Phone traced

Senator’s cell in another man’s possession

COURT TODAY BLOCKPolice Constable Frank Olton was the lone witness when the trial of two men accused of robbing a Government Senator of a cellular phone in October 2011, continued in Supreme Court No. 5 this morning, before Justice Olson Alleyne.

Reneko Jamal Taylor, 22, of Block 5F Division Drive, Eden Lodge, St Michael and Jermaine Julian Andre Worrell, 23, of Hinds Hill, Cave Hill, St Michael, are accused of robbing Senator Irene Sandiford-Garner of a $1,000 cellular phone on October 12, 2011. Worrell faces an additional count of unlawful wounding.

Principal Crown Counsel Elwood Watts is prosecuting the matter in which Taylor is being represented by attorneys-at-law Marlon Gordon and Saffiya Moore, while Kendrid Sargeant is appearing for accused Worrell.

Testifying today, Olton recalled going to Paradise Village, Christ Church and seeing a man there whom he suspected of having the cell phone. He spoke to the man, who consented to a search and the cellular phone was found on him. That man then accompanied him to the Black Rock Police Station.

Asked why he had gone to that location, the cop said it was based on information he had received. He went on to say that he found the pin number recorded under the battery when he removed it.

Questioned about the statements which he recorded from the complainant, Olton said he did so first in October and  he later took a second one, pertaining to the same investigation.

Under cross-examination by Kendrid Sargeant, Olton agreed that he received a medical report form from the complainant on October 12, 2011. When it was put to the constable that it was handed over to him weeks after, Olton said that was not so.

He said it was the same phone which Sandiford-Garner identified as hers, after comparing it to a pin number which was recorded on the original box, as well as when she looked under the battery.   

Asked whether the man on whom he found the phone was in the dock today, the police man said he was not and as far as he was aware, that man was never charged in connection with the robbery.

Olton also recalled that the vehicle was processed by the Forensic Scenes of Crime Unit but to the best of his knowledge, no fingerprints were found.

In response to defence counsel Marlon Gordon, the witness said he first became involved in the matter when he went to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital.

Cross-examination is expected to continue on Thursday when the case continues.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *