Lessons for UWI

Samuels' strikes put Rendezvous on top

It was the clash fans were waiting for but in the end the contest wasn’t even close.

Rendezvous returned to the top of the Digicel-sponsored Barbados Football Association’s Premier League with a clinical 2-0 victory over the dangerous University of the West Indies outfit and in the process sent a strong message to the other league title contenders.

Their goal-hungry attacker Miron Samuels was at his marauding best once again scoring both goals as the BFA continued its programme at its Wildey, St. Michael Astro Turf facility. The UWI did not help their cause much by fluffing a few definite opportunities to put the ball in the back of the Rendezvous net. Rendezvous had started the game behind league-leaders Wales in the standings, with the BDF Sports Programme and the UWI breathing down their necks.

Rendezvous' target man Miron Samuels on the attack against the UWI.
Rendezvous’ target man Miron Samuels on the attack against the UWI.

The UWI outfit applied pressure on Rendezvous from the first blow of referee Trevor Taylor’s whistle and fewer than four minutes into the game there was a collision between UWI striker Mario Harte and Rendezvous goalkeeper Kenyan Lynch with the latter forced out of the remainder of the game after picking up an injury.

This brought substitute keeper Kerrie Holder on in place of Lynch and 18 minutes into the game Rendezvous had their first goal. The ball was played up the left flank and crossed inside the box where a shot was taken at the goal but was initially well defended by UWI. However, no one picked up Samuels who was lurking in the back of the 18 yard box and he scored the rebound to the delight of Rendezvous fans.

It didn’t take too long for goal number two to come. Eight minutes later in the 26th minute UWI defender Kadeem Atkins brought down Rendezvous striker Shandel Samuels in the danger zone and the referee duly pointed to the charity spot.  Miron stepped up to take the shot and scored what would be the final goal of the game.

The rest of the first-half, surprisingly, provided few opportunities for both teams with the UWI failing to put the kind of pressure on Rendezvouz one would have expected of a side among the top rungs of the division.

The second-half provided greater incident with the UWI seemingly waking from paralysis. There was greater urgency in their play as Rendezvous concentrated on defending their lead. As often happens in such circumstances UWI missed a golden opportunity to score and get back in the game when captain Riverre Williams took shot at goal and the ball hit the top post and went over the goalkeeper’s head. That about summed up the night for UWI – frequently close but in the end still very far.

In the first match of the double-header Direct TV Paradise eked out a 1-0 win over Klaytons Kola Tonic Notre Dame. Paradise’s captain Armando Lashley yet again led from the front and was industrious in attack and defence, both on and off the ball. His work ethic was rewarded in the 44th minute when he scored the lone goal of the game. Lashley breached the Dame’s defence, found himself in a one-on-one situation with goalkeeper Kareem Farrell whom he deftly dummied before scoring to give his team the points.

Armando Lashley scored the game-winner for Paradise.
Armando Lashley scored the game-winner for Paradise.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *