October 23, 2016 - Remembering David Thompson Today marks the sixth anniversary o ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Today’s weather The Barbados Meteorological office ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Lashley urges innovation Minister of Culture, Youth and Spor ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Christmas Wonderland is back After a 12-year break, Simpson Moto ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Husbands wins St James South nomination Sandra Husbands has been elected th ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Burst main near Springer Memorial A crew from the Barbados Water Aut ... +++

St Lucy Cave gets $750 000 facelift

A fully renovated Animal Flower Cave in St Lucy is quickly becoming a popular centre for dining and entertainment for visitors to our shores.

The fully renovated Animal Flower Cave.

The fully renovated Animal Flower Cave.

And today, when a Barbados TODAY team visited that long-standing heritage site, several visitors could be seen enjoying the tasty Barbadian cuisine being served. The renovated facility now has a well-stocked bar with an open-air balcony and a spacious dining room that overlooks a wide expanse of sea –– which has the added attraction of whales that frequent the northern waters of Barbados.

English visitors Elizabeth Harvey (left) and Robert Harvey,  who have made 38 visits to Barbados so far, being made comfortable by head waitress Angela Haynes at today’s lunch.

English visitors Elizabeth Harvey (left) and Robert Harvey, who have made 38 visits to Barbados so far, being made comfortable by head waitress Angela Haynes at today’s lunch.

Young visitors about to enjoy the Barbadian cuisine at the Animal Flower Cave.

Young visitors about to enjoy the Barbadian cuisine at the Animal Flower Cave.

Animal Flower Cave owner/manager Manuel Ward told Barbados TODAY: “It took about 12 months to construct the whole space. Now, I have a facility where locals and visitors can come and enjoy the northern part of the island, and get to enjoy the beauty of the sea, and the whales.

Owner/manager Manuel Ward

Owner/manager Manuel Ward

“I have created a menu that is locally oriented. Most of my food items come from four or five small farmers of the area. I now employ 12 workers where formerly I employed two.”

Ward noted that the dining room was now completed and patrons could enjoy the breeze, the Barbadian cuisine and the beautiful ocean.

Stressing that he was a positive thinker, Ward added: “In spite of the recession, I have invested nearly $750 000 in the building, the landscaping and the equipment. I have put myself out on a limb by committing myself to a loan.”

14 Responses to St Lucy Cave gets $750 000 facelift

1. Ezekiel Baker
    Ezekiel Baker March 26, 2015 at 9:21 pm

Why don’t show a black man with his lady or family having a good time, don’t they advertise believe us black men are romantic, and or family orientated it’s always appeared as it’s whit couple only is romantic and know how having a good time with his lady.

2. Bajan Fella March 26, 2015 at 9:49 pm

Wow, you have got to be kidding me! Seriously? The racial comments? You should be ashamed of yourself Mr.Baker.

3. David Eversley March 26, 2015 at 10:04 pm

maybe if a “black man with his lady or family” was there a picture would have been taken too… what a racist comment

4. Walter Prescod March 27, 2015 at 7:08 am

Ezekiel, you hit the nail on the head

5. Rosemary Parkinson March 27, 2015 at 7:16 am

Ezekiel…perhaps when the photographer was there, only ‘whites’ were eating. Why does everything have to be turned into negative. I hardly think a photographer on an assignment would have the time to wait around until a black couple entered this establishment. And does it really matter what colour? Black, white, green, yellow, blue, even red are all welcome at Animal Flower Cave to enjoy, always have and always will be. It is a people place and not a colour place. I do believe the point of the article is to give kudos where kudos are due and the refurbishment of this spot on the north is what is more important than anything else…employment of people to do the job of reconstructing and now to service is of tantamount importance also to our economy…keeping it local with purchases from surrounding farms to produce the dishes served, a big plus.

Now…as far as the food and service is concerned…my friend and I had a wonderful time, everything was perfect, and as a culinary author I shall scream its goodness from this island right across the world. Already started by featuring them in my book Barbados Bu’n-Bu’n – a culinary adventure. The Wards have done an exceptional job. Continue the good work.

6. Brenda King March 27, 2015 at 8:07 am

Great to read a successful story with such a local focus – menu based on bajan dishes, produce from local farmers and the creation of local jobs. Even the design of the restaurant has been built to reflect the environment where it is located. Congratulations to Mr Ward and the St Lucy community! I will definitely visit on my next trip to the island.

7. Christopher Robinson March 27, 2015 at 8:36 am

Well said Rosemary Parkinson, could not have said it better!

8. Sue Gauthier March 27, 2015 at 11:05 am

I think the owner has done a fabulous job, it is so much more user friendly. The play ground area is fantastic. I brought my grandkids there and they had so much fun playing, and also enjoyed french fries and a drink. Congratulations on a wonderful scenic area, one of my favourite stops now in Barbados!

9. Edward Ayoung March 27, 2015 at 11:32 am

Can’t believe I am seeing comments about black people not
    Eating in the photos, What’s wrong with our people. Go to the
    Restaurant and get your picture taken if you want to be
    Seen. I hope you are not a bajan talking like this you will make your ashamed of you, I hope you are also not in tourism business. Good lord help these people. The poor man hired bajan to work.
    That’s what is more important. He is trying to help the economy.
    If you don’t understand what I am trying to say then you should not comment. Have a good day

10. Heather Straker March 27, 2015 at 11:50 am

I DO totally agree with Rosemary’s comments on this MATTER.. Colour ( what ?) should never have come into this conversation or observation …on who was in attendance or who ( Colour again ) was serving etc..
    Get a life ! Mr. Baker …you need to get a life and step outside your BUBBLE ~ there really is a life outside of BLACK AND WHITE !

11. Catherine Manning March 27, 2015 at 11:58 am

Very true Rosemarie. Since when was Manny racist?? Looks lovely and hope to get down there when the children are here on holiday. Not in St. James anymore and St. Farlip is just that, far!

12. Cleveland Griffith March 27, 2015 at 12:55 pm

What is wrong with some people everything race must be injected . If it wasn’t for tourism I would hate to think what or where things would be on the island .
    Ms.Parkinson I appreciate your response it was positive . I was there in July last year and saw the construction . Congrats to all and best wishes . On my next trip I will drop in for sure .
    St. Lucy big up . Long overdue .

13. Andy March 27, 2015 at 3:06 pm

“Lord have mercy”,,, Why do somepeople seek turn everything into a colour. I have seen many “romantic ads” with “black people” What i got from this was simply visitors to the island. But you see we will always be enslaved accoding tom Bob Marley… “Free your minds”…Oh and when the visitors see these comments what do they think of us as a people and would they want to come bacK?…always negativity negativity!!!!!!!!!!and from what i see 38 visits…come on people .!!!

14. Harry Roberts March 27, 2015 at 7:56 pm

Well Mr. Baker I was there for lunch the first Sunday after the Cave opened & there a number of black people enjoying the food & atmosphere. When I read comments like yours i sadly realize that free education was been wasted in Barbados!