DPP still waiting on shooting file
It could be another three months before the official file on last weekend’s fatal shooting by a police officer of 57-year-old Selwyn Knight reaches the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).
When contacted today, the DPP Charles Leacoock told Barbados TODAY that he was not yet in possession of the file. And, based on past experience, Leacock said he did not expect to do so “in under three months” time.
Sunday’s incident has also left Knight’s 27-year-old son Junior nursing gunshot wounds to the back. At the time, the victims were reportedly seeking to pin down a thief who had earlier broken into their Queen Mary Road, Bank Hall home.
So far the identity of the male officer involved has not been released nor has any criminal charges been brought against him.
However, in an interview with Barbados TODAY earlier this week, acting Police Commissioner Tyrone Griffith revealed that the unnamed officer had been benched and was presently receiving counselling. He also promised that no stone would be left unturned in getting to the bottom of the matter.
When contacted today, acting Superintendent John Annel said that “investigations are continuing”.
In the meantime, 27-year-old Jamal Amal Skeete of Bedford Lane, Greenfield, St Michael has been convicted of the burglary of the Knights’ home. He appeared before Magistrate Douglas Frederick on Tuesday and was sent to prison for two years.