News Feed

October 24, 2016 - Colombians arrested and charged Police have arrested and charged tw ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Man on firearm and ammo charge Police have arrested and charged 54 ... +++ October 24, 2016 - 62-year-old St Lucy resident missing Police are seeking the assistance o ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Today’s weather A tropical wave is affecting the is ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Police probe death at Golden Ridge, St George Police are investigating the sudden ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Possible funding for NGOs The Division of Economic Affairs ha ... +++

Two homeless following Ashton Hall fire

Two people are now homeless following an early morning blaze at Corbin’s Road, Ashton Hall, St Peter.

A clearly shaken Esther Griffith told a team from Barbados TODAY that she and her 42-year-old daughter Valrosa were in bed around 12:45 this morning when they noticed that the house was on fire.

The 69-year-old Griffith reported that nothing in the uninsured, two-bedroom timber dwelling was saved.


She told Barbados TODAY that officials of the National Assistance Board visited the family this morning, but so far no help had been offered by that Government agency. Griffith has been offered accommodation at the home of daughter, Alicia Skeete, who also lives in Corbin’s Road, Ashton Hall, St Peter.

Meanwhile, when contacted today, the parliamentary representative for the area, Edmund Hinkson, said he was aware of the fire and promised to extend assistance to the unfortunate household. (NC)

2 Responses to Two homeless following Ashton Hall fire

  1. Kimberley Patrick March 27, 2015 at 9:27 am

    Why don’t people insure their homes? Makes no sense for you to spend at least $80,000 on a house, furnish, put all our wordly possessions in it and then leave it susceptible to fire and other natural disasters.

    I used to be against statutory house insurance, but since people can’t think for themselves, a law needs to be effected to make it mandatory for people to have it..

  2. shawn corbin living in new york March 30, 2015 at 2:14 am

    I am so sorry to hear about the fire


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *