News Feed

October 26, 2016 - Wanted man bulletin Police are seeking the assistance o ... +++ October 26, 2016 - School feeding programmes could help fight NCDs A food and nutrition official has i ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Government has run out of options – Arthur Government’s fiscal policy is inf ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Sick airline A top official of regional airline ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Teachers back away from court threat The Barbados Union of Teachers (BUT ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Beacon supports regulatory move Beacon Insurance Company is giving ... +++

Kieran Pollard taking a break

PORT-OF-SPAIN, Trinidad –– West Indies all-rounder Kieron Pollard is to take an “indefinite break” from first class cricket, according to Trinidad and Tobago Cricket officials.

The confirmation came shortly after Pollard took five for 36 yesterday for T&T in a 175-run loss against the Windward Islands in the WICB Professional Cricket League (PCL) at the National Cricket Centre in Couva.

He will be out of the Red Force team for their next PCL four-day match against current leaders Guyana Jaguars in Guyana starting Friday.

Kieron Pollard

Kieron Pollard

“Pollard has informed the TTCB that he is taking an indefinite break from first class cricket,” said the TTCB facebook page.

“Pollard is now unavailable for selection for the remainder of matches in the WICB Professional Cricket League Four-Day tournament”.

Earlier this season opening batsman Adrian Barath, who has virtually disappeared from international cricket on account of poor form, pulled out of the team saying he, too, was taking a break.

Pollard’s announcement comes on the heels of countrymen Dwayne Bravo and Lendl Simmons’ retirement from Test cricket.

Simmons is currently in the West Indies ODI team taking part in the ICC World Cup in New Zealand and Australia.

Media reports from Port of Spain said Pollard sent an email to the CEO of the T&T Cricket Board and the team selectors informing them of the situation.

Pollard’s appearance against the Windward Islands was his first match for T&T since the NAGICO Super50 tournament in January, hosted by T&T.

He returned to the T&T line up against the Windwards after recovering from a leg injury.

“He [Pollard] said the stress and strain of the four-day cricket was taking a toll on his body,” said T&T Cricket Board chairman of selectors Alec Burns.

“Well it is up to him, when he is ready he will return.”

Pollard, 27, has played a mere handful of four-day matches for Trinidad and Tobago over the past three years. He is expected to turn out for the Mumbai Indians in the imminent India Premier League.

Fast bowler Shannon Gabriel and batsman Mark Deyal have been included in the T&T squad to face Guyana in the next round of the WICB four-day competition.

Gabriel replaces Daniel St Clair, who is suffering with a kidney infection and Deyal comes in for Akeal Hosein, who has had a disappointing season.

2 Responses to Kieran Pollard taking a break

  1. Francis McClean
    Francis McClean March 10, 2015 at 10:06 pm

    Take a what? Is he sick? Take a what? I dun

  2. harry turnover March 12, 2015 at 8:05 am

    He doesn’t want to be embarrassed by the Guyana spinners in the next match…plain and simple.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *