Call for justice for Selwyn Knight and son
Social activist and head of the Clement Payne Movement David Comissiong is demanding justice for Selwyn Knight who was killed by police last week, as well as his son Junior who was shot in the same incident.
In a statement issued this afternoon, Comissiong expressed concern that a week after the shooting, no charges have been brought against the policeman who pulled the trigger.
“I would like to take this opportunity to admonish my fellow Barbadian citizens that this most recent shooting and the way it is being treated by the authorities demands a public expression of outrage on our part,” he said.
“If we do not speak up and denounce the highly unsatisfactory manner in which this matter is being treated, and also demand justice for the late Selwyn Knight and his son, Junior Jamar Knight, we will – by our silence and inaction – be sending a very wrong and a very dangerous message to the officers of the Royal Barbados Police Force and to our entire society.”
The deceased Knight, 57, and his 27-year-old son were shot in Dash Gap, Bush Hall, St Michael last Sunday as they tried to recover items from Jamal Skeete who had broken into their nearby Queen Mary Road, Bank Hall home.
The police officer has been suspended and yesterday, Director of Public Prosecutions Charles Leacock told Barbados TODAY that it could be another three months before the official file on the fatal shooting reached his office.
Comissiong said that as “distressing and amazing” as this state of affairs was, it was not surprising.
He alleged that it was “par for the course” where police shootings of civilians in Barbados is concerned, noting that he was not aware of a single instance in which a police officer was charged with the wrongful death of a civilian.