October 23, 2016 - Remembering David Thompson Today marks the sixth anniversary o ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Today’s weather The Barbados Meteorological office ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Lashley urges innovation Minister of Culture, Youth and Spor ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Christmas Wonderland is back After a 12-year break, Simpson Moto ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Husbands wins St James South nomination Sandra Husbands has been elected th ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Burst main near Springer Memorial A crew from the Barbados Water Aut ... +++

Family distraught over police shooting of patriarch

A grieving son tonight is demanding answers about the tragic death of his father.

With tears streaming down his face and two bullet wounds in his back, Junior Knight is questioning why his 57-year-old dad, Selwyn, was shot dead allegedly by a policeman in Dash Gap, Bank Hall, St Michael around 6:50 a.m. yesterday.

Junior Knight could not hold back the tears.

Junior Knight could not hold back the tears.

The tragedy occurred as the 27-year-old man and his father were chasing a thief who had broken into their Queen Mary Road, Bank Hall home and stole a tablet computer.

Knight said he had to leave his father lying unconscious on the ground and run from the firearm which was still going off.

During an interview with Barbados TODAY this afternoon, Knight, who was injured in the incident, said he was robbed of a man he looked up to and “a friend” he had planned to watch football with later that evening.

Junior Knight showing the gunshot wounds he received to his back.

Junior Knight showing the gunshot wounds he received to his back.

“How I see it is that I just accept that my old man gone for nothing because it could have been done different than that . . .,” he said.

It all started when Knight’s father shouted to inform him that their house had just been broken into and the burglar, who was wearing a hoody, had just left the property.

“When I come out from my bedroom where I could see straight down the walkway, I see the fella run through the track right in front the house next door to me that would lead you to the next gap.

“When you go cross the other side, there is a track that would lead you to the main road. So I knew that would have to be the road that he take. I put on my clothes fast and tell my father, ‘let we go’,” he recalled as family members, who were gathered in the living room, listened in.

Knight said when he and his father drove to the bottom of their gap, they stopped where his mother, Marleen Knight, a well-known newspaper vendor, was selling to notify her that their house had just been robbed and to urge her to call the police.

“We turned right to go to the stop lights and when we got to the stop lights, we turned right again to carry you to Bank Hall Main Road and we turned on to First Avenue and when we got to the top of the avenue which would put you in Dash Gap, we saw the fella walking going towards the hard court.”

Knight said his father stopped the vehicle and he got out and approached the suspect whom he asked to hand over a child’s tablet they believed he had stolen from the house.

“And he tell me that he don’t know what I was talking about. I then asked him, ‘well what you was doing in my house then?’ He tell me that he don’t know what I was talking about.

“But then when my father got out of the vehicle, because my father was the [one who] confronted him at our front door first, he stepped back and draw a knife from he waist. I hold on to the knife with my left hand and hold his shirt with my right hand.

“I get the knife out of he hand and throw the knife one side,” he continued. “I trip he up and put he on the ground and tell my father come and take out the tablet from he pocket.

“Even though he tell me that he ain’t had it, the tablet was sticking out from his pocket and I know my niece’s tablet because they would take stickers from at school and stick them on the tablets,” he said.

Knight said as his father was about to reach for the tablet, he heard gunshots and saw his father stumbling towards the front of the vehicle.

“So when I let go the fella now to go to my father, I ended up getting shoot in my back and when the shot hit me, I fell to the ground.

“And when I turned, [his] head hit my foot and I hold he and I holler for he and then I realized that he wasn’t responding,” the son recalled.

He said when he realized that his father, an easy-going individual who loved his family, was lifeless and the shooter was still aiming at him, he decided that his best option at that time was to flee the scene.

“When I turn around, he [alleged thief] was still there, but the man [shooter] was still aiming at we too. So I tell myself I can’t dead here, I had to get up and run from here.

“I come back home and tell my mother come and carry me to the hospital but I had to let them know that my father was still out there and that he get shoot.”

Still visibly shaken, a saddened Knight said at that time, “in my heart, I know that my father was dead.”

“When he put he head on my foot and I was shaking he and realized that he wasn’t responding, I know that he wasn’t there,” he said.

The salesman at WIBISCO, who was shot in his upper and lower back, said what angered him was that the shooter did not inform them that he was a policeman.

“. . . all he had to come and say was, he is police. We would have been glad to hear that and say, ‘well police, this man now break in we house and we got the tablet here to show.”

When asked if he regretted going after the thief, Knight indicated that if they had not, his dad would still be here with him.

Marleen, who was married to the deceased for 25 years, was too distraught to speak and had to be consoled by friends and family after she broke down.

Widow Marleen being comforted by a family member.

A flashback to Selwyn and Marleen Knight on their wedding day.

Meanwhile, the deceased man’s stepson Jomo Savoury is appealing to anybody who may have information about the incident to contact the police.

Police public relations officer, acting Assistant Superintendent of Police, David Welch, said investigations into the matter were continuing.

20 Responses to DADDY GONE

1. Christina Morris
    Christina Morris March 17, 2015 at 12:28 am

So sad.tears,tears

2. Debra Miller
    Debra Miller March 17, 2015 at 12:44 am

Innocent man gone so sad Rip

3. Frannie Sweets
    Frannie Sweets March 17, 2015 at 12:48 am

Rip to ur dad Junior

4. Sherrie Brandy Bowen
    Sherrie Brandy Bowen March 17, 2015 at 12:50 am

this ,,,is a very sad story but ,,I’m praying at least 1 person in this little island reading about this tragedy,,,would understand material things can be replaced when your life is taken it is gone forever …may SELWYN RIP AND HIS FAMILY HEAL,,,,,,,,,,,,SAD VERY SAD

5. Divine Ingrid Johnson
    Divine Ingrid Johnson March 17, 2015 at 12:59 am

Why would the police shoot without identifying himself…so sad… another innocent life taken…..May his soul RIP…..and justice be served…

6. Patranell Callender
    Patranell Callender March 17, 2015 at 1:09 am

Truly sad my condolences to the family

7. Baj Beau
    Baj Beau March 17, 2015 at 1:27 am

There are no words worthy enough to be spoken. May the truth be uncovered.

8. Deidre Speed-Queen Mayers
    Deidre Speed-Queen Mayers March 17, 2015 at 1:38 am

RIP and rise in glory

9. Andrew Charles
    Andrew Charles March 17, 2015 at 1:48 am

So tragic.
    Why would a police shoot without identifying himself… he a rookie?
    This was senseless.
    And starting it off was that the thief was considered a “friend” of the family. One can never let others into the home……they become envious.

10. Frank Fowler
    Frank Fowler March 17, 2015 at 2:39 am

What other information do they need? The policeman obviously acted recklessly and took an innocent life and almost took a second one at that. The only information they need to get is from the shooter and he’s a police officer. R.I.P.

11. Gina Harewood
    Gina Harewood March 17, 2015 at 2:42 am

I was visiting barbados 2007 .I was staying at butterfly beach hotel on maxwell road christ church. I remember the police was chasing some man .Over some domestic. I couldn’t believe the way the police started shooting after the man in street. I was there with my grandchildren I had to run for cover because the police didn’t give a dam who they hit they just started shooting ignoring the safety of passing people they never thought about the risk .I told the police man if he was in England he would get he’ll shooting like that he could of killed anyone. I’m not surprised to hear this story my prayers and thoughts go to the man’s family god be with them xx

12. Sandra Eaddy
    Sandra Eaddy March 17, 2015 at 3:30 am

13. Karen F-Glasgow
    Karen F-Glasgow March 17, 2015 at 4:46 am

We the people of Barbados demand this cop be charged

14. Sue Donym March 17, 2015 at 5:48 am

@ Frank Fowler: your first two sentences are my thoughts in a nutshell. Were it a civilian, by now there’d be a string of charges even if the burglary had occurred in the shooter’s house. And we would have heard the well known “assisting police with the investigation”. If ANYONE has taken criminal action, the loudest sound we hear cannot be that of foot-dragging in this case.

15. Joyann March 17, 2015 at 6:18 am

Wunna Bajans is something else none of you have heard from the police officer who fired the gun but wunna believe this story. This story makes absolutely no sense what so ever these are the police officers that protects us everyday and we have such little faith in them. This story is completely different from what I saw in the Nation when they first reported some story about somebody running into a house. Why you all don’t wait for the truth. Unless this thief is the police officer son what reason would an officer have to just see 3 people scuffling and instead of drawing his weapon and seeking answers he shoots two and leave one. Wunna serious? Even if it was his son, according to this man’s report they were just holding the thief so again why would the officer shoot? Oh I know. The officer sent the thief to get the computer.

16. dwayne jordan March 17, 2015 at 8:35 am

As I said before,,police seemed to be trained to shoot first ask questions later, why cant they see the folly of that practice.

17. tessa March 17, 2015 at 7:48 pm

rest in peace my condolences to the family clearly some people are in a twilight zone to think the cops cant commit crimes humm clearly the ones that where charge couple weeks ago where mock police . these injustice need to stop.
    its a pity inspector welch Team find the missing electronic devices but cant find where the bullets come from.

18. Me me March 18, 2015 at 12:21 am

Is this policeman been charge, what about shooting a man in the back twice? But i know the system all too well. Protecting they own. But remember Retribution is the mother of all, RIP brother. Your murderer time will come its called KARMA.

19. patricia williams March 18, 2015 at 9:52 am

May his soul Rip hope his family could find peace it is very sad

20. Ormond Mayers April 7, 2015 at 9:05 am

This is very sad. An innocent man shot dead and his son seriously sustained gun shots injuries, in the pursuit of
    their lawful property. What is bizarre , the thug is now under the care of the State, for the next two years and the police Officer is roaming free . What was the justification for the use of the excessive force?