in de metal cause i couldn’t cope after that i wud forget i got other children.

• Angus B Post
      Angus B Post May 16, 2015 at 6:35 am

Shock is a funny thing

• sunshinecanada May 16, 2015 at 11:37 am

Agreeds with you, Pauline

12. Margaret Morton
    Margaret Morton May 16, 2015 at 5:00 am

So sad that he could think of no other avenue x

13. Beverley Yearwood
    Beverley Yearwood May 16, 2015 at 5:00 am

I have 2 points I would like to touch base with her. Number 1 why are people blaming the government and other people in office this has nothing to do with them. From reading post and learning about what other people are saying people thought that this little boy was being mis treated why did these people not bring it to the attention of the authorities. He looked like he was not being fed why was this not bought to the attention of the authorities. It is easy to pass blame when something like this happen but at the end of the day people saw signs and heard noises coming from the house these people should have said something about it. My next point – people saying the press have no respect. This is the job of the press to publish news whether good or bad that is their job. There is never a right time to publish things like this. The press are not doing this to hurt or disrespect anyone far from it

• Marsha Peppa Fly Hinds-Layne
      Marsha Peppa Fly Hinds-Layne May 16, 2015 at 6:36 am

It was not brought to the attention of the Child Care Board simply because they are known for doing absolutely nothing… is that plain… is that simple.

• Allyson Benn
      Allyson Benn May 16, 2015 at 7:08 am

They are known for doing nothing???

Really??? Lmao.

• Vashti Braithwaite
      Vashti Braithwaite May 16, 2015 at 7:10 am

Well said!!!!!! The child care is an extremely inept agency.

• Jan Eversley-Straughn
      Jan Eversley-Straughn May 16, 2015 at 7:38 am

I agree about the press part becoz people always bashing d press for doing their job how d ass wanna would no wat is goin on if d press dont publish nuttin some dese people does mek me sick

• Jody Chilton
      Jody Chilton May 16, 2015 at 7:51 am

In the end, it is the parents’ responsibilty to raise their child. No one elses. Quit looking for blame elsewhere.

• Lola De Palma
      Lola De Palma May 16, 2015 at 8:21 am

A child is dead. Nothing can be done to bring him back. But do something now to save his brother.

• Psi Lara
      Psi Lara May 16, 2015 at 9:34 am

I agree there with the assessment on the child care board. I know of a situation close to me where a matter was reported and it took them several weeks to respond. And when they did respond it came at an inopportune time. They can not be counted on to provide help when it matters.

• Beverley Yearwood
      Beverley Yearwood May 16, 2015 at 9:43 am

Ok the Child Care Board or whatever it is called in Barbados would not do nothing, this would be the time to involve the press to shame and high light what is going on and that this organisation is not doing nothing. What happen to the Parliamentary Representative for the area could this person not have got involved. Bajans need to stop blaming other people and get up and fight for what is right and stop relying on other people to do it for them. The child don’t belong to the government

• Cumberbatch Sophia
      Cumberbatch Sophia May 16, 2015 at 10:00 am

I have to agree I know of an issue where a complaint was made about a child a letter was sent to the parent the parent didnt go and that was the end of the matter. When the father questioned what would be done he was told if they sent a letter and she didn’t turn up they can’t make her.

• Beverley Yearwood
      Beverley Yearwood May 16, 2015 at 10:01 am

Marsha Peppa Fly Hinds-Layne you say they are known for doing nothing. Sometimes in life you have to stand up and be counted. How do you think the government in other countries do what they are supposed to be doing. They strike, send petitions to Government, hold marches that sort of thing then the government will see you mean business. When these organisations doing these things to people and nobody say nothing that’s why they continue because they know Bajans will put up with it and say nothing. You all work and pay your taxes that gives you the right and freedom of speech.

• Beverley Yearwood
      Beverley Yearwood May 16, 2015 at 10:08 am

Exactly, in a case like that you can’t blame the Child Care Board they did their job by sending a letter and the parent never go. That is probably the case all the time that the parents can’t be bothered to go. But people not knowing any different are blaming the Child Care Board.

• Marsha Peppa Fly Hinds-Layne
      Marsha Peppa Fly Hinds-Layne May 16, 2015 at 11:15 am

Beverley… delinquent parents get to choose to go???? note delinquent parents????? sorry…I’m not persuaded the CCB is off the hook!!..

• Beverley Yearwood
      Beverley Yearwood May 16, 2015 at 11:33 am

Well this is something I can not wait to see the outcome of. I am so disgusted after reading an article published today in the bajan paper that the mother is refusing to speak to ANYONE. Well I am sorry I would have news for her. She has questions to answer as to what happened to that child

14. Ryan Marshall
    Ryan Marshall May 16, 2015 at 5:08 am

Whitney Reid girl u are so right I could not agree with u more all of them is to blame also cause the knew the situation and just like to sit back and gossip

• Cumberbatch Sophia
      Cumberbatch Sophia May 16, 2015 at 10:10 am

Besides complaining to the CCB what were they supposed to do he received food from his 16 year old friend and I’m sud others gave him money.The only person who could remove him is the CCB the former land lord ask her to give her the boy and she didn’t.

15. Janlyn Skeete
    Janlyn Skeete May 16, 2015 at 5:13 am

May his young soul rest in peace and rise in Glory.

16. Sonia Sonee Walker
    Sonia Sonee Walker May 16, 2015 at 5:21 am

Speculation rife. How do any of us know if circumstances were reported or not? Something obviously wasn’t right in that home judging from the comments of neighbours. And taking the attitude of his mother into consideration as well, I think more went on. That’s my opinion, I wasn’t there and don’t know the story. But I do know that a 12 yr old child is dead and he shouldn’t be. A baby has taken his own life. RIP little one.

17. Get Even
    Get Even May 16, 2015 at 5:25 am

Tears came to my eyes just reading that story…may your young soul rest in peace

18. Crescentia Ismael
    Crescentia Ismael May 16, 2015 at 5:33 am

Sad but let me correct u all no one is too small or too young to take their life when stress or problems in their lives the devil want souls as as god does is up to those who let the devil through .its sad hearing bout his death rip kid am just puzzled what would drive this boy to kill himself god alone nos am not surprised in have seen cases worth .

• Marsha Peppa Fly Hinds-Layne
      Marsha Peppa Fly Hinds-Layne May 16, 2015 at 6:42 am

the devil wants souls??? what does that have to do with anything?? In your nirvana people covered ‘under the blood’ are protected from unhappiness ans suicide????really??

• Crescentia Ismael
      Crescentia Ismael May 16, 2015 at 6:56 am

Lol not all weakness thats what the devils love and uses

• Marsha Peppa Fly Hinds-Layne
      Marsha Peppa Fly Hinds-Layne May 16, 2015 at 7:21 am

steupppppppppppppppppppppppppppseeee…..why did your god give him a poor parent…not this crap on this thread this morning please…not this….

19. Gina Harewood
    Gina Harewood May 16, 2015 at 5:35 am

I live in the UK and this story has touched me. Last night i prayed for his family and friends RIP young man its a sad story it’s awful may he rest peacefully with Lord God the saviour. It’s just awful so sad xx I can’t find words of comfort it’s just awful. My friends daughter took her life no note nothing. For ever tormented as to why? My friend is a broken women it’s awful I can’t describe the sorrow when a person young or old takes there life the torment sadness for the love one’s left behind .greving its awful my prayers and thoughts go to his family and friends RIP x young man x

20. Crescentia Ismael
    Crescentia Ismael May 16, 2015 at 5:37 am

And some of us parents are too blame we never their for our kids when they truly need us most we too busy with work to busy making the money never be too busy take time sit talk with them kids needs that

• Jody Chilton
      Jody Chilton May 16, 2015 at 7:52 am

Correct, but birth control can cure all problems in the first place.

21. Heidi Alleyne
    Heidi Alleyne May 16, 2015 at 5:49 am

Now that everything is in the open, hopefully the authorities do a thorough investigation and do the necessary so the 7 yr old brother isn’t another victim!

• Marsha Peppa Fly Hinds-Layne
      Marsha Peppa Fly Hinds-Layne May 16, 2015 at 6:39 am

Theh doing the investigation but the 7 year old brother still with the mother….are we really serious???by next week all will go back to ‘normal’ child may not even be offered long term counselling to deal with his brother’s death..

22. Kearn Williams
    Kearn Williams May 16, 2015 at 5:55 am

While dealing with my own bereavement at this time, this adds insult to injury. Death of two young persons is double the pain. Rest in Peace lil brother, Rest in Peace Shamar. Gone much muh too soon

23. Tammy Akelia Taitt
    Tammy Akelia Taitt May 16, 2015 at 5:58 am

From all the interviews of the residence and the attitude from the mother, she is looking more and more guilty. Honestly I would have expected her to have the same attitude as the “Aunty” crying and carrying on in the streets. This is looking more like abuse and a poor soul who didn’t have the strength anymore and had given up. I hope this is investigated and the mother is looked at closely. Hopefully they save the younger brother too, before he ends up in the same dire situation.

24. Marva Knight-Miller
    Marva Knight-Miller May 16, 2015 at 6:05 am

I am crying for that for that poor child.

25. Analicia Jade
    Analicia Jade May 16, 2015 at 6:10 am

Just leave them alone let them grieve how they c fit how dare u judge a person’s ability to grieve or how it should look stupseee gtfoh always gotta fucking opinion

26. Cassandra Gittens
    Cassandra Gittens May 16, 2015 at 6:14 am

That is very true they should have told some one my poor heart bleeds for that baby, the tears are just rolling down

27. Pee Parris
    Pee Parris May 16, 2015 at 6:15 am

All I can is say is rest in peace darling, sorry we never met ,someone could have made a difference in your life, it could have been me, sorry to see your cries went unheard!

28. Sharon king May 16, 2015 at 6:17 am

Shamar gone RIP but I hope the authorities seriously investigate what led to his death since he also have a younger brother sixteen French men can’t be wrong too many people voicing the same story about Shamar being abused. What is interesting is how come nothing was done since it was public knowledge about his living conditions.

29. Lady-Stylez Pilgrim
    Lady-Stylez Pilgrim May 16, 2015 at 6:18 am

If this situation is true, what is the position of the younger brother? This confusing my brain especially the fact that the neighborhood knew the boy needed help…….

• Marsha Peppa Fly Hinds-Layne
      Marsha Peppa Fly Hinds-Layne May 16, 2015 at 6:47 am

but who would the neighbours have called?? even when a teacher comes across abuse there is no real agency that does the checks and follow ups….there are several other Shamars….

• Allyson Benn
      Allyson Benn May 16, 2015 at 7:06 am

Are you serious???

Lol. How wunna live in a country but don’t know anything about it I do not know.

• Lady-Stylez Pilgrim
      Lady-Stylez Pilgrim May 16, 2015 at 7:52 am

There are other organizations other than the Child Care Board that can assist .The CCB do drag their feet at times but I’m sure If someone had helped in the necessary way it wouldn’t have gone so far.

30. Mark Walkes May 16, 2015 at 6:20 am

This is so heart wrenching. 12 years old….for a mere baby to take such drastic action, his life must have been so miserable and hard. Someone needs to answer for his basic welfare neglect, particularly as it would appear he was known to social services.

31. Natasha Griffith
    Natasha Griffith May 16, 2015 at 6:22 am

This hurt me and made me cry no child should have to go through something like this,when you are not given a meal you cannot concentrate ,children need love and care that is all he wanted he found it in the person’s who offered ,he found it in his friends ,depression is no joke .This child needed help if only you could turn back the hands of time.Rest In Peace Shamar .

32. Shellyann Callender
    Shellyann Callender May 16, 2015 at 6:23 am

33. Keshia Haynes
    Keshia Haynes May 16, 2015 at 6:26 am

Omg, this brought tears to my eyes

34. Artneal Bear Abbey
    Artneal Bear Abbey May 16, 2015 at 6:33 am

@ Whitney Reid….I am sick and tired of hearing people like you on facebook bashing reporters when they are doing their jobs. Its like telling a doctor not to report on his patient. Alot of you facebook jackasses are still living in the past.

• Nadia Brathwaite
      Nadia Brathwaite May 16, 2015 at 7:28 am

I was saying the same thing obviously she and the other “supporters” of her comment doesn’t understand the job. I’m not a reporter but my understanding is to capture raw emotion …its sad but that is what makes news relevant

• Jan Eversley-Straughn
      Jan Eversley-Straughn May 16, 2015 at 7:42 am

Agree with u hun dem is a pack of stupid people’s

35. Catherine Forde
    Catherine Forde May 16, 2015 at 6:34 am

Praying for the family

36. Julie Leenders
    Julie Leenders May 16, 2015 at 6:37 am

Whatever happened I hope the authorities look into it ASAP , there is another 7 year old there as well, this is just so very sad, not even a teenager yet with a whole life ahead of him, they have not mentioned a father , where was he , could he not also have turned to him to maybe tell , he seemed to have a lot of other people that loved him and wanted to help, what a shame as its too late now … RIP sweetheart x

37. Candice Elenor
    Candice Elenor May 16, 2015 at 6:39 am

Words can help this one…this is a big lost

38. Allyson Benn
    Allyson Benn May 16, 2015 at 6:41 am

How is she supposed to react to please ppl who clearly just want to say she killed her child indirectly?

The woman is exhausted, the newspaper reporters are not personal acquaintances of hers. They’re intrusive and obnoxious and intentionally feeding the public the message that she doesn’t care.

Her neighborhood is full of a bunch of hypocritical f*ckers who just want to be the next one to get an interview to say “oh I knew she was killing him” NOW, which we don’t even know how true it is.

I don’t care what everybody is saying now, where the f*ck where they before?

• Allyson Benn
      Allyson Benn May 16, 2015 at 12:28 pm

Meanwhile… you’re only literate to the point of pronouncing syllables.

• Allyson Benn
      Allyson Benn May 16, 2015 at 3:57 pm

Yet here you are watching to see what I’m doing in Facebook…

Why you bothered tho?

39. Richard Springer
    Richard Springer May 16, 2015 at 6:49 am

So heartbreaking , may he R.I.P

40. Miranda Douglas
    Miranda Douglas May 16, 2015 at 6:52 am

this is so sad

41. Rodnee Clarke
    Rodnee Clarke May 16, 2015 at 6:54 am

wow this story bring tears to my eyesand i dont cry this sad and i so lost for words

42. J C May 16, 2015 at 6:55 am

I can’t believe shamar gone, his mother from Lowther’s Hill. I grow up with she all of us on the hill cry when we get. My sister is he god mother, my mother kept him as a baby while his mother work. My girls played with him and all of us are wrenched by this news. His father is from up here to what Hamilton has to say bout his son’s death? Shamar rest in peace, at least you’re not in anymore pain or hungry. We love you in Lowthers Hill

• lady j May 16, 2015 at 9:49 am

Wow..this hurt to the speachless

43. Ryvan Bigman
    Ryvan Bigman May 16, 2015 at 7:00 am

This is sad. I have a son that I raised alone, I don’t know how this woman feels, but I know it hurts. As I read this article, it bought tears to my eyes. This was a child crying out for help, food. Everyone who knew him knew of his issues at home or what they heard coming from the home while this child was alive could blame themselves as well. People could of help by feeding him, giving a little, if you see something say something. Now this beautiful child is gone, everyone want to point fingers on who to blame. It’s simple just look an the mirror. Where was the father? No one mentioned him, seem like the people of importance turned there back on this 12 year old. RIP

44. Javan Cook
    Javan Cook May 16, 2015 at 7:05 am

We live in a “hush hush” society and what is in the dark must come to light and a 12 yr old doesn’t just get up one day and decide to kill himself. Something happened that push him to the edge.

45. Tracyann Simone Mitchell
    Tracyann Simone Mitchell May 16, 2015 at 7:09 am

Uncontrollably tear .. I know hungry pain as a child but as a mother I rather dead under work just so my kids can have food to eat rip my child only god knows

46. Tracyann Simone Mitchell
    Tracyann Simone Mitchell May 16, 2015 at 7:11 am

Ur right

47. Wayne Dread
    Wayne Dread May 16, 2015 at 7:12 am

I agree that the press should report the news , also allow the public to voice comments, many of these comments here would’ve been censored before something drastic happens, when someone is missing, the public is asked for assistance, if and when they are found, there’s no explanation to the same public whose help was solicited, if a teen decided to spend sometime away from home ,and they knew that when they returned home there would be consequences,and public announcement,I am sure they will tell someone that they trust, than to raise an alarm and use up resources.

48. Rosemary Wall
    Rosemary Wall May 16, 2015 at 7:16 am

This tragedy has hit us all .. regardless of all the finger pointing and name callings…THIS right here should be a wake up call for ALL of us to seriously be our *Brothers/sisters keepers* Lend a hand when we can…BUT with respect not judgement. I pray for the family and his friends young and old May they find peace in their groups as they gather and remember him.

49. L. James May 16, 2015 at 7:17 am

Your son allegedly hanged himself an act which is most difficult to achieve by ones-self especially at such a young age. Yet while Barbados is thrown into shock and grief all you want to do is “sleep” and only you “know the full story and that “People could say all the negative things they want to say. I don’t care”. You don’t care but I do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now look I have given you the benefit of the doubt up till now but because of your seemingly nonchalant manner, I want you investigated!!!

Well tell us mother, tell us!!! How is it that almost every person interviewed from the community could testify that the boy was always hungry?? How is it that they could testigy hearing his screams coming from inside the house??? tell us , tell us!!!
    I want to be the first to call for a full investigation of you, mother, yes you!!!!

And, why has the Child Care Board not already removed the 7 year old from the house until a full investigation is done in this case. Just because he was found with a noose around his neck, the law must not immediately conclude it was suicide.

This child is not known to the law court for deviancy or any such ills. He was known to his community as fun loving and respectful. Yet after laughing and joking with friends the same evening , he went home and hanged himself!!!!! Yeh right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The child care board says he is not known to them either, yet an entire community knew his living situation was dire. Yeh right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

His primary school knew of his situation, yet there is no report that they intervened. Yeh right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    And is this boy’s sperm donor!!!!!!!! Come forth and be counted!

I am demanding answers!!!!

50. Carie Apple
    Carie Apple May 16, 2015 at 7:17 am

Reading this story brought tears to my eyes. This was a boy in crisis…a family in crisis….If what is printed is true people offered to foster this child. What was going on with his mom? It really hurts stop pointing fingers.The newspaper just reporting at least they are doing their job. A child is dead! I am a bajan yankee in the US. I sponsor a child in Africa. I am a mom ..I know the stresses but we can’t turn our backs on the poor and down trotten. I am not rich but I never pass a person in need . I truly wish there was sponsorship services for bajan children where one could donate. Some people might say NO but some will help. This is so sad.
    Community and society ie Child protective services etc is suppose to be a safety net for mistreated children. POINT BLANK! !

51. Janelle Andrew
    Janelle Andrew May 16, 2015 at 7:22 am

Bajan are something else “child killed himself” and some of you all still want to keep the story hush hush stupse

52. ricardo May 16, 2015 at 7:23 am

This is rediculous to many kids being abuse in barbados ,that child mother want dodds

53. Pamela Weekes
    Pamela Weekes May 16, 2015 at 7:24 am

Sad may he RIP

54. Vashti Braithwaite
    Vashti Braithwaite May 16, 2015 at 7:25 am

I praying that the CCB Officers take their role seriously now and remove that seven year old minor from the hell hole they call home.
    There are children on this island who face abject abuse daily and when you file a report with that office it takes weeks before they send someone to investigate, and that is deplorable! !!!!!!!!

55. Sheryl Smith
    Sheryl Smith May 16, 2015 at 7:32 am

R.I.P. little one….I wish more was done for you whilst living….Now I am not only blaming the mother I am blaming the village. ..You now find it convenient to talk now after the horse has left the stable….”It takes a village to raise a child”. We should be our brothers keepers. What was wrong with calling the Child Care Board, School, RBPF, Community Church etc. with all the information that is NOW raising its ugly head. ..You mean LIME, FLOW or DIGICEL don’t work in that area. The whole village is guilty…Maybe the reason for Shamar wanting to be a lawyer. I rest my case.

• MariaMaria Angel
      MariaMaria Angel May 16, 2015 at 8:15 am

HOW IS THE WHOLE VILLAGE GUILTY? People in that community tried to help that child. Maye not as many as could have, and maybe they didn’t give him exactly what he needed, but some tried. Tell me. Do you know of any child in your community who is suffering? Can you tell just by looking at one that a child is suicidal? NO, you can not. Have YOU been around your neighbourhood doing your best to raise its children? Struspe.

56. Marlon Hunte
    Marlon Hunte May 16, 2015 at 7:32 am

57. Sklar Smith
    Sklar Smith May 16, 2015 at 7:37 am

Do u listen to dis jackass for a mother she don’t care she just wants to sleep seriously?lady ur son jst died hw could u wnt to sleep smh dis child situation hd to be overwhelming to resort to suicide its bc of ur dnt care attitude dats y u missed d signs of depression I think d other son should be removed from her care since the mother hasn’t gt d ability to care for him cause he will be tramautized by wat occured and is on d same receiving end of abuse n neglect as his brother but bc he’s a bit younger he might be a lil bit more carfree.

58. Terri-Ann Martin
    Terri-Ann Martin May 16, 2015 at 7:37 am

59. Nutty Sundae
    Nutty Sundae May 16, 2015 at 7:38 am

Now that ppl Know and the authorities …what about d seven year old

60. Jan Eversley-Straughn
    Jan Eversley-Straughn May 16, 2015 at 7:41 am

As for d mudda it should b she not that poor child u mean he now kill heself n she talking bout she wan sleep stupesssssssssss he int mine I dont even no him and this tearing me apart

61. Bernice Jordan May 16, 2015 at 7:44 am

Shemar, you were a wonderful student. Very intelligent and analytical. It was a delight teaching you in Classes 1 and 2. I knew that you would have fulfilled your dream of becoming a lawyer if time had allowed. I really don’t have the words to express how I feel at this time. I saw you walking by the window to the sea last Wednesday evening and never imagined it would have been the last time I would have seen you alive. I commit you into the hands of God and may you find sweet rest in His presence. I will miss that beautiful smile.

62. Nicole AJ Hope-Wiltshire
    Nicole AJ Hope-Wiltshire May 16, 2015 at 7:45 am

I’ll say this I don’t always agree with the media, but when exactly are they suppose to report this? Next year when he has already turned to dust or when his little brother has also committed suicide. Sometimes where others don’t or can’t do, the media by keeping events in the news pulls the correct attention & possibly help for those in need. All the people saying it’s heartless to report it are any of you willing to step up or step in to help another kid that might be suffering. All the violence that’s happening should that not be reported to save the families from hearing that a loved one was killed or should it be reported so that we can recognize & do something about a problem. Let’s not loose site of the real issue with this foolery of focusing on what or what not the media should report, but a very sad story of a 12 year old boy that felt it was so bad or so depressed about his situation that he took his life. As a mother of a 12 year old, 16 year old & 8 month, they sick I can’t sleep. Something was definitely wrong. It is sad, it is hurtful & yes the videos & pictures we are seeing is an aunt who’s grieving, nothing abnormal about that. What’s abnormal is not seeing a mother grieving, a mother saying she just want to sleep & a mother saying she don’t care. A proper statement would have been “please allow us some privacy to grieve at this time”, but to each their own. I do pray that the attention the media has brought to this tragedy that someone would look into the welfare of the younger child. Shamar may your soul rest eternally & my condolences to the family

63. Paula Husbands-Haynes
    Paula Husbands-Haynes May 16, 2015 at 7:46 am

so sad rip little one

64. Heather Williams
    Heather Williams May 16, 2015 at 7:46 am

it takes a villlage to raise a child is a true true thing. where is his father ???We have become too selfish in this nation. The younger brother should be removed from this abusive home.

65. Markita Bancroft
    Markita Bancroft May 16, 2015 at 7:46 am

My condolences

66. Janelle Malcolm
    Janelle Malcolm May 16, 2015 at 7:47 am

As I read this article tears just come down my eyes smh. May he rest in peace

67. Nashauny Armstrong
    Nashauny Armstrong May 16, 2015 at 7:49 am

Saddest story I ever read, how can a mother do this to her kid allow him to roam a whole neighborhood seeking food and rescue. Well…well this is truly heartbreaking.#mothercriminal

• Ari Bianca
      Ari Bianca May 16, 2015 at 8:17 am

How can you be so judgmental in a situation where you don’t know all the facts???!!! How do you know this mother wasn’t going to bed hungry too??? Why aren’t you asking how can a communities fail a fame in this way? The school system???? It’s so easy to judge, but also ignorant to judge without the facts

68. Lana Richards May 16, 2015 at 7:49 am

I totally agree with Zeke. As I read the article, I felt the same way about the mother’s actions and what she said about Just wanting to sleep. I am aware that people moan differently, but she seen so nonchalant about her sons death. I also don’t understand why the authorities, welfare that is, didn’t step in and do something about the complaints they received. It breaks my heart for the little boy. I know most folks like to so call “mind their business”, but it’s time to go back to the days when it took a village to raise a child. Thank God for the folks that helped me as a child when I also had my struggles in life. I hope that this will be an eye opening for folks to do more when children complain. I know for sure that they are many Sharmars out there crying out for help. Most Barbadians are kind hearted people, and I just pray that this doesn’t happen to another child. I am truly sad that Sharmar couldn’t see that he could have overcome his obstacles. Look at the signs and listen people. RIP Shamar.

69. Cheryl Alleyne-Brooks
    Cheryl Alleyne-Brooks May 16, 2015 at 7:59 am

People people please stop bashing the media it is very sad but that don’t mean that the media don’t have to report. From what I read the media is reporting stories from people that voice their hurt their pain and their concerns nothing negative, all these people cannot be wrong. We all live in a neighborhood at some point of time where we all know some one was mistreated and like this we would talk among our selves and look out for that child or person but we never did anything else as far as reporting cause we were NAVIE.Now times are changing we are into social media where any and every thing is posted so the media is just doing their job we have to stop with the hush hush business, I am sure anyone reading this story is really really hurt and it had to be tough on the media too but that does not mean that they are insensitive. Ya all bajans always putting wunna foot in wunna mouth if the media don’t bring the story whe wunna get so much talk to talk and comment .Leave the media alone i back them 100%, and the next time wunna realize some thing ain’t right in wunna community call the same media to voice wunna concerns, stop being shameful about things ,we are all humans beings things will happen, not the media fault

70. Karen Layne
    Karen Layne May 16, 2015 at 8:00 am

Some of us are going to sit back and cast blame on this boy’s mother but every person he came into contact with on a daily basis has failed this child.

From the comments of his neghbours, it was known that this child was having problems at home. Why not take a united stand, and as a community, go to the the Child Care Board, the Police, PAREDOS, or some other organization that could intervene and offer assistance? Why not keep trying until the authorities decided to do something? What about his teachers, the guidance counselor at his school? Where is his father in all of this?

If the neighbours were aware of his situation, why should he have to beg? Why not come together and see what could have been done for him? Why not take turns maybe on a weekly or monthly basis and offer this child breakfast and dinner on evenings?

Gone or the days where we were our brother’s keeper. Gone or the days where a child comes to our home to play with our children and we ensure they all eat and not just ours. GONE OR THE DAYS WHERE WE GENERALLY CARED ABOUT ONE ANOTHER.

THIS IS AN IMMENSE TRAGEDY. One that I hope never happens again. We all failed this child, not just his parents who are supposed to look out for his well-being. Society failed this child. Let’s hope that this is a wake-up call and we don’t just sit in our glass houses and comment but we get up and do something. Just saying!

71. ronnie May 16, 2015 at 8:02 am

How comes a child was in all this pain and suffering and child care board did nothing but would step up to put a mother in court to prove her unfit that did every thing for her kids except give them a mind well I guess they pick and chooses there victims what do we realy have a chils care system for when a child that age can take his own life we have a lot to look into I just hope that the uounger child is help before he too ealks the same rode well eill the child care board look into this or will Miss ha____ and My D sit back play with they hair and nails pretty cars and decide let this one go……at the end of the day I would prefer that they do nothing cause every child they claim to help end up in the mental bajans it it time we look around us these people cares about the money not what is happening to our young kids so lets join hand and fight for the children of today on our own you dont have to be family lend a helping hand or ear this system is failing all of us

72. BajanHeat A. Hoyte
    BajanHeat A. Hoyte May 16, 2015 at 8:05 am

It’s hard in this place I wonder if all the ppl crying down this boy mother ever stop to think that she flat out couldn’t afford to feed her children no matter how hard she tried. So many people don’t have jobs, can’t find jobs, not getting unemployment, not getting back income tax money, can’t get help from welfare, etc.. Maybe this child’s mother works but only making what alot of establishments are unfortunately paying, $250 a week before NIS comes out. Good god the minimum wage in Barbados is $8 a hour and alot of disgusting employers paying people $6 and $7 dollars an hour. Tell me how anybody supposed to live off that type of money. When people go complain to labor department they do nothing so no one is held accountable even though it’s clear the business establishment is not complying with the law. Barbados have laws that mean nothing cause the government and courts don’t enforce them. And long gone are the days where the village helped raise its children. It’s easy to say “if the people from the village know he was hungry why they int feed him” here’s a though maybe they struggling to feed the people in they own dam house. When that poor woman says nobody knows the story she right like hell nobody really knows her struggle and nobody has the right to pass judgment on her. She just lost her child. Bajan’s always ready to wash wanna mouth cross people but never stop to think before wanna speak.

• MariaMaria Angel
      MariaMaria Angel May 16, 2015 at 8:12 am

From the interviews of some neighbours, it seems that some of them did try to help him. The woman he called “Aunty” looked out for him, and then there was the young lady in an interview yesterday who said that if he asked for anything, she would give him, because times are hard for everybody and nothing was wrong with asking, Also, if the ex-land lady is to be believed, then she too wanted to care for him. So while you are saying NOT to blame the mother, you are unfairly suggesting that the “neighbours” did not help. That is not true. Some tried.

73. Ari Bianca
    Ari Bianca May 16, 2015 at 8:09 am

So many people on this thread blaming this mom for his death. If any of the accusations are true, an entire community has failed this child! So if you’re going to assign blame all those that knew he often went hungry or was mistreated are just as guilty in his death.

74. Crystal Kellman
    Crystal Kellman May 16, 2015 at 8:11 am

Where is Dad ?

75. Sherlene Phillips
    Sherlene Phillips May 16, 2015 at 8:12 am

How do we actually know that it was suicide ??? Did he leave a note? Could there have been foul play????

76. Dawn Rollins May 16, 2015 at 8:12 am

And the plot thickens……
    We are yet to hear much more that is going on in this house.
    The boy’s mother is out to lunch & seem to have disconnected herself a long time ago.
    Look closer & you will find that the mother would have been also a victim of abuse herself.
    She knows no better.
    It is sad.
    The people in the neighborhood need to carry some blame too. They should have join together, continue to bombard the police & Child Care Board regarding this case.
    The vicious cycle must be broken.

77. Shakira Shemora
    Shakira Shemora May 16, 2015 at 8:14 am

How the hell she could sleep at a time like this

78. Nadean Alleyne May 16, 2015 at 8:14 am

If he suffered, he will no longer be in pain. It’s sad the way his life ended and no one but him really knows the truth and he died with it. Be it his mother or anyone else that gave him no other choice, they will be held accountable by their conscience some day. If not today, the day will come.

79. Argyle Catwell
    Argyle Catwell May 16, 2015 at 8:17 am

This is so sad!

80. steve May 16, 2015 at 8:18 am

I really don’t know what happen,we all have children as young as him,this lad had good ambitions to become some day a lawyer,this show me that he was intelligent and reading what his mates said about him makes me wonder,his mother needs QUESTIONING ???? could he have done this to his self,the law will investigate and fine the answers,his school and teachers should have seen or notice he strange behaviour,maybe didn’t want to get involve,but as professional people the system fail again to dig deep,now we all mourn this lad death which could have been avoided,the lady said he pick young limes to eat,gosh man the sign where all there to see,simple he wasn’t look after!
    May God rest his soul!

81. Alison White
    Alison White May 16, 2015 at 8:18 am

I just couldn’t hold back the tears… Sigh…. I remember coming up we were poor and many days I know my mother didn’t have it to give us so sometimes my sweet neighbour Patsy God rest her in her grave would make sure my brothers and I got something to eat until mummy reach home….. But beyond that my mother never once came home without something for us to eat…. I knew that when she hit that door something was there…. In our times welfare was $48 on a cheque and believe me when I say this…. My mom spent ever last cent on food for us and whatever treats we wanted…. The long and short of the story is that we were poor but we were happy… As I would tell anyone now… I don’t know if mummy beg…broke a job..prostituted… All I know is she did her job as a mom and made sure we never went to sleep hungry…. And today I could look back and still feel proud cause I know my mom was poor but she tried HARD…. Believe me hunger is one of the worst feelings.. But hunger and abuse at the same time….. That’s to much of a heavy burden for a child…. And what hurts me most is that he said ” Aunty take me” No child wants to be taken for their mom… NONE… Some children get physical abuse everyday but ask them if they wanted to leave there mother… That answer would be a fast NO…. That’s how I know that abuse and hunger combined was to much …but I leave you on this note…. If a child had come to me and told me to take him/her and I knew his/her situation believe me when I tell you this… I would stop at nothing to get that child the help it needs… But most people sit back help a little where possible and wait for The situation to work out itself… Most times it never does….But I still want to applauded the nice Aunty who made sure he ate whenever possibly. RIP son.

82. Ruth Charron-Parkinson
    Ruth Charron-Parkinson May 16, 2015 at 8:21 am

So very Sorry for their loss.

83. Sophia G May 16, 2015 at 8:26 am

His mother needs to be charged with murder. We need to get back to the old days and get involved, how can so many people know or have an idea that the child is suffering and the authorities were not alerted, I could not be hearing screams, arguments, seeing the child starving and not to anything about it. Please speak up before more lives are lost, no one has to know who you are, help protect the vulnerable.

84. bajan May 16, 2015 at 8:28 am

Whunnuh wait till the boy dead and expressing all this concern. WHERE WERE ALL OF YOU WHEN HE NEEDED YOU MOST? WHAT DID ANY OF YOU DO TO PROTECT THIS CHILD? An entire community and an entire school system from primary to secondary failed this child. Every day he cried for help and NOT ONE OF YOU DID ANYTHING TO STOP IT. The challenge to us now is NEVER TO LET THIS HAPPEN TO ANY OTHER CHILD IN OUR COMMUNITY. NEVER!!

85. bajanwoman May 16, 2015 at 8:32 am

I am shocked that there isn’t more of a public outcry… Why.. Is it because the parent is a mother?? I know people will criticize me for saying so but if this was as a father.. Long time the relevant authorities would have been called in… Mothers are abusive…
    This is a sad reflection of her mothering or lack of skills..
    The boy was hungry and he was being abused
    So many now want to blame someone but look inside at your own self…
    I understand how he felt… My mother use to let me go hungry and would abuse me regularly and I use to wish someone would take me… I am now 45 but I felt like that too and I am now a woman who has had to learn to forgive and move on… But this poor boy dint see a way out… I pray this wakes Bajans up to their selfishness

86. I-Shida Garner
    I-Shida Garner May 16, 2015 at 8:34 am

Where is the father cause if she want to sleep let her but let the other little boy go with his dad so she can get a good rest cause as they say the law is there for women don’t matter how you plead with the child care board to intervene they don’t especially when it is a court case……. I hope they start to take these cases seriously and I would like it to come a day where they could intervene court case or not

87. Khalid Ricardo Haynes
    Khalid Ricardo Haynes May 16, 2015 at 8:38 am

Very sad !!!

88. Hazel Lawrence
    Hazel Lawrence May 16, 2015 at 8:38 am

It takes a village to raise a child. Parent responsibility to take care of their children. Some time as parents we don’t have all the answers but I believe we should put pride aside and ask for help. As I read that he always begging for something to eat. He may not be always hungry but rather eating out of fear.

89. Hazel Lawrence
    Hazel Lawrence May 16, 2015 at 8:40 am

Where is the father of this child he needs to come forward n say / do something

90. I-Shida Garner
    I-Shida Garner May 16, 2015 at 8:41 am

If it had happened in the states trust me it would be worst the reporters doing there jobs so let them heartless or not some bajans are to ignorant if somebody was giving away a grand them would blame the reporters saying them ain’t do them job by letting john public know in the united States the reporters does have every single detail to bring to john public

91. candy May 16, 2015 at 8:44 am

Are we our brothers keeper….? RIP son.
    And as for the mother who wasn’t accountable for her son should be held accountable Now. Jail her…I am not apologetic for saying that. Child abuse and neglect is still a crime !

92. Maggie Thompson
    Maggie Thompson May 16, 2015 at 8:47 am

Oh how sad!

93. Anne Paussu
    Anne Paussu May 16, 2015 at 8:49 am

94. sandy May 16, 2015 at 8:50 am

After reading this article you have convicted that woman based on hearsay and you not being able to get her story did not help her cause. People react to death in so many ways and sleep is the only way we forget for a while, I am not saying something did not happen in the boys home but give the woman time to grieve and if she is guilty and contribute to the boys death in someway that will soon come out but don’t let the public makeup their mind on what happen based on the way you wrote this article to sell your paper . My heart go to Shamar so young.. may he R.I.P

95. Bessy Ferdinand
    Bessy Ferdinand May 16, 2015 at 8:50 am

Can tear a heart

96. Tanya Thorpe
    Tanya Thorpe May 16, 2015 at 9:03 am

R.I.P son

97. Renee Norville
    Renee Norville May 16, 2015 at 9:04 am

In all of this where is his father

98. tasha May 16, 2015 at 9:19 am

I cant understand how a 12 year old baby hang himself and the mother of this child seems so unfazed , she want to sleep?? Really. She know the truth, then tell us the truth. And why is the 7 year old brother still in her care??? Please we want the full story.

99. Tammy Sweets
    Tammy Sweets May 16, 2015 at 9:22 am

Child care board want something doing with I heard of other stories where children are being mistreated and they are yet to give assistance. Don’t cast all the blame to the mother yet. Government of Barbados what the hell is being done to help children living under such cruel and heartbreaking conditions?!? We want to know!! ….This is the saddest thing i ever read. Rip baby

100. rishida May 16, 2015 at 9:23 am

Rip shamar

101. Donte May 16, 2015 at 9:26 am

Hmmm such is life, everyone will talk, air they filthy mouths, point fingers and blame but at the end of the day, no one truly knows what the youngster was going through or what really push him over the edge…..

102. Dennis Connell
    Dennis Connell May 16, 2015 at 9:37 am

I often wonder if parents know of the scripture which says that children are an inheritance of the lord.

103. Anton Jones
    Anton Jones May 16, 2015 at 9:45 am

104. julia green May 16, 2015 at 9:50 am

This is heatbreaking. That mother should be investigated.she sounds very dontcarish. Also, I pray this ending of life does not start a trend among the young ppl…

105. Flojoe Maloney
    Flojoe Maloney May 16, 2015 at 9:55 am

Rest in peace my little one only the good Lord knows what you went through……sad losing a promising life so young but you are in a better place. No need to say what should be and shouldn’t be horse bolted long time. I just hope that we can learn from this and if we happen to have the experience PLEASE DO SOMETHING before it’s too late. There are many more like him amongst us.

106. Cumberbatch Sophia
    Cumberbatch Sophia May 16, 2015 at 10:06 am

In my opinion its not gossip they are saying what they know .If he was going hungry and neighnours where feeding him I’m sure he had to be careful for his mother not to find out. We as a society are too proud and since according to some people the neighbours like to gossip and they probably did to the CCB.

107. jm May 16, 2015 at 10:09 am

I’m a Afro American who plans to retire in BIM in the near future.I am going to set up a food pantry. In the community of Silver Sands area.

I also,with the Lords help,I plan to arrange school lunch program.

108. Beverley Yearwood
    Beverley Yearwood May 16, 2015 at 10:12 am

Chantel Bridgeman if I was in Barbados I would find you and come and shake your hand. This is the point I am trying to get across. Bajans like to put their mout in what don’t concern them but when it is time to get involved in something that could save a life they don’t want to get involved.

109. Tonya Clarke
    Tonya Clarke May 16, 2015 at 10:13 am

The have a lot of other kids suffering from this same problem but some bajans just love to much gossiping and love a sad story the other day dis lil girl was asking ppl fa two dollars nobody gave her I did going in to d supermarket behind these two wamen she ask. if u hear them saying two dollars I want two dollars to. she mother mussy home sitting down on she ass I had to go n work hard for my money the other said even if I had it she couldn’t of get it then she gin make it habbit begging me every time she see me. bear in mind if that child did end up in d wrong hands them will b sining another tune as adults them could of try to find out why she begging for two dollars if not got in contact with a police officer to do the job not judge her we need to protect our surroundings together we stand divided we fall what goes for one must go for all

110. Traci May 16, 2015 at 10:15 am

Everyone wants to condemn the mother for her comments. People handle grief differently. Her behaviour before or after her son’s death may not be commendable but there are also no perfect parents. To all the people in the neighbourhood who seemed to know what was wrong and are willing to cast blame – really! What did you do to intervene? To the previous landlord who says the mother should have given her son to her – why? Children don’t kill themselves because they are hungry, there is much more emotional stuff going on. Who’s to say that this wouldn’t have happened if he were living elsewhere. Instead of casting blame, look around at the young people in your household, your school and your neighbourhood and ask yourself what are you really doing to help them?

111. Sheila Mcintosh
    Sheila Mcintosh May 16, 2015 at 10:16 am

There are many more Sharma in the world we are living in many children go through abuse which is pushed under the rug,it is very important to speak out ,it is a must ,just for protection of the child,so neighbors if there is suspicious behaviour in your neighbor hood report it,it will save someone’s life remember it can be an adult also,my sympathy goes out to his friends ,teachers ,neighbors and others whose lives he has impacted,may his soul be rested,as he is free from the bondage of “ABUSE”.

112. Tonya Clarke
    Tonya Clarke May 16, 2015 at 10:16 am

This situation is sad all round but may his soul b free at last from all d pain an shame

113. TR May 16, 2015 at 10:25 am

People can be so cold to point fingers show the family some respect a mother just lost her son.All this wasn’t called for eating lemons off the tree it’s nice you help him but if it came from the heart the whole world don’t need to know.

114. Bajanshells May 16, 2015 at 10:25 am

We all have to be our brother’s keeper! If we have reason to suspect that a child is being abuse call the authorities and they will investigate.

People handle stress diferently, where as one person may cry another may use sleep as an escape. If the allegation against the mother are true she will suffer much backlash from public opinion etc she will need professional help.

Unfortunately, shamar has died may he rest in peace.

115. Mhyzz Haynez
    Mhyzz Haynez May 16, 2015 at 10:26 am

Ikr Nikki Vs Nicksie the boy was obviously disturbed whatever was going on his home… The mother is in denial

116. Cumberbatch Sophia
    Cumberbatch Sophia May 16, 2015 at 10:26 am

Someone alluded on an earlier post that maybe she honestly couldn’t feed her children .Really I have five children. When I had three my husband wasn’t working and I work two jobs cause my children GOT to eat, when it is breadfruit season we eating breadfruit and I going in the yam ground or sweet potato ground. I had in telephone and I took it out ,cable TV I took it out cause it was more important to make sure that we belly full.We need to know what are our priorities and stop trying to live like everybody else.We also want to cry down the 250.00 if you know that is not enough go and do some CXC or a course in dressmaking or any other thing that could be done at home and bring in some extra cash

• Karin Russell
      Karin Russell May 16, 2015 at 12:48 pm

You right!! I have two sons and my belly will burn me first before them two go hungry. Even if it is something as simple as tuna and biscuit, my children can’t know what hunger means. They didnt ask to be here and by GOD it is my job to take care of them.

• Kevin May 16, 2015 at 1:15 pm

That mothers response is just mind boggling. People knew something was not right in that family and the boy was being abused. He walked about hungry. Violence in the house. Not one but two people offered to take in the boy because they saw he was not living in a good situation. But for some reason the mother refused. Why? Is the boys father alive? Was she spiteting him? So many questions. But in this country the threshold for child ‘abuse’ is VERY high. I myself growing up saw a lady in my old neighbourhood raining blows on my childhood friend for the slightest of things. And at the end of the beatings my friend was covered in bumps, welts, marks and bruises inflicted by the pipes, sticks and coconut brooms which were the ‘weapons’ of choice. Folks used to talk about the situation but they deared not confront the lady, nor call the authorities.

117. Coreen Holford
    Coreen Holford May 16, 2015 at 10:34 am

The child care board of barbados is a waste of tax payers money,they need to start earning the salaries they are getting and stop putting window dressing in the media when something is made public. Start earning your damn keep!!!!!! Rest in peace little one

118. Sandra Bryan May 16, 2015 at 11:13 am

Since it is stated that the mother don’t care and just want to sleep, What role if any did she play in the hanging of her child? I she exhausted from being the lead character. In my sight her actions put a twist on what the incident. Is it suicide or murder? Just asking, please correct me if you think I am wrong. Not to offend anyone, but her actions alone cause me to focus in this area. My condolences to his school mates, his friends, his family, the caring and the hurting. My pray is that that they would be comforted. May his soul rest in peace.

119. mak May 16, 2015 at 11:23 am

May his soul rest in peace. Sharmar found himself in a dilemma: he had no choice in choosing his parents; he inherited an unfortunate circumstance. I can share his sorrows to a point. That why it hurts to the bone when I see children, whose appearance s suggest that they come from very poor environments. I was supported by some very nice persons, in my time of hunger. And I never forget them. We don’t choose our parents. Most often than not, we just happened to be a product of that unplanned sexual act. The very sad and hurting part, is that there are many more like shamar out there;and many more are on their way. What a sad world. Where we can , help them, and don’t abuse then in no way whatsoever.

Finally, leave the mother alone: no body knows her troubles. She may need some form of mental evaluation. Where is the father in all this. And the press should but out. As a nation we are becoming to cold, individualistic and unsympathetic. Left her to grieve.

120. Cecelia Harte May 16, 2015 at 11:33 am

Hav read all the other comments and nohse hav made these inquiries if he was so hungry what was the other boy eating no mention of the other boy from any of the neighbors he was known to b seen all over the neighborhood but absolutely noone mentions the other boy . Neighbours took him picnicking wher was the lil brother wen he was out mixing wid his aunties anduncles in the neighborhood. They live in an apartment so mummy making rent somehow. Strange case . I’m getting dat theboys maybe didnt hav the same father so lil brother didnt hav hunger issuses cause mayb his father paying the bills and rent so we kno how some men get wid their money and some mt others get wen they spike de fathers but at the same time he wasn’t going school dirty or anything like dat so qhuite puzzling . How can a child b so influential to other boys in the neighborhood but was never seen wid his own lil brother hmmmm makes u wonder how they got along . Again how can a boy b seen so carefree and happy mins before just go home and do sumthing like dat the nex few mins hmmmm . Obiviously all was not well wen screams were a common thing to b heard coming from the home regularly . No-one ever inquired or asked the boy directly it seemed caused everyone just speculating dat he was abused but noone can say outright yes he was being abuse. Mom didnt seem to mind dat he was all over the neighborhood asking for food seems she didn’t hav friends there but stil her son was at everyone’s door . So did the teachers at school kno of his hunger problems cause noone can study on a hungry belly and if they did y wasn’t plans put in place to feed him.All these thingsjust don’t add up. And kudos to the neighbors dat fed him every now and then but shouldn’t u hav been asking him if he had sumthing to eat already every time u saw him if u knew wat his situation was . So was mum straving him while fattening the other boy.

121. Wendy Bucknor
    Wendy Bucknor May 16, 2015 at 11:44 am

That poor child gone very heart broken

122. Janice Greaves
    Janice Greaves May 16, 2015 at 11:54 am

This is so sad it made me cry

123. Neil Straker May 16, 2015 at 11:55 am

You can try to attach blame to an individual or even an organisation but in the end the only person to blame is the person in the mirror. We as a society failed him and he is not the only one that will fall at the wayside, there will be others. We have grown into a society where we see and don’t see. We observe but don’t act. We are too busy dealing with our own problems to deal with others. The days of old when a village raised a child is nearly behind us. Materialism rule the day. We have lost what made this nation a family. The pride that our elders held in this island is lost on the youth. Tears will flow for this lost life but how many of us will learn from it. How many of us will extend that hand to those less fortunate. Let this be a wake call. Let this be a turning point in your lives.

124. Sherrie Thorne May 16, 2015 at 12:00 pm

When something bad happens, the only thing I want to do is to go to sleep with the hope that when I awaken, it’s only a dream.

125. Signori Nera
    Signori Nera May 16, 2015 at 12:00 pm

Takes a village to raise a child

126. Juvita Bristol May 16, 2015 at 12:04 pm

this is my opinion, why if the mother couldnt manage raising her child, Why didnt she allow others to raise the child. Sometimes persons need exposing for the things they do. She is showing no remorse or even care, but she must feel bad that she is being exposed and she have to sleep with this til the day she dies. I hope that she get some sort of psychological help.

127. kafi May 16, 2015 at 12:16 pm

Attack the issue and not the media! We will never get it right!

128. Ormond Mayers May 16, 2015 at 12:26 pm

It so sad , that after all this little boy was facing, the people aware of his plight, did nothing, and now bemoaning his unfortunate passing.

If what I am hearing and reading is true, this mother is an animal, who woes has just begin. You will not enjoy a peace of mind, eventually going crazy resulting in severe pain. The trouble life you created for Shamar , is a heavy burden you will carry.

To the unloving Child Care Board, investigate this crazy woman, and remove the other boy from the evil woman.

Can’t believe this kind of evil act was unfolding in Barbados.

129. Amanda Scott
    Amanda Scott May 16, 2015 at 12:30 pm

This story is heart broken

130. bev griffith May 16, 2015 at 12:46 pm

It’s news and it must b reported…the mother sounds like she in pain?..did we read the same article. ..if she cared she wudnt have starve the kid…as a mother u feed ur kids and if it’s not enough …u let them have it and u find something for ur self to eat from some where. ..wat the hell a human doing eating limes or lemons. …wat a 12 yr old kno about hanging himself. .i wud think if he was going to kill himself he wud take pill…whether he kill himself or not the mother needs to be charge…i am appealing to the police to please investigate this case properly and let justice be serve….she is a horrible parent….if she didn’t do it she contributed to his death…Lord have mercy

131. Yogi Ni May 16, 2015 at 12:49 pm

This hurts as if this boy was my child, as I wirite their are tears in my eyes. God why do you allow things like this to happen to innocent kids. May this child soul rest in eternal peace.

Why is this boy mother not charge with a least child neglect from what I’ve read in this article? Only in Barbados. I hope the authorities have removed the other child from that home.

Who is going to guard innocent children from abused if the state is not doing it. I have nothing more to say on the matter for now. I’m way too hurt and angry.

132. Trisha May 16, 2015 at 12:49 pm

Reading that story an I’m crying lord father plz forgive his soul he only wanted to b out of the pain he was suffering I’m so sorry this happen it’s hurts me to see how cold a woman could be toward the death of her child she the Lord in sleeping

133. Morgena Johnson
    Morgena Johnson May 16, 2015 at 12:54 pm

I hope that this is a wake up call to each and everyone of us out there…we blaming the young people for the angry behavior but these children inherited this from the parents instead of showing them love they feed them with cursing and licks so at the end of the day the children grow up with violence killing stealing and more..I saw a woman walking toward a car recently she had a girl walking in front of her could be about 7 or 8 and a child on her hip the little girl proceeds to open the front door on the passenger side instead of telling the child to go to the back she told her….you carry ya C–t (bad word) to the back the little girl looked at me with sad eyes…now I mentioned to her..that is why the young people are how they are today she curse me out. So what all this is telling you..he had no love so he took his little life…may he rest in the arms of Jesus.

134. Yogi Ni May 16, 2015 at 1:00 pm

@ Ari Bianca,

Base on this news story and I have no reason to doubt the integrity of the reporter, anyone who is passing judgement have a right to do so. Base on the news story the former land lady who is now living overseas asked the mother of the boy to give the child to her to take care of him. The mother refused to give her the boy, that was four years ago. That alone say to me that back then this child was being mistreated. From what other residents said to the press it is clear is also clear that the mother was abusing the boy. I’m in total agreement that the State failed this boy. I sincerely hope that his death will not be in vain. I hope that a fund will be started right away so he can have a decent funeral

135. reg May 16, 2015 at 1:07 pm

they say it takes a whole village to raise a child all of them knew something could of been dont to make this felt wanted and love if one of them had take that child the mother would have called the police and then the whole story have come out i have a son and i feel that boys relate to thier father more its sad we could not save shamar but they are other shamar out there dont let it happen again

136. Gail Jennifer Rudder
    Gail Jennifer Rudder May 16, 2015 at 1:19 pm

This is even more horrible and pathetic than when I first heard the breaking story…My God…why didn’t anyone call the police when this child was wandering around looking for a meal from somewhere…anywhere …that is criminal! I hope they sink his mother and all other adults in household under the damn jail! Pray God there are no other children in that household.

137. Tania Mercoucheff-Miller
    Tania Mercoucheff-Miller May 16, 2015 at 1:24 pm

So sad. Sure the mother didn’t do it?????? She seems incompetent, and where is the younger brother now, I pray not with her!

138. Abby Williams
    Abby Williams May 16, 2015 at 1:25 pm

Wow this broke my heart into pieces this is beyond sad

139. Gail Jennifer Rudder
    Gail Jennifer Rudder May 16, 2015 at 1:26 pm

I agree Morgena…I was recently home on vacay and had stopped in Chefette downtown for a quick bite to eat. There was a woman sitting with a small girl, probably around age 4 or 5. The child was being playful and eating her food and I don’t remember what the child did but it certainly didn’t warrant the mother’s response…she tells her “you en tired uh getting beat every minute…sih down before I lick ya down”…then the child tries to finish her drink hurriedly as the mother wanted to leave but couldn’t drink it as fast as the mother wanted her to…to which the mother tells her to throw it away. The child pleaded…But Mummy, I want to finish it…At this point the mother snatches the cup out of the child’s hand and shoves it into the trash…Poor kid started bawling and mother hauls off and cuffs her across her head…I’m still in shock at the rough demeanor of the mother towards a girl child…how can we expect our daughters not to succumb to domestic abuse in later years? Cud Christ this is all they know…you live what you learn and learn what you live. The abusive and aggressive behavior by Bajans has got to stop …it’s really appalling!

140. Gail Jennifer Rudder
    Gail Jennifer Rudder May 16, 2015 at 1:28 pm

Tania…that’s what I said…I don’t see indication where this child might have done it…maybe he’s been saying it several times without intent and the mother got pissed and did it herself then made it seem as though he did it. Her reaction in the wake of her child being found hanging at her home is totally suspect to me!

141. Curvature Melly
    Curvature Melly May 16, 2015 at 2:39 pm

Want to lay down sleep…..really….Under the circumstance? The child see death as a rescue being as how u were determined to make his life unbearable instead of allowing someone else to raise him

142. Patrick Blackman May 16, 2015 at 2:51 pm

As sad as it may be the only question here is, was this a case of parental abuse ? Was the child protective services informed? Was there a failure of child protective services to act in this case? When these questions are answered, the DPP would be informed for laying charges. RIP – Blackman family (Quebec Canada).

143. Peter Bentham
    Peter Bentham May 16, 2015 at 3:58 pm

So many have failed here. Among them are a few shining stars who did what they could to help this kid.
    I am so glad this story is being highlighted, something good will come out of it I hope.

144. Debbie Love May 16, 2015 at 4:04 pm

Heart broken n in tears. Yet he passed for CP. A child with great promise n endurance finally gave up. Please help a child today. Kind words or sponsorship can change this world. Dont let his death be in vein but a sacrifice for other kids who need us.

145. marcelan May 16, 2015 at 4:22 pm

This is quite an unfortunate situation and moreso when the system which include his family school and neighbours failed him bigtime. To quote the mother only”I know the story” and “I want to sleep”, seeems as though a sigh of relief to you as your seeming stress is no longer present but you have opened a can of worms with your nonchalance and anhedonia. Hopefully the seven year old will be spared from a similar fate of an upbringing which seems questionable in your care based on neighbourly reports. I do hope the authorities have been awoken.

146. Jerbean Gilkes Worrell May 16, 2015 at 5:07 pm

This is very sad and unfortunate ,while reading this story it was so emotional .To think about the hell this child had to faced in the home daily which would caused him to commit this act .The Village need to get more involved and protect our children from abuse and neglectful parents .Shamar may you rest in eternal peace .

147. ricardo smith May 16, 2015 at 8:44 pm

take away the other child please

148. levi carmichael May 18, 2015 at 7:45 am

Sometimes children play around I don’t think he meant to commit suicide. I think he just was fooling around with his self and a mishaped happened

149. smh May 18, 2015 at 1:59 pm

i just read all those comments and as a mother of a 11yr old i am in shock because that could have been my son and the fact that it was said the mother wants to sleep has me in shock i could never sleep, bath eat , drink if i lost my son he is and always will be my baby