October 24, 2016 - Colombians arrested and charged Police have arrested and charged tw ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Man on firearm and ammo charge Police have arrested and charged 54 ... +++ October 24, 2016 - 62-year-old St Lucy resident missing Police are seeking the assistance o ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Today’s weather A tropical wave is affecting the is ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Police probe death at Golden Ridge, St George Police are investigating the sudden ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Possible funding for NGOs The Division of Economic Affairs ha ... +++

It hurts

House Speaker says court talk traumatized family and hurt career

Speaker of the House of Assembly attorney-at-law Michael Carrington Q.C., wants the opposition Barbados Labour Party (BLP) to end the talk about a court order that required him to hand over funds he was holding for a client, saying he has fully complied.

He said the entire ordeal had traumatized his family and hurt his professional career and reputation.

Carrington made known his opinion on the highly publicized matter for the first time last night at a meeting of his St Michael West Democratic Labour Party (DLP) constituency branch. He said continued talk about a matter that is now closed stands to tarnish his reputation as a lawyer, Member of Parliament, and an individual.

A few months ago, the High Court ordered Carrington to hand over to 78-year-old John Griffiths the sum of just over $200,000 that he was holding from a property sale. Griffiths took Carrington before the court after trying for a number of years to get the senior lawyer to hand over the money. Carrington subsequently paid the money.

Speaker of the House of Assembly attorney-at-law Michael Carrington.

Speaker of the House of Assembly attorney-at-law Michael Carrington.

“Basically . . . the story has . . . traumatized my family. It has endangered my professional career as an attorney-at-law and, of course, it has damaged, maybe irreparably, what little reputation I have as a law-abiding citizen in Barbados,” Carrington told the meeting at the St Leonard’s Boys’ School.

At the beginning of his 54-minute presentation, Carrington told the audience he would “take the opportunity to get a few things off my chest”. He never apologized for holding the client’s money for the length time he did, but focused his remarks on the fact that the court order was obeyed.

He also did not explain the reason for the lengthy delay in handing over the money to Griffiths, despite the elderly man claiming he had asked him several times to do so.

“I can fully understand when the story first blew up, people feeling ‘maybe we got he, he can’t account for this man money’. But you mean even after it is cleared, that I’ve complied with the order of the court, you still continue to talk your talk and slander my name, telling lies on me so?.That says to me that nothing is sacrosanct,” Carrington said.

“A lot of heavy weather has been made about the fact that somebody took Michael Carrington, attorney-at-law and Speaker, to court, but what is the big thing about that? As a Barbadian, if you feel that you have been wronged in some way, you have a right to go to court. Ask those walking about calling Michael Carrington a . . . thief if I had abided by the order of the court and if they, either in the past or when the time comes, have or can abide by the order of the court?”

Carrington told his constituents that he was exposed to virtuous teachings in his upbringing and the rules of his professional life ensured that he at all times acted within the law.

“When I came to law, to politics, I brought certain ideals with me,” he said. “Maybe I was fortunate that I was brought up in a house where people thought it was important that you go to church. There was a time when almost every day practically in the week, I would find myself at All Souls Church. I’m not saying that to say that I am any paragon of virtue but it gave me a foundation to help serve me in life to stop me from doing a number of things.”

“So I don’t lie . . . and I don’t steal, and that is not about to change. I also brought with me a belief in the rule of law and I am committed to that. After all, I am an attorney. As an attorney-at-law, you are an officer of the courts so you have to believe in the rule of law. As a Member of Parliament, you are a member of what is really the highest court in the land . . . so you have to believe in the rule of law.”

When news of the court order broke, the Opposition raised the issue in the House and asked for Carrington to vacate the Speaker’s chair, which he did for that sitting. Deputy Speaker Mara Thompson then took the chair and referred the matter to the Committee of Privileges which is yet to submit a report to the House.

After Carrington returned to the chair at the next sitting, the BLP boycotted the House for several weeks.

24 Responses to It hurts

1. MariaMaria Angel
    MariaMaria Angel April 13, 2015 at 10:49 pm

Raise yah hand if everything DEM say these days does make yah feel like pelting big rocks, or at the very least strusping long and hard…..

2. Sheldine Dyall
    Sheldine Dyall April 13, 2015 at 10:55 pm

This was in the public domain , you should be fired.

3. Steve Allen
    Steve Allen April 13, 2015 at 11:16 pm

Get him out of house as speaker if ERROL BARROW was still alive he’ll be fired. what a joke DLP leader ERROL BARROW must be tossing and turning in his grave .

4. Shurf De
    Shurf De April 14, 2015 at 4:17 am

Stupse! If the 78 old man didn’t take you to court you would still have the man money, after he asked you for it several times. So the BS about you being honest and brought up in the church is just to soften the public. If you were truly all of that it wouldn’t have come to the light. I don’t buy the BS you cooking or want to feed me. It took taking you to court and the court ordering you, for to pay back the money. A theif is only known when he is caught.

