QEH probes claims made by Canadian couple
A full investigation has been launched into claims by two Canadian visitors, who allegedly suffered a “horrifying” 15-hour ordeal in the Accident & Emergency Department of the Queen Elizabeth Hospital (QEH) last month.
QEH’s Chief Executive Officer Dr Dexter James told Barbados TODAY that after reading their story on the back page of the February 18 edition of this newspaper, he immediately ordered that a thorough probe be carried out, and was currently awaiting the findings.
“Different departments are pulling together their recollection of the event and at the appropriate time we will have a response,” James said in a brief interview on Friday.
Speaking from his home in Stouffville, Ontario, Canada on Wednesday afternoon, 61 year old David Taylor detailed what he said was nothing short of the couple’s “worst nightmare”.
He also reported that their month-long honeymoon was effectively ruined after his wife Pamela, 64, was transported to the hospital with a broken leg.
The Canadian, who is of Barbadian descent, said upon arrival at the QEH, his wife was placed in the hallway on a stretcher and “completely” ignored for hours. He also charged that despite his relentless efforts to get some pain relief for his wife, he was met with “continuous indifference and a total lack of patient care, and compassion by all hospital staff”.