Baltimore curfew remains in effect

baltimore 1Hundreds of Baltimore residents rallied peacefully in the streets Saturday following the arrest a day earlier of six police officers in the death of Freddie Gray, but authorities announced the city would remain under a curfew during overnight hours.

“We have had several good days, peaceful days,” Maryland State Police Commissioner William Pallozzi said at a press conference. “We just ask for patience as we move forward.”

Community members had urged authorities to lift the curfew. The announcement was made less than three hours before the 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. curfew went into effect.

Brandon Scott, a Baltimore City Council member, predicted people would defy the curfew as they have in past nights. Police detained 53 people late Friday, including 15 who violated curfew.

Scott said he opposed the curfew extension, partly because of its economic impact.

“We could have seen some businesses recoup some money with the fight parties,” he said, referring to the boxing match between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather.

Jay Morrison of the YMC Community Coalition called the decision “very frustrating” and wondered if a curfew would have been left in place for a predominately white community.

“For five days now people have been under curfew,” he said. “I think we need to put trust in the people. This curfew should be lifted.”

Maryland National Guard General Linda Singh said she’s eager to send troops under her command back home.

“I want to make sure we can close out tonight in a safe, peaceful … manner,” she said. “My focus is ensuring we keep everything in a safe manner … and we the military will pull out in the same manner we pulled in … very calm.”

The late Freddie Gray
The late Freddie Gray

Earlier on Saturday, marchers converged on Baltimore City Hall after trekking from the Gilmore Homes housing project, where Gray was arrested, as similar gatherings were set for various cities from Boston to Beverly Hills.

Marchers — some carrying signs with messages such “Justice for Freddie Gray” and “It is right to rebel” — moved peacefully through the streets of Baltimore to War Memorial Plaza outside City Hall, where hundreds of others gathered for the block-party-like rally.

Daisy Villalobos, wearing a T-shirt with the words “Black Lives Matter,” traveled from New York, where she said she was hurt earlier this week during an arrest at a Freddie Gray protest in Union Square. The march was about more than police brutality, she said, adding that people were also rallying in support of “neglected communities” throughout the country.

Outside City Hall, a biracial couple — Devan Sutherland and Joe Savage — attended the rally with their seven-year-old son Liam.

“It means everything to me and my family,” Sutherland said about being at the rally. “I was born and raised here. I care a lot about my city. I love my city … I decided to stay and raise my family here. And to have a little boy, it’s even more important for me to be here.”

The Rev. Alvin Gwynn, pastor of Leadenhall Baptist Church, noted the importance of voter registration drives at the massive gathering.

“Those are the people in the jury box,” he said.

The rally, organized by the Washington-based Black Lawyers for Justice, came after a week of demonstrations, some of them marred by incidents of arson and looting.

City prosecutor identifies six officers

Baltimore City State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby
Baltimore City State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby

Six police officers were charged in the death of Gray, Baltimore City State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby said Friday, describing what she believes happened April 12, when Gray was arrested.

The 25-year-old died after suffering “a severe and critical neck injury” while being transported “handcuffed, shackled by his feet and unrestrained” inside a police van, she said. It is against police policy to transport a prisoner without proper restraints such as a seat belt.

The police union called for an independent prosecutor, saying Mosby has conflicts of interests. They also criticized her for not waiting until police were done with their inquiry.

“Let me begin by stating how appalled and frustrated we are at this morning’s events. …. We are disappointed in the apparent rush to judgment given the fact that the investigation into this matter has not been concluded,” said Gene Ryan, president of the police union. “Our officers, like every other American, are entitled to due process.”

The Baltimore Fraternal Order of Police said the officers did nothing wrong.

“No officer injured Mr. Gray, caused harm to Mr. Gray, and they are truly saddened by his death,” said Michael Davey, an attorney for the union.

baltimore 2

The accused

The officers face various charges that could lead to decades in prison.

• Officer Caesar R. Goodson Jr., 45, faces one count of second-degree depraved-heart murder, involuntary manslaughter, second-degree assault, manslaughter by vehicle (gross negligence), manslaughter by vehicle (criminal negligence) and misconduct in office.

• Lt. Brian W. Rice, 41, faces one count of involuntary manslaughter, two counts of second-degree assault, two counts of misconduct in office and one count of false imprisonment.

• Sgt. Alicia D. White, 30, faces one count of involuntary manslaughter, second-degree assault and misconduct in office.

• Officer William G. Porter, 25, faces one count of involuntary manslaughter, second-degree assault and misconduct in office.

• Officer Garrett E. Miller, 26, faces two counts of second-degree assault, two counts of misconduct in office and one count of false imprisonment.

• Officer Edward M. Nero, 29, faces two counts of second-degree assault, two counts of misconduct in office and one count of false imprisonment.

Second-degree depraved-heart murder is punishable by up to 30 years in prison.

Gray’s relatives said they are satisfied with the charges announced.

“These charges are an important step in getting justice for Freddie,” said his stepfather, Richard Shipley.

Out on bail

Court records show the officers have paid bail, which for Goodson, White, Porter and Rice had been set at $350,000 each; for Nero and Miller it was $250,000 apiece.

The six have a preliminary hearing on May 27. (CNN)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *