October 25, 2016 - Falling growth Government’s hopes of a near two ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Woeful Windies ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates  ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Warrens keep Deacons at bay It was a scare but Pan American Lif ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Flow Study help Students preparing for the Grade Si ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Police officer dies suddenly The Royal Barbados Police Force is ... +++ October 25, 2016 - St Peter woman arrested and charged A 26-year-old St Peter woman has be ... +++

Painful loss

Christ Church family heartbroken over the death of loved one

When Sunita Wilson last saw her boyfriend Erskine Gunning she would never have fathomed that it was the final time she would see him alive.

The 41-year-old is believed to have been stabbed during an altercation at Paradise Village, Christ Church, about 12:50 p.m. today. He was transported to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital after sustaining the injury but subsequently passed away.

Erskine Gunning

Erskine Gunning

When a Barbados TODAY team visited his Paddock Road, St Michael residence this afternoon, the mood was sombre at the home he shared with his girlfriend and their four children.

Wilson was too distraught to speak at length about the death of her partner of 15 years, but questioned, ‘why him?’.

“I don’t know why them do that with he. Tell me why them do that to he. That so hard,” the grief stricken woman said.

Her mother, Margaret Wilson who spoke on behalf of the family, said she last saw Erskine when he left home earlier this morning.

Margaret Wilson, the mother of deceased Erskine Gunning’s girlfriend, said the family was not taking his death well.

“I saw him for the last time when he left home to go up Dover this morning . . . . Later I managed to answer the phone and a gentleman was speaking and I was talking to him on the cell and I just heard him [Erskine] quarrelling and the guy told him ‘Antz don’t bother with the person’ and just so the phone went dead. He then told us he heard he got stabbed and if we can get down to the hospital. My daughter went first because I was cooking and then I saw a missed call on my phone and she told me that he died,” Margaret said.

Reflecting on the deceased, who was unemployed, Margaret described him as one who would go the extra mile for anyone.

“He would quarrel at times, you know how people are, but he was a very nice person. He would help anybody. When it comes to problems or if you wanted he help with a bill or anything you could come to him with, he would help. He did up around here really nice, all around the house was busy and he cleaned it up real sweet,” she said.

Surrounded by two of her grandchildren, Isahantae and Ishan Wilson, as their mother wailed in the background, Margaret said the family was not taking his death very well.

“He and Sunita were together for 15 years. He lived down here from the time he was with Sunita. She is not taking it good at all. The children aren’t taking it good either. Them just crying all the time,” the grieving grandmother said.

Erskine leaves to mourn eight children, two of whom reside in Sweden. He would have celebrated his 42 birthday next month.

17 Responses to Painful loss

1. Shelly Blackman
    Shelly Blackman March 30, 2015 at 11:31 pm

This is sad… but 8 kids… oh my…. what is going on…. lawed help us.. we pray…!

2. MariaMaria Angel
    MariaMaria Angel March 30, 2015 at 11:36 pm

:(….. As a people, we need to reinforce, at home, the conflict resolution lessons taught at school, in our young men and women, so that when they are older, unfortunate situations like this would seldom occur in our society. Human beings (usually MEN) fight and kill over the simplest, often stupidest things. We must also instil in our young people, the value of a human life.
    R.I.P Mr. Gunning.

3. Adessa Heywood
    Adessa Heywood March 30, 2015 at 11:57 pm

Rest in peace ras an I hope ur children an family get some comfort

4. Rhonda Veronica Leacock
    Rhonda Veronica Leacock March 31, 2015 at 12:56 am

So sad!! Why worry about how many kids he had. .Pray for the family that lost their loved one!

• Bonnie Belle
      Bonnie Belle March 31, 2015 at 1:29 am

Thank you ppl just find time to worry about the wrong things and further more stuff that ain’t their business. RIP to the deceased

5. Charlie Black March 31, 2015 at 1:25 am

Ive visited barbados 2 times since last May. The last time I stay a month. I realize the economics are an issue. With economic downfall there comes many illegal activities. Each time I’ve visited I’ve seen similar issues. It feels like pride and gang type activity taking over. I’ve lived a good life in Canada. But that being said I also lived with the Loss of my entire family due to drugs and murder. This way of being only destroys all the families. When people gonna see, it their loved ones and the innocent they hurting most???

6. Ken R. Smith March 31, 2015 at 4:05 am

Rest in peace , Mr. Gunning. Sincere condolences to the family. oh what a tragedy, so sad and unfortunate.

7. gittens hallam March 31, 2015 at 6:37 am

No more hanging but lots more killing, R.I.P ERSKINE

8. kathy-Ann Clarke March 31, 2015 at 8:23 am

This is really sad. I send condolences to the family at this time of their loss. Praying for peace at this time. May he rest in peace.

9. Danielle March 31, 2015 at 8:43 am

When faced with death, why does the fact that he has 8 children become something to comment on? Is there something ‘wrong’ with having 8 children?

10. Patrick Blackman March 31, 2015 at 10:50 am

Condolences to the family, but I am outraged by these photos of the family in the press. This is a very hard time for the families, why does the media have to go to their homes to get a comment and then post their pain all over the press? There should be a law against this. Exploiting poor people for readership, how low can you get? This is not what the news is about.

11. lester carter March 31, 2015 at 12:54 pm

Our men are still in crisis and conflict resolution must start at the cradle, secondly the mentors of our men are also weak, the vbyz kartels the movados etc, i pray that the entire family be comforted in this time of loss, those children will need special counseling to help them through

12. DAP March 31, 2015 at 1:19 pm

First let me say may he rest in peace,now let let me say this if you all know Paradise Village you would know that down in there is a block where you can get all kinds of drugs and nothing good happen on blocks,it amaze me when you can say that he is unemployed with 8 children but if anyone want help with a bill he would help.

13. Tony Waterman March 31, 2015 at 3:23 pm

@Patrick Blackman!!! So i am to take it that your position on this very Sad Issue of KNIFE and GUN Violence, and VIOLENCE in General is to HIDE it”s Results away in a Corner, and not show how it Causes anguish and Suffering amongst the affected Families.
    @MariaMaria Angel!!! To Hell with that reinforcing and Conflict resolution, that has done NOTHING to Curb The Rise in Violence among our people, and the reason is quite simple, not withstanding what the “”EXPERTS”” have and are saying. Executing the perpetrators of these Horrific Crimes is in my Humble OPINION the only Answer.
    “”AN eye for an eye and a Tooth for a Tooth”” is still relevant in today’s World.
    They are still many Countries in theWorld and in the Caribbean Basin,that have Execution as a Legal sentence for Murder:
    Antigua & Barbuda, Bahamas,Barbados,Belize,Dominica,Grenada,Jamaica, St.Kitts,St.Lucia, St.Vincent and the Grenadines,Trinidad & Tobago,
    If the Froon wants Barbados to be Truely INDEPENDENT, he should stop acceding to the wishes of the former Slave Masters, and Colonialists to strike Executions, and Buggery Laws from our Books, in order to access Loans fron them to Financially prop up his aenemic Government.

14. Patrick Blackman March 31, 2015 at 3:38 pm

@Tony Waterman, No I am not saying to hide it, but why is it necessary to show his family at their worst hour like how it was done in all the press. This story could have been reported with the same headline and a picture of the victim not one with his family in pain for all to see. Those emotions could have easily been captured within the narative of the report, thats all I am saying. This type of crime is nothing new to bajans.

15. Patrick Blackman March 31, 2015 at 3:42 pm

@Tony Waterman, I agree with execution as well, but this has never deterred people from doing crap like this. The only real deterent is education and moral values, a sense of right and wrong ( not the crap that the church pushes) but a real understanding about how you should treat your fellow man.

16. Dionne Scantlebury March 31, 2015 at 7:52 pm