October 27, 2016 - United win Manchester derby Juan Mata struck to win a tight Man ... +++ October 27, 2016 - IAAF wants Bolt’s services KINGSTON, Jamaica – IAAF Pres ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Proper shutdown protocol needed, says Bynoe The Department of Emergency Managem ... +++ October 27, 2016 - ‘Out of touch’ Economist Ryan Straughn says the la ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Lowe looking to protect the south coast A senior policymaker has warned tha ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Road Hockey 5s hit halfway mark After three weeks of competition th ... +++

Mother jailed for stealing

COURT TODAY BLOCKEven though she tearfully begged Magistrate Douglas Frederick to give her “another chance”, a 56-year-old mother was jailed for six months today.

That was because Cheryl Delories Springer had a suspended sentence imposed on her by another magistrate in 2013 that required her to stay out of trouble for two years to avoid spending six months behind bars.

The crime she pleaded guilty to – stealing several items from Channell Supermarket – fell within the two-year window.

According to police, the Warrens Terrace, St Thomas resident stole tangerines, sweet peppers, sweet potatoes and carrots, with a total value of $27.89, from the Black Rock, St Michael supermarket on Saturday.

In examining her record, the magistrate commented on the fact that she had been coming before the courts on theft charges since 1980.

“You have been stealing a long time,” he said, noting that Springer had been fined on all the occasions before the 2013 suspended sentence.

“Sir, because I am not working. Times are hard,” the woman countered. “I am asking for leniency from the court, Sir. I am not going to do it again.”

“Have you ever worked?” asked Magistrate Frederick.

“Yes Sir, house cleaning . . . in 1983,” she replied.

Sobbing, the woman went on to say that she was the only one around to care for her teenage daughter.

“I have nothing and no one, Sir. I am asking for a chance, please. I did it because I was in need,” she pleaded.

“Let us reason together,” Magistrate Frederick then said. “Since 1980 you were shoplifting . . . I will not add any further time to the six months.”

The magistrate convicted, reprimanded and discharged Springer for the February 28 offence, but she will still be serving the six-month sentence since she breached the conditions of the suspended sentence.

11 Responses to Mother jailed for stealing

1. Stacy Duksey NigWig Darlington-Hinds
    Stacy Duksey NigWig Darlington-Hinds March 3, 2015 at 3:04 am

She was stealing food. Not material things. Shows how hards times are!!!

• Sharon Woolley
      Sharon Woolley March 3, 2015 at 3:44 am

This time she was, but what about the previous 35 years !

2. Dan Vaughn
    Dan Vaughn March 3, 2015 at 3:33 am

Stealing since 1980.Man she was stealing a long time.Doing it over and over stupse!!!!

3. Omar Wiggins
    Omar Wiggins March 3, 2015 at 5:32 am

Woman gone jail for 6 months and Jamaicans brought week here and get eight months

4. Tracy Holdipp
    Tracy Holdipp March 3, 2015 at 6:11 am

Wanna could read doa? She breached the suspended sentence that she was on, she was told to stay clear of trouble for two years and that was in 2013, she aint hear and now she will feel.. Look how many other mothers out there having a rough time so wanna would tell them to go and steal all because times rough? Poor excuse especially for a person that was doing it for a length of time.. If it was me that did it I would expect to be jailed as well.. Stop making excuses for people that don’t think straight.

5. Tony Webster March 3, 2015 at 6:25 am

I feel for this woman. She is a real-real poster-child, of where we are, and what we have become. And possibly, a shadow fore-telling coming events? I’m absolutely sure that Mag. Frederick pronounced sentence with a very heavy heart.
    When I go walking, I do not need economic graphs to appreciate our current miseries: one sees these reflected in strong-able-bodied men’s faces, at their favoured hang-outs. They accept a couple dollars with eyes down-cast, to get a “breakfast” of a bread-and-two…at 2.00pm! You also know the realities from the slowly-mouldering facades of once-proud little homes.
    If any Honourable Minister wishes to appreciate what I say, please park the Benz; call me; and we can take a walk together.
    Walking…is good for you!

6. Randy Forde March 3, 2015 at 9:41 am

I felt sorry for this woman why dident she pan handle/ beg on the streets she would have gotten more than $27.85, sorry for her teenage daughter who will take her in now? no one seems to care about the daughter what about her? sad very sad.

7. Stephen Lovell March 3, 2015 at 11:50 am

Sad, but she knew the consequences and should have taken her daughter into account.

8. Aldo March 3, 2015 at 12:09 pm

I feel bad for her daughter,she is the victim in this matter because of her mother bad behavior and a bad example for her daughter, barbados do have a welfare system I think or the salvation army never refuse a person or persons in distress she use stealing as a career, she have six month think about her stupid decisions, maybe she’ll grow up after her six months of mind setting.

9. Josh March 3, 2015 at 5:38 pm

I find it incredulous that so many of you commentators lack compassion for this woman. I understand that the judge’s hand was tied in light of the previous order against the woman but may be a community sentence (i.e 100 hrs of cleaning up the streets) would be more appropriate and worthy sentence for the theft of $27 of groceries? In particular, in a country where the speaker of the house can purportedly hold on to a disabled man’s $000’s for years; Parris and the CLICO debacle and not to mention the government apparently waiting for Barrack to dead before he gets his dues, the absence of fair play amongst Bajans and your short memories, is amazing. I would suspect that had this woman been out stealing flat screen TVs or other high end goods since 1980 she would have been in prison years ago. The fact that she is thieving sweet pepper and other basic food items is a testimony of how she has to live and what Barbados has become. My question is, why would the Government be contemplating restoring Sam Lord’s Castle as a tourism offer; building a high end hotel on Brandon’s beach, etc in an already saturated tourist market when many of its people are forced to forage for basic food items. I won’t even go there on the QEH! ‘Proportionality’ is the word I leave you all to ponder over.

10. Adrian Hinds March 4, 2015 at 10:48 am

Sad; maybe she has a psychological problem?