October 20, 2016 - UPDATE: Yearwood gets bail Kwame Everton Dashawn Yearwood, 17, ... +++ October 20, 2016 - Wanted man surrenders Police  now have in custody 42-yea ... +++ October 20, 2016 - Teen charged in connection with ‘sex tape’ Police have arrested and formally c ... +++ October 20, 2016 - Teen’s living arrangements worry magistrate Information from a 17-year-old male ... +++ October 20, 2016 - Young cricketers show their mettle Reveria Cottle struck a well-played ... +++ October 20, 2016 - Look to organic farming – UNDP official A senior official of the United Nat ... +++

UPDATE-Student found hanging at his home

Police are investigating the apparent suicide of 12-year-old Shamar Weekes of  Fryers Well, Checker Hall, St Lucy.

The student of the Coleridge & Parry School in Ashton Hall, St Peter  was reportedly found last night hanging in the yard at his home, which he shares with his seven-year-old bother and his mother Julieanne.

The lifeless body of 12-year-old Shamar Weekes was removed from his home late last night.

The victim’s aunt Cordelle Greaves, who was openly crying on the scene, told Barbados TODAY she received the news of his death, while at church last night.

Shamar's aunt was inconsolable at the scene.

Shamar’s aunt Cordelle Greaves was inconsolable at the scene.

Other residents said Shamar was last seen alive at 7 p.m. hanging out with a friend in Sutherland Hill, three hours before he was pronounced dead by emergency personnel at 10 o’clock that same evening.

REMM1556His death has taken his close-knit St Lucy district by surprise. Margaret Gibbons described Shamar as “just friendly”, though admitting that, “from time to time, he would do the same hard ears things that boys would do”.

Gibbons said she was in total shock after learning of his passing. She also reported that he had gone to school as usual on Thursday and that his behaviour, to her, was well within the norm.

However, 16-year-old Roseanne Husbands said she suspected that something was wrong when Shamar, a close friend of her brother Rashad, decided to leave their home early, instead of staying there late as he usually did.

To her, Shamar was generally “a cool person, who was always telling jokes and would make us laugh”, but she never knew the full extent of his dark side.

Husbands recalled that he had threatened on several occasions in the past that “he would hurt himself” but she said neither she nor her brother believed him.

Still, Husbands did not think that he would ever take his own life, even with the problems she knew he was facing at home. Recently, she said, Shamar had complained to her that he was hungry, which led her to share her food with him.

79 Responses to UPDATE-Student found hanging at his home

1. Candice Elenor
    Candice Elenor May 15, 2015 at 5:53 am

Very sad news

2. Kimberley Will
    Kimberley Will May 15, 2015 at 6:02 am

Really sad news..condolences to his family.

3. Roseann Teresa Jordan
    Roseann Teresa Jordan May 15, 2015 at 6:02 am

Wow this is very sad indeed

4. Cynthia Blackman
    Cynthia Blackman May 15, 2015 at 6:25 am

Sad indeed friends relatives when we hear LITTLE things please pass it on .. The little threatening things you might hear a person saying don’t always take it as foolishness .. out of the Abundance of the Heart the mouth speaketh.. May he rest in peace as we comfort the family with our prayers

5. Deborah Pile
    Deborah Pile May 15, 2015 at 6:39 am

More than sad

6. Margaret Lorde
    Margaret Lorde May 15, 2015 at 6:42 am

Oh dear…May he R.I.P.

7. Oily Cathy
    Oily Cathy May 15, 2015 at 6:50 am

Very very sad I don’t even know to say on this

8. Roseleen Mayers
    Roseleen Mayers May 15, 2015 at 6:52 am

This is really sad whatever he was going through was too much to bear May his soul rest in peace God have mercy on him my Condolences to his family

9. Taurus Bull
    Taurus Bull May 15, 2015 at 6:56 am

Someone had to b seeing signs but ignored them. This didn’t just happen overnight.

10. Sonja Waithe
    Sonja Waithe May 15, 2015 at 7:11 am

So sad

11. mark biancardi May 15, 2015 at 7:17 am

My sincere condolences to the family very sad

12. Angg3la May 15, 2015 at 7:20 am

What in God’s name could cause a twelve year old child to take his own life? May his soul rest in peace and may light perpetual shine upon.

13. Laura Rudder
    Laura Rudder May 15, 2015 at 7:25 am

Sad. Sad. Sad.