• James Mascoll
      James Mascoll April 14, 2015 at 4:28 am

Ur words r so tru ….blasted fraud he is he should not b in dat job still fired his ass

• Marva Lashley-Todd
      Marva Lashley-Todd April 14, 2015 at 5:16 am

my sentiments exactly, he begging for mercy now. He getting ready for elections so planting that in people’s head.

5. David A. Batto Batson
    David A. Batto Batson April 14, 2015 at 4:21 am

They think we are stupid……

6. Jackie Griffith-Chase April 14, 2015 at 4:43 am

This needs to happen with other lawyers doing the same crap in Barbados.
    It is stressful & time consuming for clients going through this same situation. Something has to give!

7. Ingrid Bullen April 14, 2015 at 6:16 am

He must be think that we are fools,

• Art April 14, 2015 at 10:24 am

He does .

8. harry turnover April 14, 2015 at 7:06 am

This IDIOT fa REAL ????… can’t wait for the time fa ALL ah DEM to be voted OUT.

9. Taurus lioness April 14, 2015 at 7:18 am

It hurts me that you can insult my intelligence so and think that I won’t recognize it for what it is Mr. Carrington

10. Sharon king April 14, 2015 at 7:46 am

You is who hurt your family and your career by keeping the gentleman’s money
    Why are you now trying to blame the BLP

11. Walter Prescod April 14, 2015 at 8:32 am

He should have been history, you should not be in the kitchen a bad cook leaves the kitchen when he serves a bad meal

12. Adrian Hinds April 14, 2015 at 9:50 am

why he had the man money and would not hand it over? Was he collecting interest on it? Or was he waiting for the old man to die? He refuses to tell and so I will not believe him, trust him, vote for him, or seek his legal services.

13. Art April 14, 2015 at 10:20 am

If your reputation mattered ,you would have given up the money before the court ordered you to do so.

14. Tonto April 14, 2015 at 10:24 am

Mr.Carrington does not appear contrite by apologizing for his misdeed but rather project a bold and brazen image cloaked in a religious framework trying to explain it away. What a shame!!

15. Art April 14, 2015 at 10:28 am

Canadian Senators charged with fraud kicked out of Senate and are now before the courts,The Prime Minister should have fired him.

16. linda f April 14, 2015 at 11:37 am

Mr Carrington are you for real this old gentleman took you to court to get his money what does that say about you, you are the one that hurt your family not the BLP. You should have had the decency that as soon as the land was sold to hand over the monies to the estate Mr Carrington do you really take Barbadians as fools sometimes its best to keep your mouth closed Barbadians were beginning to forget about this and there you go and open your mouth the good thing is that free education didn’t make us fools and I am an educated young lady so I can think for myself and I think THAT YOU ARE WHAT YOU ARE. ENUFF SAID

17. Angela Fergusson April 14, 2015 at 2:13 pm

Mr. Carrington, if you give me a full account of why you were holding your 78 year old client’s money long after you were asked to release it. Following his request, you complied at the court’s request; perhaps the doubts in my mind about your professionalism might go away.
    I am suspicious and want to remind you that your behaviour created this situation for you, not the people’s continuous talk. Your behaviour has dissapointed many people and believe it or not, shocked a few. I was shocked!

18. Carlo Watson April 14, 2015 at 3:03 pm

Worst apology EVER!!!

19. Sandra Basc April 14, 2015 at 3:13 pm

SERIOUSLY Mr. Carrington? Do you at all have a conscious. U owed an old man NUFF money, and u and your family are hurt.? How do u and your family think Mr. Griffith and his family felt for all those years there were getting the run around.

You are certainly looking in the wrong place for sympathy. These are things that should be talked about in the public domain because their is no representation for the ‘little man’ in this country.

20. Alec Pierre April 14, 2015 at 4:12 pm

When I was a child my parents always inculcated in us the virtue of honesty and integrity. My father always emphasized that it took a very long time to build trust by an exemplary and honest life and if that trust were at some point broken we could not live long enough to regain it. Those who fail to follow that advice should be held to account. I am very sympathetic to the gentleman who was deprived of what was rightfully his for fourteen years. The person responsible for committing such an act against him should be disbarred by the Bar Association. No one but himself is responsible for his name being tarnished for life.

21. C Brian Barnes April 15, 2015 at 5:51 am

i am 100% in agreement with Alec Pierre. Mr. Carrington’s drivel makes me feel to vomit – 14 years he had the money. Interest at 4% on $200,000.00 = $8,000.00 pa. X 14 = $112,000.00 he cheated the old man out of earning. He has in my opinion refunded in 2/3 of what he really should have. I don’t think he for one minute ever thought that the reaction to action would be as volatile as it has – others have done and walked without comment.

Supposed Mr. Griffith had died. Would his heirs have ever collected. Congratulations fo an old man for having the strength to persevere.