UPDATE-Missing woman back home safe
The intense 24-hour search for 49-year-old Karen Harris has ended with the Rowans Park, St George resident now said to be back home safe and sound.
Confirmation of this from family members and officials who were part of a 300-strong search party which had been out hunting for clues since last night in a feverish bid to locate the woman, who left home around 3p.m. Friday for a jog but could not be found after that.
The extensive search stretched from St George to St Joseph today. However, Harris was said to be at the home of a relative in Moonshine, Flat Rock, St George most of the time.
“Everyone we found Karen. She is safe. The police are on site with her now. Thank you for your help and support,” said a post carried on the official “Find Karen Harris” Facebook page tonight.
In a statement, the Harris family also expressed “heartfelt thanks to the hundreds of people that volunteered to assist in the search.
“We would also like to extend our gratitude to the Barbados Police Force, the Barbados Defence Force and the Roving Response Team for their assistance in co-ordinating the search.
“We also want to acknowledge and express our appreciation to all the media channels and local businesses for their assistance in informing the public. Words cannot express our appreciation right now,” they added in the statement, in which it was reported that the missing woman was found safe at 6:45 p.m.
Police spokesman David Welch also confirmed to Barbados TODAY shortly after 7 p.m. that the search had been called off for Harris, who is a mother of two girls and the wife of businessman Kyle Harris.
He however said he could not confirm reports that the woman, who did not show any signs of physical injury, was having family problems.
Today’s search involved police, army and RSS officials, the Roving Response Team, as well as scores of Barbadian civilians who joined in the effort.