14. murna watson May 15, 2015 at 7:30 am

This is so sad .at such a young age my condolence to the family , and his friends , may his.soul rest in peace

15. Keiana Reid-Maynard
    Keiana Reid-Maynard May 15, 2015 at 7:37 am

R.I p so sad

16. Sherry Ann Thankful
    Sherry Ann Thankful May 15, 2015 at 7:50 am

this is very sad, may he RIP

17. Sharon Griffith
    Sharon Griffith May 15, 2015 at 7:53 am

So sad rip

18. Alisa Cox-West
    Alisa Cox-West May 15, 2015 at 8:06 am

When a child is hurting enough to take his own life, we have failed them. Time for Barbados to pray hard and love harder so that these children don’t succumb to societal ills!

19. Janna Jones
    Janna Jones May 15, 2015 at 8:07 am

20. kathy-Ann Clarke May 15, 2015 at 8:07 am

Oh, boy. This has given me goose pimples. May he rest in peace. Praying for peace and healing for the family at this sad time.

21. Corrine Clinton
    Corrine Clinton May 15, 2015 at 8:08 am

If he was in England the first thing they would do is church his bum to see if he was… being………….. It’s really sad. I hope they get to the bottom of this.

• Rickel Jordan May 15, 2015 at 4:17 pm

May u rest in peace myself and the classes 1Springer and 1Yearwood would miss u more than the rest of the classes

22. Heartbroken May 15, 2015 at 8:18 am

This is so sad, reading this in disbelief and tears. This could of been my child or anyone else child out there. Pleaseeeeeeeeee pray for your children and ask the Lord to cover them.

23. Ria Phillips
    Ria Phillips May 15, 2015 at 8:33 am

Very sad indeed …RIP

24. Amanda Harris
    Amanda Harris May 15, 2015 at 8:37 am

Young children are being molested…An acquaintance of my Mom was complaining that she can’t control her young daughter (probably around 13 years) who was trying to kill herself and running away from home numerous times….when we question her further she admitted that the stepfather had attempted to kiss the daughter on one occasion, but yet when we told her that she might be being moslested she kept saying “Nobody can’t touch my children!!”….pick sense out of nonsense!! how dense must you be that you can’t see something terrible is happening with your child!! These parents really need to wake up!!!

25. Boopcy Npg Applewhaite
    Boopcy Npg Applewhaite May 15, 2015 at 8:43 am

Parents need to allow the children to free up and talk to them don’t sugar coat nothing real talk to them chaaa could b my son R.I.P #returnifpossible#

26. Patricia May 15, 2015 at 8:44 am

Our condolences goes out to the family of shamar may he rest in peace coming from the Eustace family from Canada

27. Angela Goodin
    Angela Goodin May 15, 2015 at 8:48 am

Very sad indeed. Lord have mercy on him. My prayers are with the family. May he rest in peace .

28. Angela lawrence May 15, 2015 at 8:59 am

This so sad what could be so bad at home that he has to take his own life

29. Hajra Degia
    Hajra Degia May 15, 2015 at 9:16 am

Its very heartbreaking!! Did he perhaps think that he had no one to turn to?

30. Wendy Sthill
    Wendy Sthill May 15, 2015 at 9:17 am

So sad! Depression and loniness are serious issues and it’s definitely not an overnight things there are signs but a lot of ppl just ignore. Listen to your children and ask questions about everything going on around them.

31. Ashley Sterling
    Ashley Sterling May 15, 2015 at 9:23 am

12 years old?! well, wunnuh bajans want american lifestyle now wunnuh got american problems…

• Terryann Harris
      Terryann Harris May 15, 2015 at 9:39 am

U couldn’t find nothing better to say Ashley sterling

• Petee Cumberbatch
      Petee Cumberbatch May 15, 2015 at 10:18 am

ashley probably illiterate! everyone has problems!!!!

• Heartbroken May 15, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Like you ain’t adopt the same lifestyles. This ain’t the time for being nasty!

32. Jennifer Small May 15, 2015 at 9:32 am

May his soul rest in peace. Prayers are going out to his family and friends. Hope that he finds comfort in the Lord.

33. Lola De Palma
    Lola De Palma May 15, 2015 at 9:38 am

This is so sad. My heart hurts for this little boy and his family. Something was wrong, not pointing fingers but a child don’t think to hurt themselves to that point. Lord wrap him in your arms. May He find happiness and peace with you.

34. Ann Greaves May 15, 2015 at 9:41 am

Sad. Extremely sad. We need to take better care of our children and always be aware of what they’re doing and being there for them 24/7. Take note of their verbal and non-verbal communication. Love them. This really hurt me.

35. Jackie George
    Jackie George May 15, 2015 at 9:41 am

So sad such a tragedy…. may he R.I.E.P… thoughts and prayers goes out to this family. As parents it does not pay to listen nor pay attention to you child or children. If a child is crying out help them don’t leave them.

36. Graceline Stewart
    Graceline Stewart May 15, 2015 at 9:42 am

This is so sad I pray God give strength at this time

37. Erica Bannister
    Erica Bannister May 15, 2015 at 9:42 am

So heartbreaking!

38. Olivia Howard
    Olivia Howard May 15, 2015 at 9:48 am

MY thoughts and prayers are with the family GOD BLESSED

39. Gilly Smith
    Gilly Smith May 15, 2015 at 9:54 am

It is so sad to hear that a 12 yr old has opted for the ultimate this day and age when he was at his wits end he did not think there was anyone he could turn to for help in whatever he was going thru.. What has this country come to? Are we no longer our brother’s keeper? where does suffer the little children to come unto me, stand?..are we so busy that we are blind to the suffering of others? and in this case a child who was in his 1st year of secondary school..we need to pause and take a hard look on whats going on around us..and ask if this is what we want happening …may he rest in eternal peace..something he never received in his short mote it be…

40. Joan Watson May 15, 2015 at 9:55 am

This is very sad and also very very unusual for a child this young….my condolences to the family.

• Diana L Callender May 15, 2015 at 11:21 am

Condolences to the family,friends and loved ones of this young child who has left so soon with many unanswered questions. My pray is that God in his wisdom and mercy would send persons to lend support and comfort to those who are hurting as a result of this sad and tragic occurance. We do not all know this family,but we can all offer up prayers for them as they go through this trying time; and let’s not forget the children.Classmates and all those with whom he interacted,even the ones who might just know him. For this will indeed impact on them as well. Parents PLEASE talk to your children,not at them,but to them. May he rest in peace.

41. Debra Trotman May 15, 2015 at 10:01 am

So heartbreaking, RIP

42. colleen crichlow May 15, 2015 at 10:01 am

may his soul rest in peace i feel sad

43. Marsha Riley
    Marsha Riley May 15, 2015 at 10:03 am

Very very sad, it’s evident we are still living in an era, where children are to be seen and not heard. We need to pay attention. People, please bring back when its a community that grows our children, not just parents. Rest in peace young one.

44. nicola May 15, 2015 at 10:10 am

My sympathy goes out to the family of this young man, no ones knows what may have been going on in his life that he felt this was the only way out, children look at things different from adults, what may seem one way to us, look difficult challenging to them, thats y we as parents, quardians, should pay close attention , be knowledgable about every aspect in their lives, so when we see a change, we can act on it,
    My prayers are with you Mom, Dad, family

45. Jane Brathwaite
    Jane Brathwaite May 15, 2015 at 10:37 am

I come in contact from day to day with children that tell me their story about stuff that going on at home , mothers and fathers are struggling to provide , children are stressed parents are stressed people snapping at kids living in bim not easy kids can’t even pay to do cxcs some people in bim don’t have a clue what happening can I help ? No cause I struggling with my kids too. What ever it is in this case , he gone no words can bbring him back RIP sad day today !!!!!

46. Suzette Clarke
    Suzette Clarke May 15, 2015 at 10:38 am

This is really sad. to think that at 12 years old a child thinks he has no choice but to take his own life. Once an entire village raised a child; now we are so caught up in our own affairs that we don’t give a damn about the rest of the world. This reminds me of the story of the old lady who was dead in her home for about 2 yrs without anyone knowing. Have we become so blind to what is happening around us?

47. fayhoney May 15, 2015 at 10:54 am

So sad my condolences to his friends and family

48. Ken Debajee
    Ken Debajee May 15, 2015 at 10:56 am

make you wonder what was causing him so much pain, RIP little man

49. Anthony Archer
    Anthony Archer May 15, 2015 at 11:03 am

What a sad tragedy! My deepest sympathy is with the family.

50. N.Scantlebury May 15, 2015 at 11:03 am

It is times like these that we need to reflect on what we are doing as a society…I am not one to compare Barbados to other countries or adopt others’ policies, but this is a time to look at how we deal with parents/ caregivers in this island as it relates to their roles and responsibilities. The Child Care Board needs to be more like Child Protective Services – and by all means, I’m not saying to end lashing children, but make parents/ caregivers accountable. Investigate rigorously, and if needed, remove children from homes. Get parents professional help – parent with PAREDOS for this, and if needed – then put them in prison. The time to act is now – and for those who see and turn a blind eye, charge them for obstruction of justice or accessory to a crime. I am a parent and make no mistake – no words can explain how I feel right now. Let me say – I am not pointing fingers at an individual – I am pointing fingers at our society, one which I too am a part of. Enough is enough.

51. mariaB May 15, 2015 at 11:12 am

This child was severly abused by his wicked mother. Who use to beat him all the time unmercifully. Ask anybody any where she lived . I hope the police charge her. If she ain’t kill Shamar she self her abuse drove him to it. That child was living in torment and constant fear and beatings. With nothing to eat. She too wicked I hope the police further investigate this death. How dreadful

• D May 15, 2015 at 4:23 pm

Excuse me but…you know all of this for a fact??

52. Rick Slyford
    Rick Slyford May 15, 2015 at 11:15 am

Tragic indeed

53. Linda Cumberbatch
    Linda Cumberbatch May 15, 2015 at 11:24 am

Smh this is very sad indeed, I lost for words .

54. Mac10 May 15, 2015 at 11:35 am

….Husbands recalled that he had threatened on several occasions in the past that “he would hurt himself” but she said neither she nor her brother believed him…..

That is what needs to be investigated, why he would say that, what was happening to him or around him.

My sincerest condolences to the family.

55. Donna Harewood May 15, 2015 at 12:02 pm

It hurts me to think of this poor boy and what he was feeling as he, all alone wrapped that noose around his neck. Was there no one to whom he could turn? Why weren’t his threats taken seriously? This didn’t have to happen! R. I. P. son.

56. E. Greeaves May 15, 2015 at 12:02 pm

Family trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean on His understanding. We cannot bring this child back to life, that is a miracle to be performed by God our one of His disciples. But as. a nation neighbours are always willing to help in time of need. On this day I ask our savior Jesus Christ to lift my people of Checker Hall, St. Lucy up in pray especially the mother and entire family, to lost a love one is very hard, the one thing that you can do is to live with the memories of his short life. God will bring peace to this family. God bless each of you – Psalms 23:4 Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. This Psalms help me through my lost with my dad, uncles, aunt and brother it helps me know that they spirit is in a better place

57. Sparkle May 15, 2015 at 12:06 pm

It really hurts, to think that there was no one at all that this child could have turned to for help. We have to look out for these signs, this child needed someone to show him love. May he rest in peace.

Hopefully investigations will bring to light the real cause of this suicide.

Its a sad day for me.

• Joyann Roberts May 15, 2015 at 6:45 pm

It is alleged that his own mother, was molesting that child from primary school, he was talking much people never listened…my heart cries out for him….may his soul rest in peace

58. September May 15, 2015 at 12:15 pm

Don’t care how high maintenance you are there are others who can have it, giving to someone just to save his life not gonna kill

59. baja gurl May 15, 2015 at 12:19 pm

mariaB these are some very strong accusations you are making, I hope you have prove to all you said people are suing for less. It really sad he went this route and there was no one, father (if one was around) teacher, mother, aunt, friend someone to confine in. I feel for the lil brother that now have to live with this and maybe saw his brother there hanging, may he be protect by our Almight Father. What is our Barbados coming to, the young people are so violent and the older folks turn up there noses rather than talking with them. Parents are not parenting they cursing babies like they are grown man or woman. We (and I include myself) need to think and do better than this.
    My deepest condolences to the family…………….

60. Tony Waterman May 15, 2015 at 1:33 pm

@Joan Watson!!! Yes it is VERY Sad, perhaps unusual for a Child this Young in Barbados, but it happens here in Canada Regularly, especially on the Indian Reserves up North.

@Gilly Smith!!!! Ques:What has this country come to? Ans: We are Yearning to becoming 1st World and these problems come with that Yearning.
    Ques:Are we no longer our brother’s keeper? Ans:NO Ques:where does suffer the little children to come unto me, stand? Ans: Nowhere Today. Ques:are we so busy that we are blind to the suffering of others? Ans: YES.

