October 26, 2016 - Wanted man bulletin Police are seeking the assistance o ... +++ October 26, 2016 - School feeding programmes could help fight NCDs A food and nutrition official has i ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Government has run out of options – Arthur Government’s fiscal policy is inf ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Sick airline A top official of regional airline ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Teachers back away from court threat The Barbados Union of Teachers (BUT ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Beacon supports regulatory move Beacon Insurance Company is giving ... +++

Watchman harassed by search party members

As discussion continues about the massive search for missing woman Karen Harris last weekend, a watchman at Buttals Plantation in St George is reporting he was harassed by three members of the search party.

According to David Sam, the three men aggressively approached him and pursued him into a canefield last Friday night, never once explaining that they wanted to find out if he knew anything about Harris’ whereabouts.

Watchman David Sam

Watchman David Sam

“I was inside the hut and I see this light and when the light come down they spot the light in the hut so I got scared because I didn’t know what had happened. So after I saw the light go down, I said ‘well I goin leave the hut and go down by the manager’ . . . but the manager was sleeping hard,” he recounted.

Sam explained that on leaving the home of the manager whom he referred to only as Mr Ward, he was again approached by the three men in a vehicle.

“I ran, I ran inside the cane. So when I go down in the cane, they put more speed, they tell me ‘hold! hold! hold!’ so, I couldn’t do anything, I had to stop,” he told Barbados TODAY.

“I did frighten because after I ran the men still put on speed chasing me down with the van. I only had a flashlight, they see me with the flashlight you know and they still run me down. They must expect is watch I watching.”

The watchman, who said he was employed to oversee the plantation’s crop following a spate of robberies, further explained that the men did not inform him about what was happening at the time.

“Before they explain and tell me what happen, they asking me who I working for . . . I tell them that I working for Mr Ward. They ask, ‘who you?’ and I tell them. They ask me if I have a number for Mr Ward and I say ‘yes’.”

He said that the ordeal left him so shaken that he was unable to give the men the correct number at first.

Sam went on to say that it was only after he had given the correct number and the men were able to speak with Mr Ward, that the situation calmed down and he found out why they were pursuing him.

“They had me there hold up so long, I say to myself ‘but why they holding me up so long so for?’. But they didn’t tell me about this woman . . . so I did really frighten,” he said.

Despite the ordeal, Sam said he would continue his job as a watchman: “That wouldn’t stop me, man.”

13 Responses to Watchman harassed by search party members

1. Ike Turner
    Ike Turner March 3, 2015 at 11:16 pm

This is a hard one here,

2. Stephen D Stewart
    Stephen D Stewart March 3, 2015 at 11:56 pm

He needs to get a different job…watchman job doesn’t suit him….you can’t be running away when the thieves come….

3. Stephen D Stewart
    Stephen D Stewart March 3, 2015 at 11:56 pm

4. Mark King
    Mark King March 4, 2015 at 12:08 am

Absolutely. Frighten watchman .Stupse at the nation lol

5. Simone Arthur
    Simone Arthur March 4, 2015 at 12:14 am

David Davis I cannot understand how you see this as being okay. On so many levels the action of these men were dead wrong!

6. Stephen D Stewart
    Stephen D Stewart March 4, 2015 at 12:18 am

The nation waste of paper like to sensationalise stories….the reporter must have watched Mississippi burning….

7. Khandy Apple
    Khandy Apple March 4, 2015 at 1:44 am

well if he had a gun he wudnt gah run cause he cudda shoot dem asszz yah right to run live to see another day …..why shud he stand an be brave to mek he family gah make funeral plans stupse de people killin yah

8. Adam Forester
    Adam Forester March 4, 2015 at 2:00 am

Wana talking but we dont even treat one another good

9. Latoya Shakera Belle
    Latoya Shakera Belle March 4, 2015 at 2:29 am

They should have identified themselves on arrival had he had a gun imagine the outcome of that situation 1. He scared and foolish shoots would have been fired 2. Someone dead…
    People need to understand there is a right and wrong way to deal with stuff

10. bajanguyster March 4, 2015 at 9:16 am

that is the kind of foolishness that this country of mind allow people that have a few cent can do ,i i am so sick on my country ,
    why dont these people tell the real story of what happen karen

11. Carl Harper March 4, 2015 at 10:44 am

This circumstances surrounding the search for and discovery of Karen Harris have gone from unprecedented and bizarre to frightening. If it isn’t members of the search party hurling expletives (cursing) at Nation photographer Lennox Devonish in the line of his work, white men are harassing another black man, David Sam, on his job.

These two incidents of intimidation and the massive deployment of resources to find Harris, while the missing Clarence Blackman went unnoticed at the same time, have brought to light what most people know exist in Barbados, but are only prepared to talk about in hushed tones in private conversations–racism and classism are alive on this little island.

Why should Sam be made to fear for his life, at his legitimate place of employment, by over-zealous white men who were in search of one of their own? Both Sam and Devonish should file reports with the police that they felt threatened and harrassed by these individuals in the line of their duties. Given the glaring presence of “two Barbadoses”, it is doubtful anything will become of the incidents.

The police, soldiers and other agencies cannot fend off criticisms that they handled the Harris matter differently from any other person who has gone missing in Barbados. Over the past two years more than 20 persons were reported missing, and no massive operations of this scale, including command centers, were conducted.

The questions on everyone’s lips is: who gave the directive to deploy all Government resources to search for Harris? Why was one key person allegedly left out the loop about the massive operation?

Meanwhile Pamela Holford is in tears over her missing 31-year-old son, Sidneato Holford, who disappeared on January 14 without a trace, and no one seems to care.

This modern-day “terrorizing” of Sam on the plantation must have awakened suppressed memories of the mistreatment our foreparents endured at the hands of their white masters during the dark period of slavery. Today, many black Bajans, head off to work in “air-conditioned plantations” in order to put “food on the table,” where the conditions take a more subtle form than in 17th century.

If this were the United States, one would think that we were about to witness the return of the infamous Jim Crow laws where whites segregated the races, chased down black men and lynched them with rope from a tree. Sam is lucky to be alive today, given what he mentioned about his terrifying ordeal.

As stated in previous postings, the insulting and cursing of the print media, and intimidation of news personnel by government MPs and the police, have set the tone and given confidence to a particular segment of society to boldly unleash “attacks” on these two hardworking sons of the soil this past weekend.

These days are funny nights.

12. Shelly-Ann Walkes March 4, 2015 at 10:46 am

Sir if you are able to identify these people, do get the police involve! I understand that people were desperate to find their love one but please let the rule of law prevail ……

• Harry Turnover March 4, 2015 at 2:05 pm

Get the Police involved and lose he job ??? the man musse already get some hush money and skinning he teet all the way to the Bank.