October 20, 2016 - UPDATE: Yearwood gets bail Kwame Everton Dashawn Yearwood, 17, ... +++ October 20, 2016 - Wanted man surrenders Police  now have in custody 42-yea ... +++ October 20, 2016 - Teen charged in connection with ‘sex tape’ Police have arrested and formally c ... +++ October 20, 2016 - Teen’s living arrangements worry magistrate Information from a 17-year-old male ... +++ October 20, 2016 - Young cricketers show their mettle Reveria Cottle struck a well-played ... +++ October 20, 2016 - Look to organic farming – UNDP official A senior official of the United Nat ... +++

Happy to be alive!

His hip and left foot may be broken, but Estrum Maynard’s spirit is still very much intact. And even though his wife was not involved in the accident which almost claimed Maynard’s life last week Wednesday, she too is counting her lucky stars.

Speaking to Barbados TODAY from his bed at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital today, the 73-year-old said while he was in great pain from the injuries he sustained, he was thankful to still have his life.

Estrum Maynard

Last week Wednesday’s accident victim, Estrum Maynard.

The resident of Ellerton, St George was sitting in his Nissan March on a section of the ABC highway, when a Ford Explorer driven by 40-year-old Kenny Marshall crashed into his vehicle.

Maynard had to be freed by firemen using the Jaws of Life.

Highway vendor Ian Webster was also injured in the accident.

Estrum Maynard

Estrum Maynard is very happy to be alive.

“I could have been dead so I am very happy to be alive. My left foot is broken and I am in a lot of pain, but I am still grateful to be alive,” a relieved Maynard explained.

While he said he did not remember much after being hit, he recounted how he was just having a conversation with Webster when everything just went blank.

“I was sitting in my car talking to the vendor. He was telling me about how his daughter who lives in the US had broken her foot.

“But just as he started talking to me, I didn’t know what happen after. I only know when I see the police come and tell me to keep talking to them and I see people standing up on the sidewalk looking at me,” Maynard recalled.

“I was glad when they finally cut me out of the car.”

Looking at her husband lovingly from the other side of the bed, his wife, who declined to give her name and did not want to be photographed, revealed he had invited her to accompany him on that fateful day.

However, she declined, opting to stay home instead.

“He told me to come and go for the drive, but I told him to go ahead . . . and look what happen,” she said.

Maynard was originally scheduled to have surgery last night, but shortly after the interview concluded today, orderlies, along with a nurse, arrived to take him to surgery.

9 Responses to Happy to be alive!

1. Glenda Martin
    Glenda Martin April 23, 2015 at 10:34 pm

Holy he is lucky.

2. Mary Amos
    Mary Amos April 23, 2015 at 11:02 pm

3. jr smith April 24, 2015 at 3:47 am

I live in the UK visits Barbados sometime four times a year because of business ,soon returning to live in Barbados, I cant remember in the last year when I saw an accident. in my area, surrey south London.
    What is so scarey , in Barbados those cars look as though they are made of paper, looking at the accidents ,looks as though these drivers were speeding around 75 miles an hour.
    To me , seems as though most of the cars in Barbados is not road worthy, bajans cant drive, they drive as like they behaviour
    unruly and bad. THE SPEED LIMIT NEEDS TO BE ABOUT 55 KILOHMETER AN HOUR. and enforced, speed cameras, random stop vehicle inspection and search, random breath test, and insurance check.

• Andrew The Voice April 24, 2015 at 6:01 am

If you feel that way “Why are you coming to Barbados to live?” seems like the silliest thing to do. You are criticizing and still looking to join in. SMDH.

4. kathy-Ann Clarke April 24, 2015 at 8:00 am

I hope all goes well with the surgery, and I am happy to hear that he came out alive. Praise God!! I just hope and pray that all users of the roads will be a bit more careful.

5. Watchman April 24, 2015 at 11:54 am

@ jr smith, check the number of road casualties in the UK on gov dot uk.

So what if you dont see any accidents in your area ?
    I never see any in my neighbourhood either, plenty still occur.
    There are no cars produced for the market in Barbados. Cars imported to Barbados tend to be the same as those in some other right hand drive market.
    I really dont get why you would think that the cars in the UK are made any from any better paper than the ones in Bim.

6. Watchman April 24, 2015 at 12:04 pm

@ jr smith

By the way, in the UK there are speed cameras and other cameras and all types of checks. It has done more to criminalise and tax drivers than anything else.

7. jr smith April 24, 2015 at 2:55 pm

@ watchman, agree, what would be your ideas, to put things right in Barbados. the statement about the paper, look back at the accidents , those vehicles ,look as if they pass through a crusher.

8. Watchman April 24, 2015 at 9:01 pm

@jr smith, If by putting things right, you mean some semblance of order on the roads then that’s easy. Pursue all traffic infractions not just those of ZR and minibuses. Revenue is just waiting to be collected. Icing on the cake would be a paradigm shift among road users. Recognise that when you see accidented vehicles in the media, most of the time the firemen cut them up with the jaws of life and that the vehicle is not necessarily in the immediate post accident condition, so they’re going to look alot worse.