I am surprised, that his Teachers at CP did not pick up on any Changes to his demeanor, not Blaming anyone, just that back in the day this would probably have happened, coupled with the fact that he had previously Threatened to do himself harm.i will assume(Assumption only) that there is no Counsellor at CP that he could have spoken to’

Finally!!! i hope that an AUTOPSY will be done to rule out or confirm things such as Sexual Abuse,Physical Abuse,Etc. Also was there a History of BULLYING at School or on the Internet, any of these things could have been a trigger for this end result. Was there any chance of Mental Ilness ?.

@mariaB!!!! If you are so adamant that this is what was happening with that Young Boy, how come you NEVER reported this to the Authorities, were you afraid that it would come back on you??
    just be warned, you then MUST carry some of the Blame for this Death, as you were aware of what was happening, and you did NOTHING.Too Late has been your Cry.

May he rest in Peace, and rise again someday with the Angels in Glory.

61. Dawn Rollins May 15, 2015 at 3:04 pm

Children do not hang themselves because they are hungry.
    They would go to friends & family to share their meals, pick fruit or even steal to feed themselves before taking such drastic measures!
    I am a suspicious person & I am not swallowing the comments of these children that were interviewed. The comments are a bit suspect to me. These comments had no content or value.
    A full investigation needs to be actioned & when this is done, other neighborhood kids will fill in the gaps & “brake” the case wide open.
    This is so sad. A young life gone much too soon.
    RIP Lad.

• D May 15, 2015 at 4:29 pm

Too true. Recently he complained he was hungry…ok. I was really hungry yesterday. I told people too. Ive been hungry as a child too. Told people as well. Never had parents who neglected me though. I think it was unnecessary and can be possibly misleading to place that comment in this “story”.

62. jackie May 15, 2015 at 3:20 pm

63. Shama May 15, 2015 at 5:30 pm

Now this is y I don’t let nun r no 1 stress mi out coz this is wat it can lead to very sad indeed but rest ez fam

64. cindy gonsalves May 15, 2015 at 6:39 pm

Deepest sympathy from the Gonsalves family. I was in tears ag work when i heard the news
    Very sad

65. cin May 16, 2015 at 4:53 am

It would have to be something very depressing and unbearable in order for Shamar to have taken his life. His family should have paid more attention to the signs that something was wrong with him. I am very sorry that he was pushed to the limit where he had to take his own life in order to escape the problems and issues he was going through.

66. Shawn May 16, 2015 at 7:05 am

Why this gad to happen my friend has passed away. 1Miller 1Coleridge and other form said rest in Peace #R.I.P#

67. Sean Blair May 16, 2015 at 7:08 am

All of Friends of Coleridge & Parry School said may you rest in peace

68. nanci May 20, 2015 at 2:19 pm

he was such a nice child , but why didnt the mother let people help her with the child she was hard headed, and ignored his plight. Sadly nothing is going to happen about this because kids have no voice these days. Many mothers are good mothers, but the few that want to beat the child for every little thing, they have to remember your children come first, before a man, boyfriend or a husband, shamar may be a little hard ears, but he was just a kid, a baby. I hope people hear what really drove him to do such a dreadful thing.

69. nanci May 20, 2015 at 2:22 pm

this suppose to child month in Barbados, but i say everyday should be child month, kids in Barbados and the Caribbean should have a hot line to call in cases of abuse, or neglect or if you feel threaten or in fear of being hurt by any adult. I blame the mother, not every woman that born a child is a mother, a mother is a supporter to the end, even when the child is an adult, the mother is still demanded the role of mother.

70. nanci May 20, 2015 at 2:35 pm

I theorise the mother threated to beat him up and he couldnt take it no more, so he killed himself, i remember growing up and when your mother threaten to beat you, but you wish she would just do it and not tell you, it causes lots of stress and pain within the child. I think thats what happen to shamar, parents dont realize they not always going to be young and strong and in control, one of these days, you going to be old and helpless and those same kids you abuse, you will want to help you out. Parents need to stop that foolishness about beating up kids with a leather belt, you may grow up like that with your parents or mother beating you up, but that is not good for these kids today, talk to your kids, hug them and love them,, stop criticizing them, understand them, and read to them at night. This corporal punishment in Barbados and other Caribbean countries is the slavery mentally behavior, parents need to let the child enjoy their lives