Fire strikes in Chapman Street
Major disaster was averted in The City early this afternoon after fire broke out at an abandoned building in Chapman Street.
There were no reports of injuries or damage to nearby buildings.
However, the two-storey wood and wall structure was partially damaged, mostly on the inside.
As a precautionary measure, Shikir Bhana and his family, who spotted the fire, told Barbados TODAY that two elderly neighbours and a disabled boy were moved from their home close by.
“The fire started at the back, on the left hand side in one of the rooms. It was a little fire, but by the time we called the fire station, the whole top was already on fire and it just spread. Luckily, it didn’t start from the bottom, and we just had to take the people out from next door – they were two elderly ladies between 70 and 80 years old and a disabled boy who could not walk. So we had to take them out because the smoke was affecting them really bad. [We] took them out on wheelchairs, me and my cousins moved them to another location,” Bhana explained.
Two fire tenders responded to the fire which was quickly brought under control. Police investigations are continuing.