News Feed

October 22, 2016 - Burst main near Springer Memorial A crew from the Barbados Water Aut ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Helping Haiti The Help Haiti Today Radiothon, has ... +++ October 22, 2016 - St James man nursing stab wounds One woman is assisting police with ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Teen remanded Eighteen-year-old Adam Harris of En ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Police probe Wildey fire Police are investigating a fire whi ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Intrigue among Barbados Pride With the start of the 2016-17 West ... +++

Case dismissed

Robbery accused walks free in the absence of police file

COURT TODAY BLOCKPolice files have to be brought before the magistrates’ courts more speedily.

Magistrate Douglas Frederick issued the stern warning, as he dismissed a case, which had been in the court system for three years. The file was still not available today.

Three years ago, he was accused of robbing Hugo Alleyne of a $4 000 chain and a $1 500 pendant. But today, Michael Hollingsworth got a third anniversary present as he walked out of the District ‘A’ Magistrates’ Court free of any charge, after Magistrate Frederick dismissed his case.

Hollingsworth is a 43-year-old security guard of Godding Road, Station Hill, St. Michael.

When the case came up in the District ‘A’ Magistrates’ Court No. 1 today, prosecutor, acting Station Sergeant Neville Watson, said he was not in possession of a file. He then introduced the investigator who said the file had been completed even though it was not present.

“Did you do everything you were supposed to do on it?” asked the magistrate.

“Yes Sir.”

“Since when?”

“Since 2012,” the officer replied.

Asked where the file was, the policeman said he expected it would be available soon but was still “coming through the channels”.

“And it is taking so long to get here? These channels (are) taking too long,” Magistrate Frederick replied.

“The accused has no lawyer,” the magistrate said, “he has no-one to speak for him. He has a life too. If you submitted everything since 2012, then the file should be here. It takes three years to get here?”

“If he was found guilty, what could I do with him? By then, the man might have matured, changed his life . . . . We have to deal with these matters as soon as possible,’ he said.

2 Responses to Case dismissed

  1. Alex Alleyne May 13, 2015 at 5:50 am

    This is where Mr. Alleyne should now sue the crown.

  2. Mac10 May 13, 2015 at 12:53 pm

    Congratulations to Magistrate Douglas Frederick for making the correct decision. No file no case simple – DISMISSED!!!!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *